C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Steeroids R&P Vs. Flaming River R&P

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 05:10 PM
theybot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opinions on Steeroids R&P Vs. Flaming River R&P

HI Guys,
My 63 coupe has a tendency to hunt the road especially on mixed surfaces.
It use to be really bad and a bit scary but last weekend I installed a spreader bar and I have to say that has helped quite a bit.

I've read as much as I could find about the two R&P systems, but most post seem to be from a bit ago and wondered if there were any new instals out there or if anyone thinks it might help my problem.

My current set up is Speed direct upper arms with bilstien shocks on all 4 corners. The car was originally a manual steering but I have put in a Jeep box from the no longer around Corvettesteering. Wheels are PS engineering 17 inch wheels with 235 yokahama adman A048.
Brakes are willwood rotors and calipers at all 4 but shouldn't affect my current problems.

From what I can tell It seems like I'm getting a ton of frame flex where the box mounts to the frame. I think its this deflection that is allowing the car to still hunt on bad roads.

What I was hoping to find out was if anyone else has had this problem or if they feel like they get any flex from a R&P set up. I like the Speed direct set up especially because of the ability to adjust for bump steer.
I've read the brackets were a bit flimsy but that they may be different now.

The flaming river on the other hand has what appears to be a very stout mounting bracket, but from what i understand the rack might be to wide to get rid of the bump steer which might leave me no better than I am.

I know there are several on here that have put a R&P on and love them, I just was wondering if my logic makes sense in regards to frame flex and fixing my problem.

Many thanks,
Toby
Old 01-19-2015, 09:56 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

I'm not going with a Hunting Feeling and Frame flex as the issue. Alignment or Tire issues yes, but not Frame Flex.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:19 PM
theybot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
I'm not going with a Hunting Feeling and Frame flex as the issue. Alignment or Tire issues yes, but not Frame Flex.
If I stand next to the car and reach threw the window and turn the wheel left and right I can see the box move very clearly and quite a bit.
Probably a 1/4-3/8 at the top of it from left to right. Perhaps a little less since installing the spreader bar.
My feeling is there is enough play from frame flex that steering input is delayed enough to let the car wander before I can correct it.
Any wearable parts are all new and the car has been aligned recently.
I am going to have it done again but wanted to sort this out if possible before paying to have it done again.

Toby
Old 01-19-2015, 10:56 PM
LAddams
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed the same thing. I havent driven the car yet . Bought it partially reassembled. My car has the borgeson rack. Am planning to research it further and verify the installation before driving it. But interesting that someone else noticed the same thing with an aftermarket installed box. Hopefully someone that has installed the rack and driven it will chime in. I wouldnt call it frame flex but can def see the rack move a bit when turning the wheel like you say.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:18 PM
holley505
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I am getting steeroids this week... I will let you know!
Old 01-19-2015, 11:50 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Can't tell you if it helps but my steeroids doesn't cause me any issues. Tracks straight and even.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:37 AM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

My factory system doesn't have any wondering at all after I rebuilt it. No steering delay or vagueness at all.

Is your frame very rusted around the gearbox area? Maybe it needs repaired/reinforced?
Old 01-20-2015, 06:50 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

I agree with others that frame flex is probably not the culprit here based on what you are saying. I suspect something else is a miss-rag joint,ball joints (especially lowers), control arm bushings-upper and lower, something with the jeep box, Trailing arm bushings in the rear as well as the rear strut rod bushings. The frames do flex but should not to that extend especially with a spreader bar installed-every C3 should have a front spreader bar-one of the best bangs for the dollar.

I had my GM OEM Steering box custom/blueprinted rebuilt by one the resident steering experts no longer on this forum, along with a front spreader bar, poly upper and lower control arm bushings and the steering has zero play, no wandering, and excellent steering feedback with
255/45/17 ZR tires. Unless your jeep box is defective or out of adjustment-it could be-I suspect that R&P will not solve the problem
Old 01-20-2015, 10:24 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

If the Steering Box really is moving around that much then some sort of gusset welded or bolted in should stiffen things up. I have never used this box but have also never herd of frame flex from them either.
Since it sounds as though all the suspension components are new I'm still going with Alignment or Tires as the issue. I once had a C3 aligned at a big name tire store for a great price on what was then the newest and greatest alignment rack. I drove the car 80 miles or so and it was so bad I had it re done as I was afraid to drive it back. I recommend finding a local shop that specializes in motor sports and does the alignments by time and material.
I have a BMW 5 as a daily driver. I had Goodyear F1 tires on it. Here in the Seattle area we spend all our License Tab money building Bike lanes and just let the Roads go to H. The car wanted to dive in and out of the freeway ruts and You more or less had to pay attention to what You were doing. My Girlfriend hated it. I switched Michelin and the problem dramatically went away She is happy and I think its boring to drive now.
You might think about begging or borrowing some tires for a short drive to see what happens.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:12 AM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I put the FR rack on my C3 LS conversion. I like it a lot. Their frame design is very solid. No Regrets.

I'm not sure how it compares to the others. I'm getting ready to put on a Borgeson box on my C2, so I'll have some first hand knowledge after that.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:46 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Time to examine that frame, you got some weld or rust issues, I can't imagine that much flex at the box, sure the box is installed right??

winter 01-02 I put my own rack install, before any kits, did my own brackets, links, input design.... noticed a huge improvement in the steering feel and handling....then I put in a cross support between upper A arms and the car really dug in on the corners, stiff as a go cart now.... 460 front 360 rear springs, Bilstein shocks all around.....255/50/27 front 275/50/17 rear....

Old 01-22-2015, 12:26 AM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by holley505
I am getting steeroids this week... I will let you know!
Same! FedEx tracking said it was going to arrive today but now it looks like tomorrow or Friday. Can't wait!

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on Steeroids R&P Vs. Flaming River R&P

Quick Reply: Opinions on Steeroids R&P Vs. Flaming River R&P