C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paragon anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 11:14 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

I get it - you keep asking questions with obvious answers.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:30 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

That's a good one. He asks questions where the answer is obvious and then says I don't get it.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:49 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

First of all, my opinion is that a chrome re-plate is very likely not as good as the factory plate. Here in So-Cal I see a few late 60 and early 70 cars that are distressed, but their chrome looks ok. There's a 69 GTO that sits on a street nearby..its set outside for years....it looks bad and the body has rust, but the chrome looks OK. Parts that I've had replated appear to rust easily.

I think the difference is that the factory bumpers are very likely replated using female shaped anodes. This way when the nickel plated bumper is located close to a female shaped anode, the chrome flows evenly into all the nooks and crannies of the actual pumper. The commercial replaters use planar anodes. The planar anodes deposit chrome on surfaces that are in straight lines to the anodes, but cant really get much chrome into the nooks and crannies. For instance, consider the C3 rear chrome bumper...the interior 90 degree turn, when replated by a commercial shop, will have almost no chrome in that elbow. It'll rust very easily.

PS...I get confused. I wrote the above using the term "anode," perhaps I should have used the term "cathode."
Old 12-21-2014, 09:38 AM
Factor
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

LOL Thanks 68/70 vette! good info!

mine need some love...and the rears have cracked and the chrome is flaking...so gotta do something about this. thus debating on getting them rechromed-which seems to be the best option...or going the less expensive and maybe lower quality repros...

actually have a local chromer to call monday.

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2014, 11:06 AM
LT-1 kid
Melting Slicks

Received 245 Likes on 170 Posts

hi Factor, I saw your avitar, I also live in Lk Barrington at barrington harbor .
Old 12-21-2014, 11:15 AM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

here is my bumper saga, bought imported rears and had a 5 year break in my project so they sat on the shelf in my shop untouched. When I went to install them the chrome was already pitted and one had a rust spot already coming thru, absolute junk. I bought a set of factory re chromed for the rear. Tried to avoid that for the front and bought Paragon fit was good and it looked great. Yesterday I was putting a coat of wax on the front bumper and noticed a blister in the chrome about the size of a pencil eraser on the underside. This bumper is about a year old and has never seen the light of day or even a drop of water because I am just finishing my project. I will call them tomorrow and see what they will do about it.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:54 PM
Factor
Burning Brakes

thanks all! gonna look into getting multiple estimates...apparently there are anywhere from 3 to 7 layers of plating...

if anyone has a recommendation for northern illinois, please feel free to post.

Thanks,
R
Old 12-26-2014, 04:05 PM
Factor
Burning Brakes

HI LT1...good to see someone local! hopefully be up and running by this upcoming season!
R
Old 12-27-2014, 08:58 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

I thought that I read where the import rear bumpers had a weld seam on the back side. Lou.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:34 AM
70LQ4
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

On My project 70 I got 1 of each . On the front I bought a new American made off of Corvette Central about 12 Years ago I installed it about 10 Years ago the fit wasn't so great as one side stuck out to far . Since it was allready over 2 Years old , sucks for Me . One day I got tired of looking at it and gave it a good womp with a rubber Mallet , now the fit is fine. The Chrome looks like it is original to the Car in other words like crap. All along the underside it is bubbled and ready to peal off.

On the rear I have 1 GM new old stock and 1 Showchrome . The NOS one looks like a new GM , dull Chrome and a little wavy . The NCRS Guys would love it !

The Showchrome bumper looks GREAT ! even after 10 years has a luster that makes NOS look like sh*t ! The other two will be getting the showchrome treatment the first winter after this Car is on the road.
Unless Someone just has to have a NOS L rear bumper and will trade for a Showchromed one

My Corvette is so far a Garage Ornament and the Bumpers have never been on the road or even seen Rain and the Front is already fu*ked , just what does that say for the quality American made part that I payed extra for.

And forget about the foreign crap , I got a set of "rechromed" rears off of e-bay , I couldn't get them to even bolt up . Turned out the rechrome was just china crap , and yes they were two piece with a visable weld on the under side. I had to do a charge back on the Credit Card to get My money back.

So take the easy way , if Your Bumpers fit and ain't rusted out , Get them re-chromed and be done with it . 10 years from now You will thank Me.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:18 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

What's this "Showchrome" of which you so boldly speak?
Old 12-28-2014, 02:29 PM
70LQ4
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Priya
What's this "Showchrome" of which you so boldly speak?
It's just a term the Chromers use for Their best work . Where extra time is taken to straiten out waves and other imperfections before plating.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:43 PM
Factor
Burning Brakes

GREAT INFO! yes. I am rechroming with a vette place.

thanks very much!
Ron

Quick Reply: Paragon anyone?