C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about the ZZ5 Crate Motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 11:17 AM
oldchev
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Questions about the ZZ5 Crate Motor

Well, I have been considering everything so I have to take a hard look at this too. Here's some questions about installing a ZZ5 into my C3 with my TH400.
- does anyone know what stall converter is recommended for the ZZ5
- will the serpentine belt system fit in the C3 engine bay.
- if using the serpentine belt system can I use the existing radiator and
the original fan.
- Does the height of the intake and carb allow the use of original hood?

Thanks for your continued help. Dave.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:02 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchev
Well, I have been considering everything so I have to take a hard look at this too. Here's some questions about installing a ZZ5 into my C3 with my TH400.
- does anyone know what stall converter is recommended for the ZZ5
- will the serpentine belt system fit in the C3 engine bay.
- if using the serpentine belt system can I use the existing radiator and
the original fan.
- Does the height of the intake and carb allow the use of original hood?

Thanks for your continued help. Dave.
This is from my 1978 corvette with the GMZZ383 and a GM serpentine kit.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-my-78-a.html

There are some well know mod's that are required to install the GM Serpentine kits. I had 3 issues.

1. one pully on the passenger side was required to be installed upside down and a 1" longer belt used.(hits upper control arm)
2. The water pump is a reverse flow (serpentine kit supplied) so the original zz5 pump will be required to be replaced. ( The original on my L48 doesn't fit unless you grind off some metal on the pump and on 1 timing cover bolt ) I always planned on not using the original L48 pump and went with dual electric fans.
3. You will need to resolve the issue of the upper rad hose routing. I chose to route behind the alternator. Its from a 1995 Ford Bronco. You need to cut off a piece at the rad. The stock hose has one more elbow and the diameter is to large, but once you cut off the elbow it fits very well. Its not perfect but it is a stock part.

The tallest part of the serpentine kit is the tension pully. With my 78 vette I have 3/4" clearence with the stock hood.

I also was concered about the stock hood. But all fit very well.

I have a th350 with the stock converter ~ 1800 stall. and 3.08 rear. Its not the best for off the line. Cannot spin the tires. But I use the car for road racing driving. ( it will be replaced with a T56 6 speed )
You will need something higher than stock if staying with the TH400.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:08 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Regarding converter stall speed, if you are at all concerned with drag strip performance you should get at least 2,800 stall, if not maybe 2,200 to 2,400. Just don't keep the stock converter.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:45 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
I have a th350 with the stock converter ~ 1800 stall. and 3.08 rear. Its not the best for off the line. Cannot spin the tires. But I use the car for road racing driving. ( it will be replaced with a T56 6 speed )
You will need something higher than stock if staying with the TH400.
My stock 1972 L48 (200 HP, 260 Ft Lbs Torque) with TH400, stock convertor, 3.08 would roast the tires from a dead stop and scratch 2nd. If I spent $8000 to put a 450 HP/450 TQ 383 in and it could not spin the tires I would be freaking pi$$ed.

Last edited by 63mako; 01-03-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:06 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 63mako
My stock 1972 L48 (200 HP, 260 Ft Lbs Torque) with TH400, stock convertor, 3.08 would roast the tires from a dead stop and scratch 2nd. If I spent $8000 to put a 450 HP/450 TQ 383 in and it could not spin the tires I would be freaking pi$$ed.
My 2010 GS auto cannot spin tires either ?.
I have asked many C6 owners if they have similar results. GS owners with 325 tires have similar results.
What tire size and what part of the world are you at (with the 72 200HP).
Depending on the surface material and temp's They will spin, but at the track they just grip. Both the TA 255's and the Michelin super sports 245's. If I accelerate cornering they spin.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:16 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Spinning tires won't keep you in front of the average mini van in drag race. On the other hand if you have a stock converter and 3.08 gears, you won't beat the mini van even if you don't spin. Anybody with an automatic who is concerned about performance, should upgrade the converter.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:35 PM
oldchev
Instructor

