C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome front bumper conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 09:13 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Giant robot,
I have no idea why the chip, but whatever guy,

Peterbuilt,
Sharp looking car you have there, dig the 80 rear bumper...
I am not a white car person but yours makes it look good...

Condo,
Perhaps look up my build,

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...m-project.html

We are a bit akin in our thinking, I dropped a 454 in my 69 and have ZL-1 flares being added, I have several other mods including tilt clip, custom tail lights and scoop.

Hopefully I will have some update info soon, I scored a hood to start messing with my scoop ideas...
Old 12-16-2014, 07:13 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

"Very interesting threat................errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr r......THREAD!"

Personally, I like the '68 that has been modded to be a '76 poser.....doors and seats add extra weight----Huh, Bats.......

Old 12-16-2014, 09:46 AM
Condo_454C3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just took a look at your build, bats. I like where its going. You'll have to keep me posted on that!
Old 12-16-2014, 11:51 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by doorgunner
"Very interesting threat................errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr r......THREAD!"

Personally, I like the '68 that has been modded to be a '76 poser.....doors and seats add extra weight----Huh, Bats.......

I had no idea your car looked so cool...I also never knew before that any mod made the builder a poser...

Originally Posted by Condo_454C3
Just took a look at your build, bats. I like where its going. You'll have to keep me posted on that!
It's a budget real world build that's for sure...
Hopefully I will get an update soon, Tommy is installing the rear ZL-1 flares and doing lots of pictures so I can post a flare "how to"
there was a rust hole in the channel under the door post to the front , he is also fixing that, I can't wait to get it home and get going on it.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:52 PM
Condo_454C3
Racer

Looking forward to it. If you could have him snap some pictures of the brackets for the tilt front end that would be awesome. I really want to get started on my repairs
Old 12-16-2014, 02:06 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Looking forward to it. If you could have him snap some pictures of the brackets for the tilt front end that would be awesome. I really want to get started on my repairs
If you do a search for "tilt front" on here there is full tilt and another showing pictures,

Both the builds I directed you to on here tackle it very well, Ecklers tilts were ahem, crappy, bent tubes and pretty rickety, gave tilts a bad rap, but you do not need to waste time on overkill sloppy multi movement hinges,
With custom mods each of us do it a bit differently, make our own mouse trap,
I haven't done mine yet that will also be a lot of pictures showing what I do this time,

I have no problem looking how others do it taking from that and then making it my own, I was lucky to get to talk with several old timers who did lots of tilt clips and not just on vettes, one flaw with tilt clips is some are not as rigid as stock the old timers gave me some tips that are sweet and I have not seen done before,

The biggest key to a tilt front clip is where your pivot point/hinge point is, in general you want it as high up in the clip as possible, in my case I will still be running pop up headlights so it will be tricky, a trade off.

Another twist I might try is while most people glass the hood to the clip to make it one I might leave my hood cut, giving to a more stock look until I hit the switch and the entire clip opens up...
Old 12-16-2014, 02:52 PM
Condo_454C3
Racer

I have seen someone who has done the tilt but kept the functional hood. I think it's pretty cool for quick fixes but ultimately I think it looks better as 1 piece. Hopefully you will be starting your tilt build soon and can share some pictures.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:55 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

I've been thinking of doing the front and rear chrome bumper conversion on my 79. I put some numbers down and estimate it will cost about $9000 CDN for all new parts not including a paint job and hundreds of hours of my labour. But then I see pictures of 78/79's with pace car spoilers in a colour other than brown and think "They're a great looking car as is." and I'm not sure its worth the time and money.

I estimate about $2700 U.S. for the front and rear bumper pieces and all the associated bracketry new. Figure if I could get that stuff used it would be quite a bit cheaper. Contacted Western Corvette about places in Canada parting out C3's and they said the odds of finding any of the bumper bracketry used are slim to none. Not sure I believe that.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:26 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

back when they went to the bumper covers back in 74 i hated the look, when i bought a new Pace Car in 78 i hated it a bit less because the spoilers did help the look. the 80 and up came out it seemed better. but i never really got excited about them.
i really think i didn't like the late cars because the performance was terrible in comparison. since i have been working on My 79 i have grown to really like the later cars the best. for a design change the government stuck us with Chevrolet did a pretty good job of making it work compared to other cars.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:50 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Priya
I've been thinking of doing the front and rear chrome bumper conversion on my 79. I put some numbers down and estimate it will cost about $9000 CDN for all new parts not including a paint job and hundreds of hours of my labour. But then I see pictures of 78/79's with pace car spoilers in a colour other than brown and think "They're a great looking car as is." and I'm not sure its worth the time and money.

