C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PRI update on C3-C3 Suspension from the RIDETECH Booth

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 07:51 AM
0chase@ridetech
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I should have included that I currently have SPC adjustable upper A arms ,Van steel lowers and a flaming river rack and pinion system.
I know that you will be testing your set up in the future with one of the rack and pinion conversions. if you find it to be compatible, would you consider selling the spindles as a stand alone item? You see where Iam going with this, as there is no new style spindles available for the C3, and i want to update my car with new parts that are not 40 years old or refurbished.
Thanks for designing cool stuff for our C3's![/QUOTE]

I will keep you posted if any changes are made and we decide to sell any stand alone parts.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:48 AM
0chase@ridetech
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ignatz
Your 48 Hour C3 is fun advertising but your market is a knowledgable C3 owner who wants to understand what incremental improvement an investment in your suspension provides. So to me a well documented comparison between a stock suspension and a RideTech suspension and no other changes is the real deal. An autoX course and a track course along with the simpler stuff I mentioned. Being an engineer, I like objectivity. Betting just about any customer that has you do the installation would be happy to oblige.

Thanks for your reply and I look forward to seeing the testing you've mentioned. Have you thought about maybe an article in GRM? They love that kind of stuff and they love old cars.
We hope to do a direct comparison at some point in the future. Where we can do an install on site and do before and after direct comparison with suspension only changes. We have done this several times in the past with kits we have designed for other applications such as Chevelles, Camaros, Novas etc.

Check out this video from LS fest in 2011. This is some general base testing from only making suspension changes.

Last edited by chase@ridetech; 02-19-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:19 AM
0ridetechbret
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chase@ridetech
I should have included that I currently have SPC adjustable upper A arms ,Van steel lowers and a flaming river rack and pinion system.
I know that you will be testing your set up in the future with one of the rack and pinion conversions. if you find it to be compatible, would you consider selling the spindles as a stand alone item? You see where Iam going with this, as there is no new style spindles available for the C3, and i want to update my car with new parts that are not 40 years old or refurbished.
Thanks for designing cool stuff for our C3's!
Our Corvette suspension is designed to work as a system. If you delete ANY part of it, the function is severly compromised. That is why we likely will not be offering individual components.

Our system is also not compatible with a rack and pinion system. We chose to use the Borgeson steering box because it offered NO compromise in strength, durability, road feel or steering geometry. Rack and pinion steering is a great system IF the rest of the chassis and suspension is designed around it.[like a new car or an aftermarket chassis] To retro-fit it into an existing chassis can require compromises in all the above mentioned areas that we were not willing to make.

I am totally sympathetic to wanting to replace 40-50 year old suspension components. The spindle we use in the Corvette system is the same basic unit that we use for our Camaro Tru Turn and several other applications. It has proven its function and durability on the track for many years...AND there is a wide variety of brake packages available for it. Any Baer or Wilwood system that is made for an early Camaro or Chevelle will fit our spindle.

Hope this info helps a little!
Old 02-19-2015, 12:53 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

Check out this video from LS fest in 2011. This is some general base testing from only making suspension changes.
Very impressive, thanks. Will be checking out Shark Racer's install soon

Last edited by ignatz; 02-19-2015 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Shark Racer install
Old 02-23-2015, 12:50 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,365 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by ridetechbret
Our Corvette suspension is designed to work as a system. If you delete ANY part of it, the function is severly compromised. That is why we likely will not be offering individual components.

Our system is also not compatible with a rack and pinion system. We chose to use the Borgeson steering box because it offered NO compromise in strength, durability, road feel or steering geometry. Rack and pinion steering is a great system IF the rest of the chassis and suspension is designed around it.[like a new car or an aftermarket chassis] To retro-fit it into an existing chassis can require compromises in all the above mentioned areas that we were not willing to make.

I am totally sympathetic to wanting to replace 40-50 year old suspension components. The spindle we use in the Corvette system is the same basic unit that we use for our Camaro Tru Turn and several other applications. It has proven its function and durability on the track for many years...AND there is a wide variety of brake packages available for it. Any Baer or Wilwood system that is made for an early Camaro or Chevelle will fit our spindle.

Hope this info helps a little!

