C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 C3 engine questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 05:15 PM
Tom489
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 81 C3 engine questions

Had some great advice so far thanks everyone. So figured I would update the first thread since it turned into a pretty long one and post all the pictures that were requested up front. In case any first time readers are here What I am trying to do is figure out what is running my Frankenstein engine so I can figure out where to go from here on future upgrades.

Will keep the pics updated as I am working on the car as I go with the investigating. May take me a little bit sometimes as I work full time as an aircraft mechanic.

[/QUOTE]
Heads

Last edited by Tom489; 01-21-2015 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Updated Pictures
Old 01-20-2015, 06:17 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

show us some pictures of the engine. From what you are saying, I doubt it has the original carb on it.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:30 PM
Tom489
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by qwank
show us some pictures of the engine. From what you are saying, I doubt it has the original carb on it.
Just went outside and took some pictures. Let me know if you need anything else. Also just noticed for the first time my camera picked it up there is a faint F stamped in front of the engine number would that still be the standard 73 190 hp model? like i said i am just trying to figure out what this engine is completely and what has been done so i know where to start.

also posted here
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-question.html

trying to install new valve covers and a open air filter but have questions on what hoses to plug or remove or whats needed if you have advice on that as well. thank you

Old 01-20-2015, 07:31 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom489
Let me start my first post by saying this forum is great. I bought this car a month ago from an estate sale and have used many guides on here already to done quite a bit.

Complete ignition system repladement to MSD
Complete brake system replacement.
Complete custom audio install from scratch.

My knowledge fades quickly when it comes to the engine and that's where I am hoping for some pointers

The body is an 81 but the engine is stamped 0418 CKL

Looking that up I see that it is a 73 350 rated 190hp.
What does this mean for the engine in terms of it being an l81/82 etc.

Also how can I figure out really what is done internally or what needs to be done.

From looking the carb is still stock. They have an edelbrock intake and sounds like the cam was replaced with something mild.
I know these engines were reduced due to smog reasons. How can I go about undoing everything to bring out the true power.

The engine does run nice and better than the 190 rated I think they might have put new heads on but don't knkw how to tell.

Any advice on really understanding what is done to this engine and whst needs to be done would be greatly appreciated so I can figure out where we stand.
Chances are the computer has been removed and not being used.

As previously asked...a photo of the carb would be a great help and is doubtful that it is still factory and being sued as designed.....because with a MSD system you installed....I am sure that the ESC system (Electronic Spark Control)is not being used.

Wanting to know what is inside you engine will require it being torn down or parts removed to get casting number off cylinder heads and that does not mean that they have not been modified.

If the engine is being disassembled...removing the camshaft and getting the number off the end of it will aid in knowing what it is.

DUB
Old 01-20-2015, 07:34 PM
Tom489
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by DUB
Chances are the computer has been removed and not being used.

As previously asked...a photo of the carb would be a great help and is doubtful that it is still factory and being sued as designed.....because with a MSD system you installed....I am sure that the ESC system (Electronic Spark Control)is not being used.

Wanting to know what is inside you engine will require it being torn down or parts removed to get casting number off cylinder heads and that does not mean that they have not been modified.

If the engine is being disassembled...removing the camshaft and getting the number off the end of it will aid in knowing what it is.

DUB
just posted pictures above
Old 01-20-2015, 07:39 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Just went outside and took some pictures. Let me know if you need anything else. Also just noticed for the first time my camera picked it up there is a faint F stamped in front of the engine number would that still be the standard 73 190 hp model? like i said i am just trying to figure out what this engine is completely and what has been done so i know where to start.

trying to install new valve covers and a open air filter but have questions on what hoses to plug or remove or whats needed if you have advice on that as well. thank you

What are you trying to achieve???? OR expect in any changes you plan on doing????

The carb is NOT correct for a 1981 Corvette...this is a fact.

DUB
Old 01-20-2015, 07:47 PM
Tom489
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by DUB
What are you trying to achieve???? OR expect in any changes you plan on doing????

