C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Composite Rear Spring...which one for the Vette to sit level?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 11:50 PM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

Default Composite Rear Spring...which one for the Vette to sit level?

My original rear is giving up the ghost...so I'm going with a single composite rear spring. Apparently there are several ones to pick from..from 315lbs to 360lbs. I want my car to sit level....which spring should I get? and what about the length of the bolts?
Old 01-02-2015, 01:46 AM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

The rear spring rate should be selected relative to the combination of front anti-roll bar and front spring rates on your car, not simply for ride height. And, unless you like the 4x4 look, I'd suggest avoiding highly arched springs. You can fine tune rear ride height by adjusting the height of the nut on the spring bolts. 8" ones usually work.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:01 AM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
The rear spring rate should be selected relative to the combination of front anti-roll bar and front spring rates on your car, not simply for ride height. And, unless you like the 4x4 look, I'd suggest avoiding highly arched springs. You can fine tune rear ride height by adjusting the height of the nut on the spring bolts. 8" ones usually work.
So, the higher the pounds indicated, the higher the arch? My '75 is all stock when it comes to the front end (spring and anti-roll bar)
Old 01-02-2015, 08:12 AM
sstopczy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by vetteguy75
So, the higher the pounds indicated, the higher the arch? My '75 is all stock when it comes to the front end (spring and anti-roll bar)
Call one of the vendors and explain to the what you want and what your current setup is. This will allow them to recommend a spring that is appropriate for your car. VB&P and VanSteel come to mind.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:27 AM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are happy with your car's ride/handling balance now and don't want to change things, look at Hyperco's EZ ride composite rear spring. The rate is very similar to stock (200 lbs/in or so), and it will improve the ride. Get 8" long link bolts and you will be able to fine tune your ride height.
Swapping over to a 315# or even higher spring will change the understeer/oversteer balance of the car, and require a stiffer shock to control. This may be what you want.
You pays yer money and you makes your cherse!
Old 01-02-2015, 12:23 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 356 Likes on 247 Posts

8" bolts will level/lower aftermarket springs
Old 01-02-2015, 02:39 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteguy75

No. The rating is how many pounds it takes to compress the spring by 1 inch, regardless of arch. A 300# spring will compress 1 inch for every 300 lbs. of loading. Arch determines the spring's final height when it is compressed by a given load relative to its spring rate. FWIW, when dealing with coils this arch factor would be replaced by free length. HTH
Old 01-03-2015, 02:33 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Default C4 bolts are longer

Originally Posted by gjohnson
8" bolts will level/lower aftermarket springs
The 8" bolts weren't quite long enough to level my '80, so I ordered a pair of C4 bolts (10") and cut an inch off of them.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:36 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by sstopczy
Call one of the vendors and explain to the what you want and what your current setup is. This will allow them to recommend a spring that is appropriate for your car. VB&P and VanSteel come to mind.

Get notified of new replies

To Composite Rear Spring...which one for the Vette to sit level?

Quick Reply: Composite Rear Spring...which one for the Vette to sit level?