I estimate about $2700 U.S. for the front and rear bumper pieces and all the associated bracketry new. Figure if I could get that stuff used it would be quite a bit cheaper. Contacted Western Corvette about places in Canada parting out C3's and they said the odds of finding any of the bumper bracketry used are slim to none. Not sure I believe that.
finding it all used in one spot in an easy-o way...I think is slim,
I am not even sold you really like your vette...

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
back when they went to the bumper covers back in 74 i hated the look, when i bought a new Pace Car in 78 i hated it a bit less because the spoilers did help the look. the 80 and up came out it seemed better. but i never really got excited about them.
i really think i didn't like the late cars because the performance was terrible in comparison. since i have been working on My 79 i have grown to really like the later cars the best. for a design change the government stuck us with Chevrolet did a pretty good job of making it work compared to other cars.
Yes but you have to admit your 79 is an stunning example...
Old 12-16-2014, 07:00 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

thank you very much, im kind of partial to it. kind of low key almost stealthy
Old 12-16-2014, 07:00 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by The13Bats
finding it all used in one spot in an easy-o way...I think is slim,
I am not even sold you really like your vette...
Well, it kind of defeats the purpose if I can't find it all in one place.

I think I'd be a great deal more content with my 79 if it wasn't brown. That colour is a real turnoff for me. I actually enjoy driving my 81 AMC Eagle more. Its really not anywhere near as stylish a car but I think being purple and electric blue and colours I picked myself it makes it way more pleasing to me - I often find myself giggling just driving it. If my 79 had been hot pink when I bought it I think there's a good chance I wouldn't be considering a chrome bumper conversion or buying a 69 and putting a 79 interior into it.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:17 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

mine was born brown, i agree yuck. sometime i will tell the story of my car. hot pink,
Old 12-16-2014, 08:32 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Priya
Well, it kind of defeats the purpose if I can't find it all in one place.

I think I'd be a great deal more content with my 79 if it wasn't brown. That colour is a real turnoff for me. I actually enjoy driving my 81 AMC Eagle more. Its really not anywhere near as stylish a car but I think being purple and electric blue and colours I picked myself it makes it way more pleasing to me - I often find myself giggling just driving it. If my 79 had been hot pink when I bought it I think there's a good chance I wouldn't be considering a chrome bumper conversion or buying a 69 and putting a 79 interior into it.
Originally Posted by 7t9l82
mine was born brown, i agree yuck. sometime i will tell the story of my car. hot pink,
Okay...you got me on that one I cant say anything good about a brown car...
I know...a brown car CAN be painted a different color...
Old 12-16-2014, 09:01 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Saw that Josh has designed some fglass bumpers that can be painted or chromed. Pics look great and would be a far less expensive way to go than real chrome bumpers.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:20 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by gdh
Saw that Josh has designed some fglass bumpers that can be painted or chromed. Pics look great and would be a far less expensive way to go than real chrome bumpers.
Yeah...my friend mike made those molds
Old 12-16-2014, 10:51 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Are those front fiberglass bumper guards 68/69 style or 70-72 style, or both?

Get notified of new replies

To Chrome front bumper conversion?

Old 12-17-2014, 07:52 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Bats, from looking at the pucs Josh should give ypur friend a hefty Christmas bonus. The pic they posted with the top unpainted bumper on the blue 80/82 looks great.

Priya send them an email, they get back to ppl quickly. (Pic link sent via pm)

Last edited by gdh; 12-17-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:29 AM
Condo_454C3
Racer

CIC sent me an estimate of around $3500 for all new parts for the conversion. That doesn't include labor or paint so for anyone else looking into this job - I advise against it. Seeing as I own a body shop my labor is minimal and paint is "free" so I'm going to shop around for used parts and just refurb them myself. As far as the kit is concerned they do offer ways to modify your existing clips by grafting the hood surround and fenders of a 68-72 onto it so if you're handy that is a viable option.

Last edited by Tact; 12-17-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:15 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

CIC sent me an estimate of around $3500 for all new parts for the conversion. That doesn't include labor or paint so for anyone else looking into this job - I advise against it.
Suppose you're painting it anyway and doing all the labour yourself?

Quick Reply: Chrome front bumper conversion?