C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performer air gap vs performer

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 01:13 PM
cooper9811
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

I have to agree with gkull, I had a fuel boiling problem with my intake as well - took a heat shield and return line to solve it. I now run a heat shield and return regardless of carb/intake.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:24 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by gkull
i just based what i said from temp readings ive done on my two air gap single plane intakes. Aluminum is such a good heat conductor that temps are consistant the full length of the intake runner. i had a carb boiling problem and the wood thermal spacer cured the problem
I hear ya. I too doubt there's much of a difference, I'm just thinking with the engine at speed you get airflow underneath the manifold and it helps cool it..some. Good idea on the wood spacer. I wish I had the space for one..don't think I do.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:08 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,152 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
I'm going to have to disagree with this.

The air gap manifold has the advantage of not having hot oil splash the bottom of the plenum. Unless you can get a temp gun underneath the manifold, you can't really measure a temp difference of the plenum floor.

As with everything, it's all incremental. H-pipes, X-pipes, Air Gap manifolds.. they all add up and the car will run better.
Are you sure that this difference isn't more due to the exhaust crossover present in the Performer RPM rather than the hot oil?

I use the RPM with the crossover blocked off, and I have a lifter valley splash shield. I also have a 1/2" open spacer. All are port matched and the inside of the RPM has been "massaged" and this probably outflows an Air Gap.

When CarCraft ran the RPM and Air Gap manifolds on the same engine, IIRC the difference was about 3 hp at the top end. Block off the heat riser and cut down the plenum (maybe killing a bit of lower end torque) the difference is probably nil.

The RPM and Air Gap are reported to be the same height.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:13 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,152 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by c69vete
I also run a flat hold down screw, not a wing nut.

Be really careful when making intake changes and using a stud in the carb. for holding the air cleaner on. You do not want that hole in the middle of the hood. I use lightly balled up wads of aluminum foil for checking clearances when making changes.
If you use the correct GM air cleaner lid and wing nut, there is little chance of this happening. (But you could hit the lid.) The correct GM top cover has a much deeper dish in the center (and is better at turning the air into the carb) and the stud and wing nut can fit entirely within the dished area. Of course the center is a bit higher around the indent.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:17 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by toddalin
Are you sure that this difference isn't more due to the exhaust crossover present in the Performer RPM rather than the hot oil?

I use the RPM with the crossover blocked off, and I have a lifter valley splash shield. I also have a 1/2" open spacer. All are port matched and the inside of the RPM has been "massaged" and this probably outflows an Air Gap.

When CarCraft ran the RPM and Air Gap manifolds on the same engine, IIRC the difference was about 3 hp at the top end. Block off the heat riser and cut down the plenum (maybe killing a bit of lower end torque) the difference is probably nil.

The RPM and Air Gap are reported to be the same height.
Could be.. I dunno. I have an RPM Air Gap. Sounds like there are 4 versions, Performer and RPM, both having the optional Air Gap.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:30 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by gkull
i had a carb boiling problem and the wood thermal spacer cured the problem
I fought this problem on couple cars w Holleys. Did not have room for a spacer. If am Air Gap helps even a little...next time I try one for sure!
Old 12-09-2014, 03:36 PM
fastbruce
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikem350
I fought this problem on couple cars w Holleys. Did not have room for a spacer. If am Air Gap helps even a little...next time I try one for sure!
It solved mine on my Nova SS Big Block so when I got the Vette and had the same problem I immediately changed to a RPM Air Gap and it fixed it
Old 12-10-2014, 04:43 AM
Postal123
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't forget about body mounts when making hood fitment comparisons...aluminum vs rubber/poly and/or condition of rubber/poly. My '68 with new poly body mounts, RPM Air Gap, PJ III (Dominator dimensions) and 3" element on a flat base are about 1.75" above my '68 small block hood lines (have a '67 BB scoop)...so an early small block hood would work with an Air Gap intake if a drop base is used, but I'd say 2" drop base on poly or up to 3" on aluminum or aged body mounts...

