C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Ever Installed Aftermarket Heated Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 02:51 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Anyone Ever Installed Aftermarket Heated Seats?

For some of us our summers are short and the addition of heated seats in a C3 would be a nice option. Have anyone ever installed aftermarket heated seats pads on both the seat and back rest with great success? I understand that the seats will need to be removed from the car and partially taken apart.

If so, care to share?
Old 01-17-2015, 05:29 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

When I was putting the seats in my Eagle my husband asked a place about retrofitting heat into them. If I remember correctly they told him it'd cost $1000. That sounded ridiculous to me.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:18 PM
Go Vette Go
Red Road Warrior

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 199 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '15, '19

I am thinking of putting heated seats into my 78 C6 seats when I get that far.

Amazon has a kit -
Heated Seats here Heated Seats here

Not a big price tag!

John
Old 01-17-2015, 06:22 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

yes i have... you can get them for cheap on eBay... wired them in and they work amazing.. turn the heater on full blast and turn on the seat heaters... you can run in the winter with the tops off!!! lol:-) they are nice...

$60.... then maybe $100 labor for an apolstery shop to put them in,...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-seats-12V-Universal-Heated-Seat-Heater-Kit-carbon-fiber-round-Hi-Lo-switch-/251514779182?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a8f72f62e&vxp=mtr
Old 01-17-2015, 07:42 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

That sounds more like it. That shop my husband talked to must have thought they had a sucker on the line.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:15 PM
cobrachuck
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

Yes, it is not that bad of a job & cheap enough. Winter project a few years ago.
I rebuilt my C5 seats cushions & also installed a kit similar to what Pauldana is showing.
Only mistake I made was they were not wired in with the key switch
Old 01-17-2015, 10:55 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Thanks for the reply everyone,

It sounds like the after market kits are fairly inexpensive, therefore it's just a matter of finding the best quality that will cover the seats and backs. Having the adjustable would be a bonus.

Any idea who makes the best quality aftermarket kits?

If I can find them for under $100.00 material only it would be great.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:18 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

My buddy tried out several different ones.... he recommended I check the wiring BEFORE installing them. On a couple he had, the wires were just wrapped (no connectors or solder!!!) together inside the wire covering-not good!!!

I ran mine on a battery & charger before installing. On high the wire to the switch got a little to hot for my liking. Since I had to cut off about a 1/3 of the material on the back heating pad and a little less on the seat bottom- I tried it again and the wires didn't heat up. I did replace the wimpy power wires w/ some 12GU on both the power and ground.

These carbon fiber ones worked the best- $53 in the states shipped versus waiting weeks from China...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Seats-Carbon-Fiber-Universal-Heated-Seat-Heater-Kit-Car-Cushion-Round-Switch-/291345162488?vxp=mtr
I did them myself- some hogring pliers and you should be good to go.

Richard
Old 01-18-2015, 12:20 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

I installed one in my wife's Mercury last year. Not a horrible job, just follow the instructions and it went fine.
Hardest part was locating the high/low switch. That wasn't hard in itself, just figuring out where to put it so it is easily accesable and within reach of the sire supplied.
Be sure to wire the activation wire to something that comes on with the key. You don't want to forget it's on and run the battery dead.

I intercepted the power to the circulation blower since it only runs with key on.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:57 AM
Frank_Nesta
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Go Vette Go
I am thinking of putting heated seats into my 78 C6 seats when I get that far.

Amazon has a kit - Heated Seats here

Not a big price tag!

John
If your C6 seat have heaters already there. Here is what I did. Left the heaters that were in the seats there, but cut the thermistor out and used the wiring and swithes that came with the heated seats. The reason was the heaters in the C6 seats have cutouts where the stitching / velcro in the seats. Since the heaters in the C6 seat already had the cutouts why go through the exercise. Test the heaters first to make sure they work.

Last edited by Frank_Nesta; 01-18-2015 at 01:26 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:00 AM
Frank_Nesta
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by cobrachuck
Yes, it is not that bad of a job & cheap enough. Winter project a few years ago.
I rebuilt my C5 seats cushions & also installed a kit similar to what Pauldana is showing.
Only mistake I made was they were not wired in with the key switch
You can install a relay using keyed power to activate the relay and use the same power source through the relay contacts. Fairly simple fix.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:16 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I have installed Rostra WET kits on several cars and my truck. I have them in my C5 and they work much better than the factory ones in my C6. They look like the Ebay ones above. Summit has them. Mine are wired to a keyed fuse. Instead of cutting them for the velcro sew velcro to them. It works well and cutting them makes them less effective past where they are cut.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:29 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Thanks for the reply everyone, I quess it's a matter of which one has the best value for your money so I'll have to do my research.

duramaxsky, I believeyou maybe talking about this W.E.T. Seat Heater Systems kit?

Old 01-20-2015, 08:43 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr
Thanks for the reply everyone, I quess it's a matter of which one has the best value for your money so I'll have to do my research.

duramaxsky, I believeyou maybe talking about this W.E.T. Seat Heater Systems kit?
That looks like it. They work real well. Better than the GM C6 ones.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:32 PM
KrisB410
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got a set of the heater inserts for my seats, along with new foam and covers. I think it will be real nice on those beautiful but cold winter days. Hoping to have the car done by May.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Ever Installed Aftermarket Heated Seats?

Quick Reply: Anyone Ever Installed Aftermarket Heated Seats?