C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drilling sts baffles?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 11:40 AM
druckle
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default drilling sts baffles?

While switching over to a TKO 500, I'm going to put on OBX side pipes with STS baffles. I have read that some drill the cap on the baffles and was wondering what size hole they start with and where most end up for a good sound without being overly obnoxious. My engine is a 410hp 350 with LT4 hot cam and Vortec heads with 2.02 and 1.60 valves. I have listened to the you tube videos but they don't say if they drilled them or how much. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:06 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Maybe you should try them before you drill them. They may be loud enough as is.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:57 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,604 Posts

I have them dont drill them to start with
Old 12-09-2014, 02:42 PM
dntoearthman
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would try them stock first, Mine were very restritive. I drilled mine 6 to 8ea 1/2'' holes on both ends, later that week, I removed the baffles and cut them in half & found they were really 2 baffles back to back. So i drilled the other half of the baffle, much louder & found by moving them forward or back in the tube changed to tone quite a bit. Also with the baffle forward the tubes were a whole lot cooler. Well after all that I bought some hooker inserts, they were nice, then one summer day in shorts I was on the cell phone with the door open, causually laid my leg out the door and dang if I thought I smelled bacon burning, wish it was. $200 dollors in med bills and 3 days outa work, so later that month I bought some relly nice heat guards to prevent that from happening again, after all that I decided I really liked the way my 68 looked without them & put the headers back on. Well thats my experience with them, good luck & be careful.

Mike
Old 12-09-2014, 10:54 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

I drilled mine 1/2", and they sound perfect. With the top down on the Roadster, you can carry on a conversation inside the car without yelling, yet you can pull up next to someone talking on their cell phone and make them hang up...

Lars
Old 12-10-2014, 09:25 AM
druckle
Advanced

I am looking for a deeper tone so does the position of the baffle change that? Mine are 30" so there isn't a lot of room to move back & forth. Also does drilling affect the tone, I have heard some say they sound a little tinny if that is a word!
Old 12-10-2014, 09:30 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by druckle
I am looking for a deeper tone so does the position of the baffle change that? Mine are 30" so there isn't a lot of room to move back & forth. Also does drilling affect the tone, I have heard some say they sound a little tinny if that is a word!
So you know what they sound like on your car? In your first post you indicated that they weren't installed yet.

IMO, if you want a deep tone, get the Hooker Max Flo's. No drilling required.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:57 AM
Tbone4432
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Pm

Check your mailbox.

Originally Posted by druckle
While switching over to a TKO 500, I'm going to put on OBX side pipes with STS baffles. I have read that some drill the cap on the baffles and was wondering what size hole they start with and where most end up for a good sound without being overly obnoxious. My engine is a 410hp 350 with LT4 hot cam and Vortec heads with 2.02 and 1.60 valves. I have listened to the you tube videos but they don't say if they drilled them or how much. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:02 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tbone4432
Check your mailbox.
Why so secretive?
Old 12-10-2014, 10:21 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by lars
I drilled mine 1/2", and they sound perfect. With the top down on the Roadster, you can carry on a conversation inside the car without yelling, yet you can pull up next to someone talking on their cell phone and make them hang up...

Lars
Perfect
Old 12-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Tbone4432
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default secretive???

Do you really need to know if I want to make a potential transaction with him? keep the thread on a positive note pls.
Originally Posted by bashcraft
Why so secretive?
Old 12-10-2014, 11:14 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tbone4432
Do you really need to know if I want to make a potential transaction with him?
Of course. We're all family here.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:16 AM
druckle
Advanced

I have no messages in my mailbox!
Old 12-10-2014, 11:22 AM
druckle
Advanced

Also, they are not installed yet, I just don't want to drill the tubes and find out they would have sounded better more forward or rearward. Just trying to learn from others experience. Thanks for the replies.
Lars, any insight on whether to install them more forward or rearward or does it even make a difference?
Old 12-10-2014, 11:51 AM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I have mildly built 350 and drilled mine 5/8". I really like the way they sound now. Doesn't get noisy until you get into the throttle and then it's pure music. Can't wait to hear them after I upgrade to stroker 383 and increase compression! If you get them too loud, you can always weld a new cap on and start over, albeit a real PITA to get off/on again.

It's all subjective . . . I thought they were too quiet when fully capped, so the next time I had them off, I drilled them out. As Lars pointed out, you can carry a conversation a low RPM. When on the interstate running 3000 RPM, they sound incredible, but man it sucks the gas!!! Overdrive tranny is my next project.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:08 PM
druckle
Advanced

Originally Posted by redman76
I have mildly built 350 and drilled mine 5/8". I really like the way they sound now. Doesn't get noisy until you get into the throttle and then it's pure music. Can't wait to hear them after I upgrade to stroker 383 and increase compression! If you get them too loud, you can always weld a new cap on and start over, albeit a real PITA to get off/on again.

It's all subjective . . . I thought they were too quiet when fully capped, so the next time I had them off, I drilled them out. As Lars pointed out, you can carry a conversation a low RPM. When on the interstate running 3000 RPM, they sound incredible, but man it sucks the gas!!! Overdrive tranny is my next project.
Were yours 30" long and where in the tube did you put them, more forward toward the headers or farther back towards the outlet? Thanks
Old 12-10-2014, 07:20 PM
cooper9811
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

I ran the STS baffles for a while, really liked the sound. I would not call it exceptionally deep, though.

I tried Hooker Max Flows recently, and those do sound a bit deeper to me - and I liked the sound even more.

As far as performance goes, my "Butt dyno" can't tell the difference...

Get notified of new replies

To drilling sts baffles?

Old 12-11-2014, 09:29 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

I have the STS baffles without being drilled.

I agree with others that the sound from the STS baffle can't be called "deep". I would classify it as "pure". It is a very sharp, mechanical sound that is more of a muffled straight pipe than a "toned" exhaust. I honestly don't know if that is a good or a bad thing, but it is a pretty good match to my solid roller engine.

If I had a more stock-ish engine, I would probably stick with the Max Flows since they seem to smooth the sound out a bit more.

I do not plan on drilling my baffles since they are quite loud enough. After driving my car around for anything more than an hour, it leaves me wanting to pop my ears. Not that the sound is at all similar, but it is that "darn I wish I had worn my ear protection before I ran the leaf blower for an hour" sort of feeling.

Maybe if my engine didn't "hit" as hard as it does, I could tolerate a little more sound. But I can handily scare women and children as it is. Couldn't imagine any more.

Last edited by keithinspace; 12-11-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:41 PM
druckle
Advanced

Thanks for all the replies, Every one of you gave me food for thought! I decided to drill 1/2" hole and make some noise!!!!
Old 12-12-2014, 02:16 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

i have the 2.5" sweet thunder inserts and they sound pretty good to me, anyone know how well all these inserts flow?

Quick Reply: drilling sts baffles?