Note: the PJ III uses a 1/4" throttle body spacer
Old 12-10-2014, 11:01 PM
MyRed69
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

'69 with a 383, air gap and Quick Fuel 750, poly mounts. I have only test fitted the stock S/B hood (since the car is not finished yet) I have only about 1/2 inch (maybe) above the carb without an air filter... I picked up a stock small block hood at the Kissimmee NCRS show to play around with and make a testbed hood similar to a Z06 hood and keep it as low profile as possible. So, LONG answer to part two of your question; no, an air gap will not fit under your stock S/B hood (with an air cleaner)
Old 12-11-2014, 06:34 AM
fastbruce
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MyRed69
'69 with a 383, air gap and Quick Fuel 750, poly mounts. I have only test fitted the stock S/B hood (since the car is not finished yet) I have only about 1/2 inch (maybe) above the carb without an air filter... I picked up a stock small block hood at the Kissimmee NCRS show to play around with and make a testbed hood similar to a Z06 hood and keep it as low profile as possible. So, LONG answer to part two of your question; no, an air gap will not fit under your stock S/B hood (with an air cleaner)
Mine fits just fine with a Air Cleaner
Old 12-11-2014, 07:10 AM
Postal123
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fastbruce
Mine fits just fine with a Air Cleaner
So Fastbruce, you've got a '75 small block on rubber or poly body mounts, an RPM Air Gap, 3" air cleaner and no issues...are you using a drop base?

I just want to clarify since the hoods were different among years...

v/r,
Rob
Old 12-11-2014, 08:02 AM
c69vete
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

It has been a while since I have posted these pics. Maybe they will help out.

Assuming the GM aluminum intake is an aluminum version of the cast iron intake. The air gap shown is the Performer air gap. It is on my car now. The Performer RPM is the tallest and I believe the Performer Air Gap RPM is the same height. ( not shown ) I think the Performer was a copy of the original LT-1 aluminum intake.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:29 PM
fastbruce
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Postal123
So Fastbruce, you've got a '75 small block on rubber or poly body mounts, an RPM Air Gap, 3" air cleaner and no issues...are you using a drop base?

I just want to clarify since the hoods were different among years...

v/r,
Rob
Energy poly mounts, RPM Air Gap, Proform 3 inch AC with whatever drop that is, I just had a bunch of teeth pulled this morning so im couch bound for today or I would measure the Air Cleaner drop
Old 12-11-2014, 06:11 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,399 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

The communication in some threads can drive a guy crazy.....and every word means something. Truth is that Edelbrock makes a Performer intake, a Performer Air Gap intake, a Performer RPM intakes AND a Performer RPM Air Gap. That is FOUR different intakes.

I believe both RPM's, the regular RPM and the Air Gap RPM are advertised at exactly same height. Check the Edelbrock website.

The photos above can fool you, but the highest one is a Performer RPM, the Air Gap shown is a standard Performer Air Gap, NOT a Performer RPM Air Gap.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:59 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 569 Likes on 455 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

the R.P.M air gap on my car does take a while to warm up. as far as power difference? i think there is some difference. a lot of people say they notice no difference, normally those are people who don't tune for the new part. you need to optimize your combination for best results.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:01 PM
c69vete
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

I agree. If you read what I wrote, nowhere does it say that it is anything but a performer. I stated the performer RPM air gap is NOT shown. The Performer air gap is actually 1/8th of an inch taller than the Performer.

Last edited by c69vete; 12-11-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:07 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 569 Likes on 455 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by c69vete
It has been a while since I have posted these pics. Maybe they will help out.

Assuming the GM aluminum intake is an aluminum version of the cast iron intake. The air gap shown is the Performer air gap. It is on my car now. The Performer RPM is the tallest and I believe the Performer Air Gap RPM is the same height. ( not shown ) I think the Performer was a copy of the original LT-1 aluminum intake.
bless you for posting these pictures, i have been trying to tell people here that the L-82 intake is different than the performer and the L-82 intake is a generic q jet manifold ether its aluminum or not.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:41 PM
AWilson
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

ok, based on info from another thread I am going Performer. If I am looking at the pictures correctly it seems that it will be 7/16 inch taller than stock (assuming my stock 68 327 intake is the same height. That has to work because I could get a 1 inch drop if I must.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:35 AM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Where are the Smoky Mountain Cruisers? Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...manifold-test/

Pricey, but the composite seems to be an interesting option. To bad the link didn't run the duel plane intake.

Quick Reply: Performer air gap vs performer