Thanks for the reply all. I was searching about the ZZ5 ealier and I'm not sure where I found it, I think this forum, but someone had a very chromed up ZZ4 or ZZ5 sitting in a cradle next to their car. It had chrome headers already mounted. Anyway, I noticed that it had a serpentine system. So I assumed it fit, but don't knowdetails about mods if neccesary. This particular car had what looked like a Sanders AC Compressor. Now that might be alittle smaller than the original but it was hanging there so i guess it would fit. then another search brought up a pic of another car with a ZZ5 and it was not a Vette. Anyway it looked like it had a running pulley, just a pulley, substituted for the AC compressor and with the serpentine belt. So in looking at my engine bay, it looks to me like the serpentine belt system is going to interfer with the right top "A" Frame. but I hear ya, there is a Mod for this uh. so next is I didn't know the ZZ5 had a reverse flow water pump. Is the reverse flow pump only with it when you buy the serpentine belt system. I believe I saw ZZ5s at Pace that had a regular looking water pump. The ZZ5 comes across with some sticker shock at first. But when you include the accessories that come with the serpentine system and you do some shopping around the price differential isn't that far off the cost I'm looking at to build a motor. yeh you can go cheaper but evidentially I'm not looking at the cheap stuff. and I do need a AC compressor. Thanks Again.

Last edited by oldchev; 01-03-2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:43 PM
oldchev
Instructor

I'm wondering if I bought a ZZ5 without the serpentine system, can I put my existing water pump, alternator and power steering pump on it.
As well as a new AC compressor ????
Old 01-04-2015, 08:08 AM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm wondering if I bought a ZZ5 without the serpentine system, can I put my existing water pump, alternator and power steering pump on it.
I put a 2002 L-31 (1 piece rear main seal, vortec heads, roller cam - added TPI) into my 77 and used the front accessory drives from the original with no problems EXCEPT for the aftermarket Sanden 508 AC compressor mount. I had to drill & tap 1 hole into the front of the vortec head.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:53 AM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Or, you could go out and find a used engine and buy it..... (I'm considering an LS swap )

Here's my ZZ4 setup with front serpentine on my C2. It was custom made.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:24 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

You can use all the original accessories but you will need to grind the water pump and 1 bolt for the timing cover to get the original water pump to fit. (clear the timing cover ) I chose to go the serpentine route.
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...umber=12497698
Old 04-12-2015, 10:49 AM
grandadmorgan
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ZZ5 with serpentine set up fit fine in my 81, just close fit with crank pulley and cross brace, had to reverse passenger side idler pulley, had to install ugly ribbed upper hose, and longer belt. Have not confronted hood clearance yet, but the high rise intake looks like i will have to alter hood
Old 04-12-2015, 10:59 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by grandadmorgan
ZZ5 with serpentine set up fit fine in my 81, just close fit with crank pulley and cross brace, had to reverse passenger side idler pulley, had to install ugly ribbed upper hose, and longer belt. Have not confronted hood clearance yet, but the high rise intake looks like i will have to alter hood
I used a factory upper rad hose.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-my-78-a.html

See post # 14. I needed to cut the last bend off the hose for a very good fit.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:47 PM
grandadmorgan
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I failed to mention that I installed a be-cool radiator and the hose that came with it did not fit. Another plus for the serpentine belt set up is the weight savings since mounting brackets are aluminum.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:42 PM
redcruz1120
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I purchased my ZZ5 thru Jegs and they recommended a 2500 stall. i purchased the Hughes brand.The Serpentine system , like it was posted before just flipping the idler pulley upside down will solve the existing issue and a 1 inch longer belt. as far as the cooling system I purchased a Dewitts radiator with twin fans, also something I wanted to do anyways.
On the hood clearance issue I canyt help you with any info since I will be using a after market hood. The only other thing that i had to do that wasnt mentioned is the temperature sensor. I had to have it machined down to 3/8 for it to fit the aluminum head. there is other options as where to install it like on the thermostat housing. I didnt want that. BTW I am also running a TH400. I also had the serpentine system brackets powder coated black since i had a feeling the aluminum would eventually stain.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:53 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

ZZ383 swap last summer, had to grind a bit off 1 bolt on the timing cover. Your old accessories will be fine. If and when our Cdn $ recovers I'll be adding Vintage Air and a serpentine system. Was planning on doing it this spring but ...

Get notified of new replies

To Questions about the ZZ5 Crate Motor

Quick Reply: Questions about the ZZ5 Crate Motor