C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiring connection questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 04:04 PM
73silververt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring connection questions

[URL=http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/jrw61/media/002_zps448f2409.jpg.html][/URL]
1st photo show is my rear cargo area lamp socket, installing a new wiring harness, when I removed the original orange and white wires from socket there was a slight snap and wires came out, now neither new orange and white or old wires will now snap back into the socket, socket appears ok, whats with that?
Next, 3 wires from harness blue, white & black, diagram shoes blk & blue to door jam switch (rear of door) whats up with the white wire, it is the same for passenger door as well, and what is the correct way to install wiring to switch, looks like the harness should have a spade connector to slide on switch terminals, or am I missing something here too
Old 01-28-2015, 05:16 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Those terminal ends plug into this type of switch,
http://www.zip-corvette.com/catalog/...-alarm-switch/
Old 01-28-2015, 09:03 PM
73silververt
Instructor

Originally Posted by Peterbuilt
Those terminal ends plug into this type of switch,
http://www.zip-corvette.com/catalog/...-alarm-switch/
Aha, didnt realize I had options, guess i better look closer at my wiring before ordering electrical parts, guess I'll change out Thor connectors for spade type since I have these switches
Old 01-29-2015, 07:14 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

PHOTO's 1,2 and 3...( in case you did not know).It does not matter where you put the orange and white wires in the socket. BUT...you have to use the correct 2 terminal light bulb in the socket.

AND...with the door jamb switches you have currently that use SPECIFIC spade connectors on them....and NOT the ones you show in PHOTO'S 4 and 5. JUST MAKE SURE that when you connect the spade ends to the switches...you CORRECTLY POSITION the spade connector...so IF it has to come back off....you can go in with a very small pin tool and release the the terminal due to the HOLE that is in the terminal of the switch.

DUB
Old 01-29-2015, 07:30 PM
73silververt
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUB
PHOTO's 1,2 and 3...( in case you did not know).It does not matter where you put the orange and white wires in the socket. BUT...you have to use the correct 2 terminal light bulb in the socket.

AND...with the door jamb switches you have currently that use SPECIFIC spade connectors on them....and NOT the ones you show in PHOTO'S 4 and 5. JUST MAKE SURE that when you connect the spade ends to the switches...you CORRECTLY POSITION the spade connector...so IF it has to come back off....you can go in with a very small pin tool and release the the terminal due to the HOLE that is in the terminal of the switch.

DUB
With the cargo area lamp, I gave the terminal ends on my new wiring harness a little squeeze with vise grips, this bulged them slightly and felt snug in connector when installed, I do have a 2 terminal bulb for that. Still struggling with door ajar switch and wiring, I looked in the gm shop manual and the wiring diagram shows all 3 wires white, blue and black to both left and right rear door jam switches, unlike the diagram I had previously posted (shows blue and black only). I don't really want to start hacking on a new harness, is that the correct switch, are there different producers, therefore differences in switches produced. Finally are my new harness connectors correct?
Old 01-30-2015, 06:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 73silververt
With the cargo area lamp, I gave the terminal ends on my new wiring harness a little squeeze with vise grips, this bulged them slightly and felt snug in connector when installed, I do have a 2 terminal bulb for that. Still struggling with door ajar switch and wiring, I looked in the gm shop manual and the wiring diagram shows all 3 wires white, blue and black to both left and right rear door jam switches, unlike the diagram I had previously posted (shows blue and black only). I don't really want to start hacking on a new harness, is that the correct switch, are there different producers, therefore differences in switches produced. Finally are my new harness connectors correct?
I will look at my wiring diagram....because you have two switches in each door jamb...one in the front hinge post and one at the back.

DUB
Old 01-30-2015, 06:33 PM
73silververt
Instructor

You are correct, my old wiring harness was a bit butchered, difficult to rely on, but there were three wires at the rear door jam switches, thanks

Get notified of new replies

To wiring connection questions

Quick Reply: wiring connection questions