The carb is NOT correct for a 1981 Corvette...this is a fact.

DUB

well its a 81 corvette but it has a 73 engine in it from what the casting numbers has led me to believe. so is that the carb that was supposed to be on the 73? like i said i am not sure what was done, the engine runs strong so i know its not stock just dont know anything about it. the rest of the things that needed to be fixed were easy but the engine is where my knowledge really goes down. if it was stock that would be one thing.

I am looking to achieve knowledge in what the car actually has or if there are in correct parts i can fix them. it has dual flow master exhaust hooked up to the engine as well.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:17 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

The valve covers appear to be the original magnesium covers from '81
Old 01-20-2015, 10:02 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Also just noticed for the first time my camera picked it up there is a faint F stamped in front of the engine number would that still be the standard 73 190 hp model?
The F is confusing as it indicates that this NOT a 1973 engine of any type. The F was last used in the late '60s to designate the Flint MI engine plant. The F was then dropped and V took it's place.

0418 means April 18th and is the engine assembly date, the year is not included.

CKL is not a Corvette code, '73 or otherwise. It was used in low perf (145 HP) 2 bbl. Chevelle and Impala installations.

The VIN stamp 13Y547220 is not for a Corvette of any year.

13 means a 1973 GM product. Y is a vehicle assembled in Wilmington Delaware, serial number 47220

Given the wonky F and general appearance, the stamp does not look like an original factory example, I'd guess an inaccurate restamp.

Don't go throwing good money after bad.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:07 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

You can pull a valve cover off . There will be a GM part number cast in raised letters and a date too. So you'll know the heads.

Intake has a raised part number behind the carb and date

On the pass side rear of block is the casting date . It's a raised letters .

The engine pad is the assembly date and vin.

Is your cars partial vin on the block pad ?

The pad for a 73 and 81 are physically diff sizes .

I understand your concern..wanting to know exactly what your working with.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:10 PM
Tom489
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
The F is confusing as it indicates that this NOT a 1973 engine of any type. The F was last used in the late '60s to designate the Flint MI engine plant. The F was then dropped and V took it's place.

0418 means April 18th and is the engine assembly date, the year is not included.

CKL is not a Corvette code, '73 or otherwise. It was used in low perf (145 HP) 2 bbl. Chevelle and Impala installations.

The VIN stamp 13Y547220 is not for a Corvette of any year.

13 means a 1973 GM product. Y is a vehicle assembled in Wilmington Delaware, serial number 47220

Given the wonky F and general appearance, the stamp does not look like an original factory example, I'd guess an inaccurate restamp.

Don't go throwing good money after bad.

Thanks for the reply.

So I am pretty confused after this. So what do you think kind of engine it is then? Any other ways to tell? It drives a lot better than 190 hp as the 73 would suggest.

What possibilities do you think could have happened? Maybe grabbing different parts of a small block and rebuilding it? Or what else do you think could have happened to make this outcome?

Do you still think its a good engine? What steps would you take to figure out what quality it is.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:18 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks for the reply.

So I am pretty confused after this. So what do you think kind of engine it is then? Any other ways to tell? It drives a lot better than 190 hp as the 73 would suggest.

What possibilities do you think could have happened? Maybe grabbing different parts of a small block and rebuilding it? Or what else do you think could have happened to make this outcome?

Do you still think its a good engine? What steps would you take to figure out what quality it is.
Probably destroyed the original block . Found this block , put a few part from this and that back on it to make a running car. Common outcome, people frustrated with stock HP , blew them up or rebuilt an early engine with performance parts inside . ...which sounds like what was done. So everything is a mystery .

The raised casting date code on the back of the block IS your DATE ....your looking for ......you can't trust stamped in info so much .

It appears the engine block has been decked from the broach machining marks I see.

You'll have to examine the engine piece by piece to see what is what . Everything has a part number and date cast or stamped in.

Last edited by LS4 PILOT; 01-20-2015 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:32 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Thanks for the reply.

