C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Bleeding (speed bleeders)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 08:25 PM
JoeC427
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Brake Bleeding (speed bleeders)

Hello,

I replaced all of the brake components on my 75 during the past week. Master Cylinder (manual no power booster) Rotors, Pads, Stock Calipers, Hard Lines, Proportioning Valve, everything that came on the car stock. The issue I've been having is I still can't get the pedal feel back to where is was when I started. I've been using a mighty vac to bleed the brakes, but still no go. The brakes are working, but the pedal goes to the floor. I did a search and found a lot of folks have run into similar issues. Has anyone tried the Russell Speed Bleeders? What about a Motive Pressure Tool vs. what I have now? Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe
Old 12-28-2014, 08:58 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I have tried just about all of the tools for this. The motive is about the best. That being said thier plastic plate is terrible. I know use my own system and have probably 20 plus complete brake jobs with my own. I have a steel plate with a pliable rubber pad. I drilled and tapped an air fitting in this. I fill the master up with fluid and C clamp the late and gasket down. Hook it up to about 15 to 20 pounds of air pressure. I can open the bleeder for about 15 to 20 seconds and still have a decent amount of fluid In the cylinder. It takes about 2 total fills to completely bleed a dry system. I can do the total bleed process by myself in about 15 minutes. It has always provided a rock hard pedal.

All those vacuum pumps and plastic bleeding tools to me are a waste of money. The Motive system is very good if the plastic plate was a better design. The Chain clamps are worthless. My .02
Old 12-28-2014, 09:07 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 358 Likes on 248 Posts

The only thing thats ever worked for me was the old fashioned gravity bleed.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:27 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

My wife "loves" this job and I haven't found anything that works better.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:39 PM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I have done brake jobs on dozens of cars. Generally it is pretty darn easy; brakes are simple. I have done brake jobs on 3 C3's. Pain in the butt. I consider a brake system that is not simple to bleed a bad design. The only way I could get a hard pedal was using the Motive Bleeder. Remember to bench bleed your master cylinder. I hook up the Motive, pressurize it to 10 psi, and go around twice. Viola - a hard pedal. Easy money...
This is my experience.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:41 PM
JoeC427
Drifting

Thanks for the reply's so far. This is Freakin crazy! I ordered the speed bleeders from Summit tonight. Going to give those a try. I also may go ahead and get the motive pressure tank. I can't believe they don't offer a better master cylinder cover. What if I just installed a later model calipers. I hate to just keep throwing money at this thing. I need to be a 100% sure she's going to stop at the end of the quarter mile. I'm not to keen on the aftermarket stuff. The C3 brakes have always worked well with no issues. That what I get for replacing these 40 year old parts. Just frustrated at the moment

Any other techniques out there for bleeding this system?
Old 12-28-2014, 09:48 PM
tonak
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced my MC and used speed bleeders to great effect. Pedal was hard. Years later, I just replaced my MC again and can't achieve a hard pedal. I have a motiv but only the usual adaptor plate which is worthless in my hands anyway. Speed bleeders are ok but I think you need to see what's going on so you are back to two people. I do have a lower vacuum from engine due to a new cam so I wonder if that's part of my issue. Like I said , speed bleeders can work well but I think it helps to watch what's going on, otherwise you are just guessing if you pumped enough
Old 12-28-2014, 09:51 PM
JoeC427
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jeff_Keryk
I have done brake jobs on dozens of cars. Generally it is pretty darn easy; brakes are simple. I have done brake jobs on 3 C3's. Pain in the butt. I consider a brake system that is not simple to bleed a bad design. The only way I could get a hard pedal was using the Motive Bleeder. Remember to bench bleed your master cylinder. I hook up the Motive, pressurize it to 10 psi, and go around twice. Viola - a hard pedal. Easy money...
This is my experience.
Do you recall which motive bleeder you have?

There are two listed on summits website....
Old 12-28-2014, 09:57 PM
JoeC427
Drifting

Originally Posted by tonak
I replaced my MC and used speed bleeders to great effect. Pedal was hard. Years later, I just replaced my MC again and can't achieve a hard pedal. I have a motiv but only the usual adaptor plate which is worthless in my hands anyway. Speed bleeders are ok but I think you need to see what's going on so you are back to two people. I do have a lower vacuum from engine due to a new cam so I wonder if that's part of my issue. Like I said , speed bleeders can work well but I think it helps to watch what's going on, otherwise you are just guessing if you pumped enough
Old 12-28-2014, 09:59 PM
JoeC427
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gordonm
I have tried just about all of the tools for this. The motive is about the best. That being said thier plastic plate is terrible. I know use my own system and have probably 20 plus complete brake jobs with my own. I have a steel plate with a pliable rubber pad. I drilled and tapped an air fitting in this. I fill the master up with fluid and C clamp the late and gasket down. Hook it up to about 15 to 20 pounds of air pressure. I can open the bleeder for about 15 to 20 seconds and still have a decent amount of fluid In the cylinder. It takes about 2 total fills to completely bleed a dry system. I can do the total bleed process by myself in about 15 minutes. It has always provided a rock hard pedal.

