C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 vette

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 11:49 AM
bill6529
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 81 vette

Was thinking about rebuilding my original carb on 1981 stock Vette but looks to complicated. Thinking of just buying new carb but do not know what kind would match up and if I can get one that would boost performance. Would appreciate any help
Old 12-26-2014, 11:58 AM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

Lars Grimsrud is the guy to rebuild your quadrajet, but I'm not sure if he rebuilds the latter year carbs. Do a search on the forum for "Lars" and you'll get a ton of hits. You can contact him here, V8FastCars@msn.com

Just bolting a new carb on to your car will not boost performance. You will not gain any HP unless you modify the heads, intake, cam, exhaust, etc..
Old 12-26-2014, 12:16 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Other than a rebuilt Computer Command Control Q-Jet, if you still have the computer in your 81, I don't think there's too many after market options.

Originally Posted by Revi
Just bolting a new carb on to your car will not boost performance. You will not gain any HP unless you modify the heads, intake, cam, exhaust, etc..
Just swapping carbs, isn't going to have much effect on the performance of your car. The Q-Jet has a bad reputation in some circles, but actually it's a pretty good carb. A Holley may be easier to re-jet, but it wouldn't have a significant effect on performance.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:15 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Get the original carb rebuilt. Swapping it for another make is a problem just waiting to happen.

If Lars does not want to tackle it....I have had great success with ALL AMERICAN CARBS in Florida.

DUB
Old 12-26-2014, 08:58 PM
Tommy Almond
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DUB
Get the original carb rebuilt. Swapping it for another make is a problem just waiting to happen.

If Lars does not want to tackle it....I have had great success with ALL AMERICAN CARBS in Florida.

DUB
I agree with DUB, All American Carbs redid my original 1981 Q-jet and I have had no issues with it and that was 3 years ago. http://allamericancarburetor.com is their web site, turn around was quick and again they did great work for me.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:20 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Replacing the original would be a huge mistake , if you are basically leaving the original engine in the car and stock.

Most after market carbs are junk made or rebuilt in Mexico .

The quality of your original part is better than any shiney new stuff .

Do yourself a big favor, Send it to a well known reputable rebuilder such as Lars.

Same for other engine items .....the OEM were of high quality and worth rebuilding.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:20 AM
RC81
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT
Replacing the original would be a huge mistake , if you are basically leaving the original engine in the car and stock.

Most after market carbs are junk made or rebuilt in Mexico .

The quality of your original part is better than any shiney new stuff .

Do yourself a big favor, Send it to a well known reputable rebuilder such as Lars.

Same for other engine items .....the OEM were of high quality and worth rebuilding.
Dont think Lars works on the ccc carbs. I ordered a new one from National Carbs and kept my original. Still had to dial it in but once I did that it runs great.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:09 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If your engine still operates with the Computer Command system, you don't have many options. The carb, distributor, computer and oxygen sensor all work together and are managed by the computer. The carb is a one-year-only unit which has a solenoid operated fuel mixture device in it. So, changing the carb will mean that the system no longer is operational and it will be in 'basic' mode permanently.

You could dump all of those one-year- only parts and run the engine like all the pre-computer cars; but that would mean buying another carb and distributor (as a minimum).

Suggest you rebuild the carb to keep all working as intended. If yours is original build, it's not that hard once you have the proper rebuild kit and instructions on how to set it up. If the solenoid mixing unit is 'toast', they can still be obtained from the right sources. And someone on this Forum should be able to give you that source info.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:40 AM
Yeller81USNRet
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you use other than a stock 81 carb you will need to change the Distrubutor as well. Lars does not rebuild the stock 81 carbs. The E4ME .
Old 12-27-2014, 02:08 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

+1 for rebuilding the one you have. Its no more complicated than a regular Quad, takes a couple special tools but not hard to make or buy them.
Many horror stories in here about the condition of "Rebuilt" carbs in here, you literally do not know what your going to get: mismatched or incorrect parts, bent needles, damaged parts etc...
Old 12-27-2014, 09:06 PM
Brians1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I had my 81 Carb rebuilt by a GREAT shop in Jacksonville Fl - National Carbs. They did a fantastic job and it ran great the second i bolted it up. I highly recommend.

Get notified of new replies

To 81 vette

Quick Reply: 81 vette