The stamp pad info (if orignal) would only tell you what the engine was born as. It could have been rebuilt umpteen different ways over the years. Very common occurrence in old cars. The only way to tell for sure is complete disassembly.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:47 PM
Tom489
Heel & Toe

The stamp pad info (if orignal) would only tell you what the engine was born as. It could have been rebuilt umpteen different ways over the years. Very common occurrence in old cars. The only way to tell for sure is complete disassembly.

Thank you for all the replies looks like I'll have to venture in tearing it down one day soon. Never tore apart an engine Before

If anyone has advice on how I can put my air cleaner and valve covers on in my other post I would appreciate it. All the vacume lines have me confused on which ones I have to use and which ones to plug.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:28 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

If anyone has advice on how I can put my air cleaner and valve covers on in my other post I would appreciate it. All the vacume lines have me confused on which ones I have to use and which ones to plug.
With the mishmash of unknown hardware, almost impossible to say. Not to add insult to injury, but the MSD distributor is a downgrade from the HEI the engine had previously.

I'd put everything back to how the car was before and call it good.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:03 AM
Tom489
Heel & Toe

With the mishmash of unknown hardware, almost impossible to say. Not to add insult to injury, but the MSD distributor is a downgrade from the HEI the engine had previously.

I'd put everything back to how the car was before and call it good.
The old distributor system was shot. And the Msd system is not just a regular MSD its a HEI MSD system. I wouldn't take away the HEI just upgraded the parts since the only stuff was old and not firing correctly

So on a normal c3 I have searched these frourms and see a lot of people who have changed to an open air filter and changed out their covers.

Anyone know what vacume lines are not needed?
Old 01-21-2015, 10:26 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If the engine runs fine, why would you go messing with it? You indicate that you are not a knowledgable mechanic; if you tear into an engine you don't know how to repair, what is the objective?

If you just want a more powerful engine, buy a ready-built crate engine with the power level you want and swap out the engine in your car. Be advised that if you get too much engine, other 'things' in the car's drivetrain may fail from the power level they were not designed to handle.

Get notified of new replies

To 81 C3 engine questions

Old 01-21-2015, 11:00 AM
Tom489
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
If the engine runs fine, why would you go messing with it? You indicate that you are not a knowledgable mechanic; if you tear into an engine you don't know how to repair, what is the objective?

If you just want a more powerful engine, buy a ready-built crate engine with the power level you want and swap out the engine in your car. Be advised that if you get too much engine, other 'things' in the car's drivetrain may fail from the power level they were not designed to handle.
Thanks for the input.
I am quite a good mechanic. I fix aircraft for a living. I stated as far as the engine goes that's where my knowledge lacks. As for internals.

However how does anyone ever learn? Why would I soend thousand of dollars on a crate engine without even knowinf what I have in mine?

I want to get this engine to 400hp is my goal and I don't think it will be that hard (yes expensive) but hopefully when I tear it down some of the items will already be ideal for the conversion.
Before I get to 400hp I'll redo the rear end because I hate the gears that's in here now.

I bought this car knowing it needed work. Got it for almost nothing and the frame is rust free and in perfect shape. And body just had a couple scratches and chips to take care of. I needed a hobby after selling my 00 camaro and bought my all time favorite car/body style

Thanks for the input everyone I think I received everything that ican until I look inside. Until next time

Tom.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:29 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

maybe you could bring it down to a speed shop and have the power measured on a dyno so you know where you stand. Maybe you're already close to where you want to be.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:28 PM
Tom489
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT
You can pull a valve cover off . There will be a GM part number cast in raised letters and a date too. So you'll know the heads.

Intake has a raised part number behind the carb and date

On the pass side rear of block is the casting date . It's a raised letters .

The engine pad is the assembly date and vin.

Is your cars partial vin on the block pad ?

The pad for a 73 and 81 are physically diff sizes .

I understand your concern..wanting to know exactly what your working with.

Pulled

Off the back of the Block today when looking around the Internet doesn't give to much just says that it was a popular 350.

Pulling covers tonight and uploading pics of the heads

Quick Reply: 81 C3 engine questions