All those vacuum pumps and plastic bleeding tools to me are a waste of money. The Motive system is very good if the plastic plate was a better design. The Chain clamps are worthless. My .02
Thanks man, Did you get the 2 quart or the 4 quart Motive Pressure Bleeder?
Old 12-28-2014, 09:59 PM
Brass Pass
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Last time I had to bleed brakes I used the speed bleeders and they worked well, or so I thought. Unfortunately, my brakes are acting up again so I bought on of these off Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/BikeMaster-Liter-Vacuum-Bleeder-WH-507M/dp/B00BANZSJO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419821525&sr=8-1&keywords=BikeMaster+1+Liter+Vacuum+Break+Fluid+Bleeder+WH-507M http://www.amazon.com/BikeMaster-Liter-Vacuum-Bleeder-WH-507M/dp/B00BANZSJO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419821525&sr=8-1&keywords=BikeMaster+1+Liter+Vacuum+Break+Fluid+Bleeder+WH-507M

I haven't tried it so I can't throw my 2 cents in on if it works or how well it works yet.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:42 PM
JoeC427
Drifting

Originally Posted by Brass Pass
Last time I had to bleed brakes I used the speed bleeders and they worked well, or so I thought. Unfortunately, my brakes are acting up again so I bought on of these off Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/BikeMaster-Lit...leeder+WH-507M

I haven't tried it so I can't throw my 2 cents in on if it works or how well it works yet.
Thanks for the input. I saved the link. Just went ahead and order the Motive Pressure Bleeder based on feed back from the other guys. I'm going to need another tool box just to hold all the brake bleeding tools, which I may only use once every couple of years. Oh well, if it works I'm happy. I can always send one out to another forum member who may need some help. Keep you guys posted on how it goes.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:09 PM
1969RAY
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 112 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Original question...Russell Speed Bleeders...they have worked great for me. And you did bench bleed your master?
Old 12-28-2014, 11:25 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Brass Pass

http://www.amazon.com/BikeMaster-Lit...leeder+WH-507M

I have the same tool! I bought it from Harbor Freight for about the same price. I haven't used it yet, but friends who have used one said it works well. It seems less messy than a power bleeder to me. I'll report back in a couple of weeks when I bleed my brakes after a caliper replacement.

Pete
Old 12-28-2014, 11:28 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Man have I ever been through the troublesome of bleeding my brakes. Ended up replacing everything and used my Motive setup with the aluminum plat and a C-clamp and still could not get a hard pedal. Ended up having the wife pump the pedal which I finally got a hard pedal but now it's extremely touchy??? Good luck.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:52 PM
Brass Pass
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteZO6
I have the same tool! I bought it from Harbor Freight for about the same price. I haven't used it yet, but friends who have used one said it works well. It seems less messy than a power bleeder to me. I'll report back in a couple of weeks when I bleed my brakes after a caliper replacement.

Pete
I'll be very curious to hear how it works out. It will be at least a couple of weeks for me also after I finish up my Vintage Air install and interior refresh.

Maybe I'll see you around town one of these days.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:41 AM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

When I bought mine, you could order the bleeder and any master cylinder adapters you wanted. Things have changed and prices are up. Something like this should work:
Amazon.com: Motive Products 105 Brake System Power Bleeder: Automotive Amazon.com: Motive Products 105 Brake System Power Bleeder: Automotive
Be sure and get the adapter tight on the master cylinder. Check for leaks as you pressurize the bleeder.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Bleeding (speed bleeders)

Old 12-29-2014, 01:18 PM
80-Vette
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Speed Bleeders worked great for me. It was the easiest brake bleeding I have ever done.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:11 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Motive pressure bleeder but I added their aluminum plate instead of the plastic one. Worked like a charm.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:20 PM
biscuitville
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a Motive unit and the clamping chain system sucks.
Added an aluminum plate on top and use a big C-clamp.
Works great.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Brake Bleeding (speed bleeders)