C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is this how u measure TA end play? w pix

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 03:03 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by learje
thx again everyone, ill make sure they check the spindles. they have been at this a long time, and ive dealt w them before so feel comfortable having them done at Tonys
You can count on them being out by at least a few thou. GM made little effort to ensure the surface was perpendicular to the shaft. The final machining to remove runout was done on the rotor surface after it was riveted in place.

If the shop eliminates spindle runout now, they'll have to replace the rotor or re-machine the existing one after assembly.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:26 PM
learje
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ill ask them to set them up howvwer they fell is best

i am using o ring calipers.......

if that matters
Old 12-20-2014, 09:04 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by tracdogg2
Very few trailing arm bearing failures give advanced warning such as a growling noise. I have a stack of spindle/bearing support/caliper bracket assemblies in the scrap pile. They all went from no noise/ no problems/driving fine to total meltdown in less than a minute. Literally in less time than it took to pull off the highway onto the shoulder.
Thats OK Mike, when they go bad they can buy the cheap Indian made bearing carriers, top quality stuff! Never thought the Chinese could be made to look like German craftsman until I laid an eye on those things....glad I have a " stash " of OEM GM stuff thats still in good shape
Old 12-21-2014, 05:47 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
Thats OK Mike, when they go bad they can buy the cheap Indian made bearing carriers, top quality stuff! Never thought the Chinese could be made to look like German craftsman until I laid an eye on those things....glad I have a " stash " of OEM GM stuff thats still in good shape
YEAH.. I have a good stash also...thank goodness for that.

TRUST ME I am NOT defending India or China...but what it actually boils down to is the GREEDY RAT B@STARD who APPROVED the test part and then told them that it is OK to make them. THAT is where the PROBLEM STARTS......GREED!!!!!

THEN...it is the COMPANIES who ACTUALLY BUY THEM and sell them to US like they are OK. Because if COMPANY 'A' do not buy them...then COMPANY 'B' will buy and sell them and then make more MONEY than COMPANY 'A'...and they all cant have that....NOW CAN THEY!

DUB

Quick Reply: is this how u measure TA end play? w pix