C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small block Serpentine set up on big block?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 03:08 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Default Small block Serpentine set up on big block?

There was a tread about Big block brackets that a fellow said you could use small block serpentine set up so I wanted to start a new thread rather than high jack that one.

A great guy and friend sent me a small block serpentine belt set up, that I admit I didn't look at yet since the car is still at the shop...

So is this true??? can the factory serpentine set up be used on a bb car?

In my case I have power steering, and will add AC,
I also want to add a spreader bar since I run a heavy old bb,

Many thanks!
Old 01-22-2015, 03:18 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

http://www.fidnet.com/~harleyms/serpentine%20page.htm
Old 02-28-2015, 08:45 AM
rworley6641
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
There was a tread about Big block brackets that a fellow said you could use small block serpentine set up so I wanted to start a new thread rather than high jack that one.

A great guy and friend sent me a small block serpentine belt set up, that I admit I didn't look at yet since the car is still at the shop...

So is this true??? can the factory serpentine set up be used on a bb car?

In my case I have power steering, and will add AC,
I also want to add a spreader bar since I run a heavy old bb,

Many thanks!
I too; want to do this in a C3 1970 BB. I question if the hood will close as the AC compressor and alternator look they mount to high. Do you have info if this setup will fit under the hood of a C3?:
Old 02-28-2015, 02:18 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

My friend has a bbc with sbc serp set up, they drilled holes in the heads for the serp bracket to attach.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:25 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I decided against this route when i saw all the fab work vs the looks of the end result....
Old 02-28-2015, 10:48 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Several years ago, someone on ebay was selling adapter plates that would allow the SB serpentine kit to be mated to a BB. I bought a set of the plates, and now I have a BB engine setting on a frame with the SB Serpentine kit on the engine. I think, the AC compressor will be too high for a BB hood...even a L88 hood. I think that if the adapter plates were redesigned, the AC compressor could be lowered.
GM makes a Serpentine kit for BB's. Forget about it. All the mounting brackets are cast iron. The GM Performance Parts catalog BB Serpentine kit, with accessories, weighs 105 pounds. The GM Performance Parts catalog SB Serpentine kit is much less weight,...it has all aluminum brackets.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:48 AM
rworley6641
Instructor

Default C3 Big Block serpentine belt drive

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
Several years ago, someone on ebay was selling adapter plates that would allow the SB serpentine kit to be mated to a BB. I bought a set of the plates, and now I have a BB engine setting on a frame with the SB Serpentine kit on the engine. I think, the AC compressor will be too high for a BB hood...even a L88 hood. I think that if the adapter plates were redesigned, the AC compressor could be lowered.
GM makes a Serpentine kit for BB's. Forget about it. All the mounting brackets are cast iron. The GM Performance Parts catalog BB Serpentine kit, with accessories, weighs 105 pounds. The GM Performance Parts catalog SB Serpentine kit is much less weight,...it has all aluminum brackets.
So to this date,03-01-2015; no one has a big block in a C3 with the serpentine belt system mounted on the small block brackets and be able to close the hood.? Least wise I have not been able to find a thread about it. One member said he spent $2800 for a vintage air front runner and still had to do a lot of mods to get it to fit?
Old 03-03-2015, 11:44 PM
forvicjr
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rworley6641
So to this date,03-01-2015; no one has a big block in a C3 with the serpentine belt system mounted on the small block brackets and be able to close the hood.? Least wise I have not been able to find a thread about it. One member said he spent $2800 for a vintage air front runner and still had to do a lot of mods to get it to fit?
I gotem on my big block. Brackets from 89 tuned port camaro. Ac compressor insanely close to hood.

Add... you do have to run the underdrive crank pully to clear the cross member. Stock one is to big in diameter.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:47 AM
rworley6641
Instructor

Originally Posted by forvicjr
I gotem on my big block. Brackets from 89 tuned port camaro. Ac compressor insanely close to hood.

Add... you do have to run the underdrive crank pully to clear the cross member. Stock one is to big in diameter.
Did you use the adapter plates commonly sold on ebay ($150) behind the small block brackets and did you use the GM stock AC compressor? Is your C3 hood the stock clearance? This is a way cheaper way to go if you can get the brackets, pulleys, alternator, ac compressor, water pump, etc from a u-pull-it salvage yard. But, didn't want to go through the hassle if it won't fit under my BB stock hood. I think the R4 GM ac compressor might mount higher than an after market Sandan AC compressor.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:45 AM
forvicjr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rworley6641
Did you use the adapter plates commonly sold on ebay ($150) behind the small block brackets and did you use the GM stock AC compressor? Is your C3 hood the stock clearance? This is a way cheaper way to go if you can get the brackets, pulleys, alternator, ac compressor, water pump, etc from a u-pull-it salvage yard. But, didn't want to go through the hassle if it won't fit under my BB stock hood. I think the R4 GM ac compressor might mount higher than an after market Sandan AC compressor.
I made my adapter plates. Hell I didnt know they was plates even being sold for this. Stock compressor sits under aftermarket hood BUT its under the portion of the hood that would be the same hight as a stock hood. I got like 1/2 " clearance hood to compressor. As i said above you got to run a small underdriven crank pully for frame clearance.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:39 AM
Z06FEVER
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my link to a post I did. I converted the GM BBC kit to work.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ulley-kit.html
Old 03-05-2015, 12:42 AM
Z06FEVER
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which crank pulley did you run? ( brand and part number?) I had to notch my frame out
Old 03-05-2015, 12:16 PM
forvicjr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z06FEVER
Which crank pulley did you run? ( brand and part number?) I had to notch my frame out
I used the March underdrive kit for the camaro. Not sure of the part number.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:26 PM
CWyler
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a SBC Chevy serp setup on my engine right now. It is actually off of an early 90's S10 V6 (they used the same setup as the sbc). Bought Kwik perf plates and got the bracketry out of a junkyard for basically nothing. I'm far from being able to comment on hood clearance at this point as I'm in the middle of a frame off, but from preliminary measurements it will be tight, but should fit under the hood. I'll have roughly $300 in the system (including the reverse rotation pump) when done.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:32 PM
CWyler
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure I recommend my route as you need both the testicular fortitude to notch the frame as well as the ability to box her back up.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:47 PM
forvicjr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CWyler
I'm not sure I recommend my route as you need both the testicular fortitude to notch the frame as well as the ability to box her back up.
Same rule appies to your set up. Run the underdrive pulley and no torch or welder needed.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:58 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

As i said above you got to run a small underdriven crank pully for frame clearance.
I think you want to run an underdrive crank pulley regardless of frame clearance. My GM Serpentine Kit on my 68 SB had a crank pulley that would fit the crossmember. It was way too large of a diameter. It was designed for 91/92 stock Camaros and Firebirds...The large diameter was intended to keep these stock cars cool with ac/electric fans running while idling in hot weather. This creates a large parasitic drag from the water pump and alternator at any speed. On my 68, I have a March underdrive crank pulley for my stock GM Performance Parts catalog Serpentine kit. I have no heating problem at driving speeds...the water pump flow keeps the engine cool...but at idle the small diameter pulley means the alternator cannot produce enough power for the electric fans....I dip into the battery at idle.
..About the no heating problem, I have a Be Cool Big Block radiator for my small block ZZ4 running pure ethylene glycol...no water at all...cold as a witch's tit.

Get notified of new replies

To Small block Serpentine set up on big block?

Quick Reply: Small block Serpentine set up on big block?