C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking from the dash, what are the possible causes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 10:27 AM
samdjr74
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Leaking from the dash, what are the possible causes?

Hi All,

I'm about to replace the interior on my 80' and I know since I bought the car I had a leak from under the dash getting on the carpet. I just replaced my heater core which was shot and leaking. The floor is still damp and this could be from the old core leaking for so long. However I want to play it safe before ruining a new carpet.

What else could leak under the passenger side of the dash? I'm not concerned about rain or water from the outside as this was always antifreeze.

Just a FYI, I've completely removed the A/C from the car and just have the heater which works now that I have a new core in it.

Thanks,
Sam
Old 12-29-2014, 10:47 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Is it coolant or water. If water you have water leaking its from rain. If it is coolant your new core may be leaking. You have to figure out what the fluid is
Old 12-29-2014, 10:57 AM
71LS5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Also you have another possibility. Oil from the oil pressure guage could be leakining.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:01 AM
samdjr74
Racer

I'm not even sure if the leak is still there. Before it was coolant, never plain water but it did feel a little oily. The new core is fine, no leaks there.

Originally Posted by Gordonm
Is it coolant or water. If water you have water leaking its from rain. If it is coolant your new core may be leaking. You have to figure out what the fluid is
Old 12-29-2014, 11:04 AM
samdjr74
Racer

Ok, this is interesting, where exactly is it? The gauge is electrical and works off of a pressure switch but isn't the pressure switch screwed into the block with the wires coming off of it that go to the gauge?

Originally Posted by 71LS5
Also you have another possibility. Oil from the oil pressure guage could be leakining.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:40 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by samdjr74
Ok, this is interesting, where exactly is it? The gauge is electrical and works off of a pressure switch but isn't the pressure switch screwed into the block with the wires coming off of it that go to the gauge?
The older C3 cars ran an oil line into the back of the gauge and it could leak. It would leak right on top of the radio as the fitting on the back of the gauge would leak. If yours is electric no oil would be inside the car.

Is it possible your windshield is leaking? Is there rust around the windshield frame? If you can eliminate the core leaking it would be outside water entering the cockpit somewhere.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:41 AM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

Older C3's had an actual oil line that ran to the oil pressure gauge, my 1970 has it. They discontinued it in later years.

Your leak is either anti-freeze (heater core) or water from rain/washing the car.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:17 PM
samdjr74
Racer

No rust in the pillar or around the windshield. There is what looks like another hot water pressure value under the dash, what is it and could that be it?

Originally Posted by Gordonm
The older C3 cars ran an oil line into the back of the gauge and it could leak. It would leak right on top of the radio as the fitting on the back of the gauge would leak. If yours is electric no oil would be inside the car.

Is it possible your windshield is leaking? Is there rust around the windshield frame? If you can eliminate the core leaking it would be outside water entering the cockpit somewhere.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:24 PM
mcltcb
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 75 use to leak on passenger side from the bolts that hold on the wiper arm pivot. Those bolts go all the way thru with nuts on the inside. The factory black sealant in wiper arm area was all cracked and dried out. Every time I washed the car a little water came in.

I'm about to replace the interior on my 80' and I know since I bought the car I had a leak from under the dash getting on the carpet. I just replaced my heater core which was shot and leaking. The floor is still damp and this could be from the old core leaking for so long. However I want to play it safe before ruining a new carpet.

What else could leak under the passenger side of the dash? I'm not concerned about rain or water from the outside as this was always antifreeze.

Just a FYI, I've completely removed the A/C from the car and just have the heater which works now that I have a new core in it.

Thanks,
Sam[/QUOTE]
Old 12-30-2014, 07:54 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...What else could leak under the passenger side of the dash?...
Nothing other than the core, since you say the leak was coolant and not water.

Originally Posted by 71LS5
...Also you have another possibility. Oil from the oil pressure guage could be leakining...
No in an 80. It's an electric gauge.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:07 AM
samdjr74
Racer

I'll take a look at this, thanks!

Originally Posted by mcltcb
My 75 use to leak on passenger side from the bolts that hold on the wiper arm pivot. Those bolts go all the way thru with nuts on the inside. The factory black sealant in wiper arm area was all cracked and dried out. Every time I washed the car a little water came in.

Thanks,
Sam
[/QUOTE]
Old 12-30-2014, 09:08 AM
samdjr74
Racer

Thanks Mike, this is what I wanted to hear. Now I can dry out the floor, replace the sound deadener and install some new carpet.

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Nothing other than the core, since you say the leak was coolant and not water.

No in an 80. It's an electric gauge.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:00 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

OK, so you THINK it's dry now. Once you pull the carpet up, hose the windshield, wiper area, etc down and then look for other leaks. With carpet out, it should be easy to spot any water coming in. If none, GREAT!

Get notified of new replies

To Leaking from the dash, what are the possible causes?

Quick Reply: Leaking from the dash, what are the possible causes?