C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water pump to heater core

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 10:28 AM
spankyusmc
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water pump to heater core

What is this piece it is in between the water pump and heater core it is in hose I'm trying to get a pic up. But having trouble Need help with both
Old 12-10-2014, 10:51 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

what year car? which engine? can you describe the part?
Old 12-10-2014, 11:32 AM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Always helps .

Does the part just hang there, not attached to the fender, in the heater hose line? probably the water control valve like this: http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1975-1978.html

Or could be an after market water shut off valve. If it is the one above you don't need to spend the $ on the expensive one. There is another style that works just as well and is cheaper.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:51 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Probably the hot water shut off valve depending on model year. Do you have the assembly instruction manual (AIM)? The AIM will show whether your car had the shut off valve.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:30 AM
spankyusmc
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spankyusmc
What is this piece it is in between the water pump and heater core it is in hose I'm trying to get a pic up. But having trouble Need help with both
it's an 78 it does look like the pic that karol has . I am shure it is some water control value. But it has vacuum line running in the fire wall .does this control the heater. The heat was all ways on. And I noticed that line running from the part to the fire wall was clasped. And thinking this is the problem why I couldn't shut down the heat

Last edited by spankyusmc; 12-11-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:15 AM
SLVRSHRK
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Yes, the HVAC system is all vacuum controlled, and when their is a loss of vacuum, it fails to heat (something about being designed in Detroit I guess )

Sounds like you have some troubleshooting to do.

If the vents are failing to heat (air flow to floor, and the temp is hot), you probably have a significant vacuum leak that is preventing the system from working at all.

If the vents are working and you just have high air temps, it is most likely isolated to the water control valve circuit.

If it is just the water control valve circuit, you can find the vacuum valve that controls vacuum to the valve on the upper side of the interior heater/AC box. The valve is controlled by a cable that comes from the temp slider on your center console and it simply pushes a plunger on the control valve. If you remove the glove box liner, you should be able to see the assembly.

You can test the valve by keeping it depressed and measuring the vacuum (with a gauge) at the valve. It needs vacuum to close the valve, so if you aren't getting vacuum with the plunger depressed, the issue is upstream or you have a bad control valve. You can test the proper functioning of the water valve by using a hand vacuum pump (like the one used to bleed brakes) and applying vacuum to the valve. If the water valve doesn't hold vacuum, or is simply not closing enough, you can replace with another valve. Some folks on the forum put in a ball valve and just control it manually since most of us just drive the car in the summer anyway.

Our systems are old and they deteriorate, so you may have a bad line somewhere.

Just take your time and be logical. You'll find the issue.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:44 PM
allpro2
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

didn't see an accurate reply thought someone might need the answer in the future. That is how this works right?
Old 08-04-2021, 02:30 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by allpro2
didn't see an accurate reply thought someone might need the answer in the future. That is how this works right?
Not sure what the post is providing, but its 7 years later.

Get notified of new replies

To water pump to heater core

Quick Reply: water pump to heater core