Bret, you said that any Baer/Wilwood system thats made for an early Camaro or Chevelle will fit this spindle.....will the Wilwood kits designed for early Corvettes work? Im just curious if you already have the Wilwood Corvette kit on your car, will you able to upgrade to your suspension system without having to repurchase the brake kit.
Thanks!
Old 02-23-2015, 01:29 PM
0chase@ridetech
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30
Bret, you said that any Baer/Wilwood system thats made for an early Camaro or Chevelle will fit this spindle.....will the Wilwood kits designed for early Corvettes work? Im just curious if you already have the Wilwood Corvette kit on your car, will you able to upgrade to your suspension system without having to repurchase the brake kit.
Thanks!
I spoke with the reps at Wilwood and depending on which system you have will determine if it will work on the Ridetech spindle with a bracket change. Send me the part number on your Wilwood kit and I can check into it for you.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:33 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Chase, thanks for the reply....at the moment I still have the factory brakes installed, but I have the below set up sitting in the garage...I purchased it before I started looking at the Ride Tech suspension. If it wont work on your spindles, I may just sell it and go with the Baer brakes you have listed. Thanks
Wilwood 140-12946 in the front and
Wilwood 140-10790 for calipers in the rear w/
Wilwood 140-11739 for rotors in the rear
Old 02-23-2015, 05:38 PM
Bad Bird
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I like your front suspension design a lot. The only thing that prevents me from investigating further is the fact that you use a Heim joint for the outer tie rod, rather than a tie rod end. Whilst I know that a good Heim is strong enough and will last, in Australia they are completely illegal for use as a tie rod. Is there any chance of offering your front suspension with a compatible tie rod end?

Regards,
Matt
Old 02-26-2015, 03:27 PM
0chase@ridetech
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Bad Bird
I like your front suspension design a lot. The only thing that prevents me from investigating further is the fact that you use a Heim joint for the outer tie rod, rather than a tie rod end. Whilst I know that a good Heim is strong enough and will last, in Australia they are completely illegal for use as a tie rod. Is there any chance of offering your front suspension with a compatible tie rod end?

Regards,
Matt
Matt,

I believe Bret is looking into this. I will follow up when I get some additional information.

Thanks
Chase
Old 03-02-2015, 02:52 PM
0chase@ridetech
Former Vendor

Chase, thanks for the reply....at the moment I still have the factory brakes installed, but I have the below set up sitting in the garage...I purchased it before I started looking at the Ride Tech suspension. If it wont work on your spindles, I may just sell it and go with the Baer brakes you have listed. Thanks
Wilwood 140-12946 in the front and
Wilwood 140-10790 for calipers in the rear w/
Wilwood 140-11739 for rotors in the rear
I heard back from Wilwood and your particular kit will not cross over. Give me a call or shoot me an email for details.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:54 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

I heard back from Wilwood and your particular kit will not cross over. Give me a call or shoot me an email for details.
no worries, thanks for the help! Ive got a local buyer so Ill just sell this stuff and go with something that works with the RideTech spindles.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:44 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Do you have coil overs for front stock suspension (81)

Dennis
Old 03-05-2015, 04:19 PM
0chase@ridetech
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by spedaleden
Do you have coil overs for front stock suspension (81)

Dennis
We don't have a kit that works with the stock arms and such. Thank you for asking!
Old 03-05-2015, 07:03 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

We don't have a kit that works with the stock arms and such. Thank you for asking!
Thanks
Old 03-10-2015, 11:01 PM
0chase@ridetech
Former Vendor

you can catch the front install on the 48 Hour Corvette now!

http://www.ridetech.com/48hourcorvette/
Old 03-24-2015, 02:44 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Just curious, is there any need/benefit to running one of the "spreader bars" with the Ride Tech suspension, or is the inward sag of the shock towers eliminated?

Thanks
Old 03-24-2015, 09:31 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Just curious, is there any need/benefit to running one of the "spreader bars" with the Ride Tech suspension, or is the inward sag of the shock towers eliminated?

Thanks
You would still benefit from a spreader bar...

Get notified of new replies

To PRI update on C3-C3 Suspension from the RIDETECH Booth

Old 03-25-2015, 10:08 AM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

kind of what I figured but thought Id ask....thanks!
Old 03-25-2015, 01:12 PM
0ridetechbret
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks
We have not built one yet.

Were going to throw a GoPro under the hood this weekend to see if we can determine any movement.
And we can always rig up a travel sensor on there for the Racepak datalogger...then we'll have real info to work with.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:24 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Awesome, thanks Bret! Its nice to see these cars getting some legit R&D...anxious to see the results

Quick Reply: PRI update on C3-C3 Suspension from the RIDETECH Booth