C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 seat belt light switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 05:00 PM
bellaireroad
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 1969 seat belt light switch

I have the gauge cluster disassembled, and checking it all out. Today I replaced the bulb for the seat belt light, and hooked up power.
The light comes on when the key is turned on - as expected. The light goes out when the switch is pushed - as expected. The light comes back on when the switch is released - which is not expected?

This is without the PUSH button in, just activating the switch with my finger. Also car is not running, just key turned to power.

Is this an indication of a bad switch?

thanks
Old 01-09-2015, 05:05 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,598 Posts

after pushing and releasing the button the light should stay off until the next time you start the car. You maybe able to fix the switch by opening it, a friend did this on a 70.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:33 PM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

There's a small coil in the switch assembly, IIRC when you turn on the key, the coil activates, pulling the contact and the light illuminates. When you push the button in, you cut power to the coil until the next key start.

This may also just be a "ground" problem. (I had a similar situation a few years ago, so I'm a bit foggy with the details.) The light would work/wouldn't work while I had the bezel loose and testing the switch. After fiddle farting around for an hour or so, I connected a test ground from the loose bezel to the car and everything started working as it should. With the bezel re-installed in the car with all of its fasteners, etc.., the normal/permanent ground is made by default.

FYI - I'll be moving to the DFW area in July/August.

Last edited by Revi; 01-09-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:56 PM
bellaireroad
Racer

Originally Posted by Revi
There's a small coil in the switch assembly, IIRC when you turn on the key, the coil activates, pulling the contact and the light illuminates. When you push the button in, you cut power to the coil until the next key start.

This may also just be a "ground" problem. (I had a similar situation a few years ago, so I'm a bit foggy with the details.) The light would work/wouldn't work while I had the bezel loose and testing the switch. After fiddle farting around for an hour or so, I connected a test ground from the loose bezel to the car and everything started working as it should. With the bezel re-installed in the car with all of its fasteners, etc.., the normal/permanent ground is made by default.

FYI - I'll be moving to the DFW area in July/August.
Hi Revi,

Here's a photo. I see what looks like a coil, but there is no movement when power is applied. The switch is making contact at all times, when pushed it in breaks contact and the light goes out , but comes back on when released and recontacts....good point on the ground, I have one run to the chassis.

BTW... Welcome to Texas ....you will be coming at the hottest time of the year

Old 01-09-2015, 07:46 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

When powered up, the points on the circuit make contact and send power from the left most (in the picture) stud to the right. This is what causes the light to come on, the circuit already has a ground. When you push the button, the electromagnet has just enough power to hold the contact set open until power is cut from the circuit. (key turned of) and then the process starts over again. If your magnet is not holding the points open you can tweak them and they will usually hold. We just fixed one yesterday.

Sorry for the late post, I started to post this two hours ago and for got to hit the post button..

Old 01-10-2015, 11:58 AM
bellaireroad
Racer

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
When powered up, the points on the circuit make contact and send power from the left most (in the picture) stud to the right. This is what causes the light to come on, the circuit already has a ground. When you push the button, the electromagnet has just enough power to hold the contact set open until power is cut from the circuit. (key turned of) and then the process starts over again. If your magnet is not holding the points open you can tweak them and they will usually hold. We just fixed one yesterday.

Sorry for the late post, I started to post this two hours ago and for got to hit the post button..

Thanks for the explanation. I am assuming that the area circled becomes magnetized and holds the points when they are pushed in. When my switch is energized, this doesnt seem to be magnetized, at least there is no attraction to a small screwdriver.

I am ordering the solid state replacement from you.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:09 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Yes, if the electromagnet is not working it will not hold the arm from the points. When you install the new one just re-use your studs and power wire.

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 seat belt light switch

Quick Reply: 1969 seat belt light switch