C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

re-chroming question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 06:17 AM
chevyfiftynine
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default re-chroming question

Hi Forum,

I put my rear bumper in for re-chroming, but when I got it back the edges had been carelessly ground down leaving a ragged edge and it's visible from above. The chroming was fine but both bumpers have ugly grinding marks at the edges in two places. Is it possible to fill in the edges and build them up with cataloy and have them re-chromed again? Would that mean that the steel is thinner as a result of being reground? The cost was $300 but new ones sent to the UK would be about $1200. I've taken the parts away and I'm going back to the electroplaters, but I'd like to be armed with some knowledge in case it turns into a court case. All this trouble because one guy was careless with the grinding wheel - why am I not surprised?
Thanks, Barry.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:24 AM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

I had good luck with Paul's Chrome Plating, also in Pa. It's been several years ago, but he was "the man" in my area for all the custom motorcycle builders, and took pride in his work.

http://www.paulschrome.com/
Old 01-23-2015, 04:08 PM
Condo_454C3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have any experience with anyone good in NJ? I need my bumpers done as well but Paul's is almost 7 hours from me!
Old 01-23-2015, 06:03 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

I would have the areas that need it built up with bronze weld and then re-polished and re-chromed. The scratches could be buffed out but it will leave the bumper a lot thinner.
Suggest you have the platers strip the chrome off before the areas are rebuilt. I guess you will be wanting to have a crack at them for the poor prep on the original job? See if they will come to the party on the cost as anything to do with a decent electroplating job is expensive and like painting its all in the prep work.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:34 PM
chevyfiftynine
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Chroming advice

Hi Guys, thanks for all your advice. I'll look into these places. I hope as Haggisbash says, that it can be filled in with bronze and re-chromed. I found out today that insurance wouldn't cover it as it's not an accident. I thought it might be an option to put in a claim and have the company pay the excess etc, but not so.
Regards, Barry.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:46 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by Condo_454C3
Anyone have any experience with anyone good in NJ? I need my bumpers done as well but Paul's is almost 7 hours from me!
Condo, Librandi's Plating is a bit closer to you in Middleton Pa. South-east of Harrisburg, just off the PA Turnpike next to the Susquehanna River.
http://www.carchrome.com/

They come to Corvettes at Carlisle every year and probably do most of the Carlisle shows. They do superb work and I doubt you would be disappointed.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 01-26-2015, 09:33 PM
VETTE N ME
Racer

I sent my bumpers for my 71 Monte Carlo to TRI CITY PLATING in Elizabethton, Tennessee. Lifetime warranty!! http://tricityplating.com/
Old 01-28-2015, 06:01 PM
Condo_454C3
Racer

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
Condo, Librandi's Plating is a bit closer to you in Middleton Pa. South-east of Harrisburg, just off the PA Turnpike next to the Susquehanna River.
http://www.carchrome.com/

They come to Corvettes at Carlisle every year and probably do most of the Carlisle shows. They do superb work and I doubt you would be disappointed.

Good luck... GUSTO
Thanks for the info, I will check them out

Get notified of new replies

To re-chroming question

Quick Reply: re-chroming question