C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can windshield wipers work without the wiper controll module on 78-82 vettes

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Can windshield wipers work without the wiper controll module on 78-82 vettes

The windshield wipers don't work on my 79 anymore. They just quit working. This occurred 4 years ago and I have not had working wipers since. I purchased a new motor (bench tested and it works) a new wiper switch and the damn things still don't work. I have searched the forum and from the info it leads back to the wiper motor controller. Can it be bypassed so the wipers can work without it?
Old 12-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Yes.

Most Corvette vendors have a bypass harness that you can purchase. Some people here have made the harness themselves. You will only have two speed wipers when you use the bypass harness. Reproduction pulse controllers are available also.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:34 PM
HRoark2112
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I run my wipers in my 79, I get a sound that is almost like arcing as soon as I move the switch. Everything seems to work, but since I have the speedometer/tach and the center console removed, I'm thinking a total overhaul is in order.

My research has found a relay and a pulse control module. They look very different....are these separate components in the system in the 79?
Old 12-07-2014, 10:19 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by HRoark2112
When I run my wipers in my 79, I get a sound that is almost like arcing as soon as I move the switch. Everything seems to work, but since I have the speedometer/tach and the center console removed, I'm thinking a total overhaul is in order.

My research has found a relay and a pulse control module. They look very different....are these separate components in the system in the 79?
Yes they are separate components. I hope this bypass jumper the vendors sell works. It is something how come wiper systems like the ones of a few years ago weren't developed or used back then, delayed wiper design systems of today seem so much more reliable and simpler to repair/replace. Maybe the C3 wiper control system can be replaced with a modern system.

Last edited by Oldguard 7; 12-07-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:29 PM
HRoark2112
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK cool. I think I am going to try to do the relay first (since it's $12) and see what happens. It does sound like a relay noise.

Get notified of new replies

To Can windshield wipers work without the wiper controll module on 78-82 vettes

Quick Reply: Can windshield wipers work without the wiper controll module on 78-82 vettes