C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum diagram question

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 10:47 PM
Bluefalcon1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum diagram question

I just installed all 24 new vacuum lines as shown in the attached PDF diagram. You will see that the wiper door solenoid under the dash has vacuum hose 4 and 7 going into it. The solenoid also has another connector that looks identical to the other 2. It looks like a dial or a filter in the attached diagram. What ever it is, mine is missing. If I were to guess I would say it was a missing filter. If so, do I have to buy a new wiper door solenoid or can I get a filter that will work for this. If it is not a filter what could this 3rd inlet possibly be?

Your help as always is greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Corvette Vacuum Diagram.pdf (489.4 KB, 1265 views)
Old 01-30-2015, 08:56 PM
Bluefalcon1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Vacuum diagram response

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Bf,
The third nipple is indeed the vent for the vacuum.
You can cut a small cube of soft foam (like weatherstrip foam from the home store), make a little tunnel in one side and push it on the nipple.
About 3/4"x3/4"x1" is about right.
Regards,
Alan
Alan, Thanks for your reply. Is this a one way vent? Since you called it a vent I assume air comes out but not back in. Is this correct? I have several one way filters I might be able to use on this.

LMK
Old 01-31-2015, 12:55 AM
Dave J
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Is this a one way vent? Since you called it a vent I assume air comes out but not back in. Is this correct? I have several one way filters I might be able to use on this.
The vent you refer to at the end of the solenoid is designed to allow atmospheric pressure to enter the control circuit of the wiper door system (port c). The term VENT is mostly a misnomer, in that the operation of the control circuit relies more on the principle of vacuum evacuation, or simply replacing the evacuated hose with atmospheric pressure. I know, lots of words, but it's the application of atmospheric pressure that does the moving in our systems.

The activation of the wiper switch determines the vacuum path in the solenoid, as in the following diagrams.

You can see that control vacuum flows through the solenoid in the above picture. The relay top vacuum chamber is sealed to hold it.

This picture shows the control vacuum blocked at the inlet port, and allows the vacuum that was in the balance of the hose to be lost to atmosphere, or vented so to speak. The bottom line is there is no need for one way filters or check valves.

Last edited by Dave J; 01-31-2015 at 01:01 AM. Reason: added picture
Old 02-04-2015, 10:47 PM
Bluefalcon1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dave J
The vent you refer to at the end of the solenoid is designed to allow atmospheric pressure to enter the control circuit of the wiper door system (port c). The term VENT is mostly a misnomer, in that the operation of the control circuit relies more on the principle of vacuum evacuation, or simply replacing the evacuated hose with atmospheric pressure. I know, lots of words, but it's the application of atmospheric pressure that does the moving in our systems.

The activation of the wiper switch determines the vacuum path in the solenoid, as in the following diagrams.

You can see that control vacuum flows through the solenoid in the above picture. The relay top vacuum chamber is sealed to hold it.

This picture shows the control vacuum blocked at the inlet port, and allows the vacuum that was in the balance of the hose to be lost to atmosphere, or vented so to speak. The bottom line is there is no need for one way filters or check valves.
Thank you.

Get notified of new replies

To Vacuum diagram question

Quick Reply: Vacuum diagram question