C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crankcase Ventilation

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 06:13 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

Default Crankcase Ventilation

Anyone have any good advice or experience with a good quality way to ensure the crankcase is vented oh a higher hp performance motor

What have you used or are using that does the job well .
Old 01-28-2015, 08:02 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Well, you did not give details on your set up, but following a stock system will work.

Or, I use a PCV on one valve cover, and a breather/oil fill on the other. Very common way. Make sure your breather holes are baffled if using custom covers.

Plumb w 3/8 hose to 3/8 size port on either carb or manifold (use a dedicated port).

Last edited by mikem350; 01-28-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:05 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

If you use an electric pump the fuel boss cover is a easy good spot. You can buy a cover with a AN fitting or make your own. If you still got a mech pump, I've welded a tube onto the adapter in the lower corner. Buy some cheap clear hose at your local hardware store hose clamp and run either of those to a remote breather tank.

FYI headers evacs don't work with mufflers
Old 01-28-2015, 08:51 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by BOOT77
If you use an electric pump the fuel boss cover is a easy good spot. You can buy a cover with a AN fitting or make your own. If you still got a mech pump, I've welded a tube onto the adapter in the lower corner. Buy some cheap clear hose at your local hardware store hose clamp and run either of those to a remote breather tank.

You sure caught my interest on this one. Since I have fabricated Valve Covers that have no Baffleling and I have issues sucking Oil. So what happens in this regard of sucking Oil down in the Fuel Pump area ?Since it is far enough down, and the vacuum source is higher up the Oil should naturally want to run back.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:57 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Thats interesting do you have any pics or information on this type of set up ?
Old 01-28-2015, 10:26 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
You sure caught my interest on this one. Since I have fabricated Valve Covers that have no Baffleling and I have issues sucking Oil. So what happens in this regard of sucking Oil down in the Fuel Pump area ?Since it is far enough down, and the vacuum source is higher up the Oil should naturally want to run back.
If you mean pulling vac like from a pvc you shouldn't down there. I know a vac pump will get too much oil mist from that area. You could prob get some baffles tach welded on the inside of the covers or maybe route your line thru a sealed tank. Some kind of tank you could with baffles and a drain would be more ideal, but a simple inline fuel filter could work. Just depending on size idk how often you'd have to change/drain it. Also vac pumps pull from the drivers front to get less mist so depending where you have your pvc located. The direction of the rotating assembly sucks one side some and restricts the other some.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:27 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by diehrd
Thats interesting do you have any pics or information on this type of set up ?
It's kinda hard to see, but I'll try and get a shot of it on the car tomorrow.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:22 AM
vetteguy22
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
I have seen issues with the motor sucking enough oil if it is ported to the carb or intake manifold that it can start fouling plugs.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:21 AM
68post
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Some know this, and some don't , but you don't want to use a stock or any type of pcv venting on a hi-perf engine. You do not want oil vapors pulled back into the intake.

There are breather/tanks (air - oil separators) that you can plumb into the upper part of the oil pan, or as mentioned use the fuel pump boss, or the intake manifold can have a hole drilled into it too. The tanks will have a petcock on the bottom to drain any captured oil.
They're cleaner than just a breather on a valve cover.

Look in a ; Stef's, Moroso, or Canton catalog, or any circle track vendors.

Stef's Crankcase/Oil pan vent system ; part #5130 for aluminum pans , and #5132 for steel pans.

http://www.stefs.com/catalog/2022tanks.pdf

Last edited by 68post; 01-29-2015 at 02:37 AM. Reason: no
Old 01-29-2015, 02:51 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by diehrd
Anyone have any good advice or experience with a good quality way to ensure the crankcase is vented oh a higher hp performance motor

What have you used or are using that does the job well .
The best way is with a mechanical vac pump, I'd guess the second best way is with a header evacuation system.

DO MA NEU!
Old 01-29-2015, 09:18 AM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 68post
Some know this, and some don't , but you don't want to use a stock or any type of pcv venting on a hi-perf engine. You do not want oil vapors pulled back into the intake.
WOT there is no vac and the pvc shuts

Again as I said earlier you can't use header evac with mufflers
Old 01-29-2015, 11:19 AM
HBZ_81_C3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you go to a mechanical/belt driven vacuum pump, you will need to also install a regulator so the system does not pull too much vacuum. Too much vacuum will starve the wrist pins for oil in a street application.

IMHO a vacuum pump on a street car is not worth the $$$$ for the return in HP.

I run Moroso breathers in each valve cover on my pig.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:15 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

WOT there is no vac and the pvc shuts
Check the L88 PCV system..yes its got one in the stock valve covers
Old 01-29-2015, 11:11 PM
68post
Burning Brakes

Since we don't drive around at WOT ..the pcv will introduce the complete intake tract to oil .
Runners , back of intake valves, and combustion chambers - where it can very well cause spark knock. This is severe to a true high performance engine !

It is just an emission device , and the other emission devices that get omitted never create as much concern as a lowly pcv.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:17 AM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

You know what they say about opinions.

Well got my community service in and answered a few question bout this n that GL
Old 01-30-2015, 04:27 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Since we don't drive around at WOT ..the pcv will introduce the complete intake tract to oil .
Runners , back of intake valves, and combustion chambers - where it can very well cause spark knock. This is severe to a true high performance engine !

It is just an emission device , and the other emission devices that get omitted never create as much concern as a lowly pcv.
I plug my baffles with scotch Brite pads, filters out the oil.

DO MA NEU!
Old 01-30-2015, 08:58 AM
68post
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bluedawg
I plug my baffles with scotch Brite pads, filters out the oil.

DO MA NEU!
Not sure if you have an open system, or it is plumbed into your intake, but I'm sure you've seen race cars with a shop rag tied around the valvecover breather to catch excess oil.

BOOT77, I'm not disputing that a header evacuation system will not work with exhaust backpressure , or that the factory emissions system isn't adequate for a stock engine. I'm not here to argue with anyone including yourself.
It's not my opinion - but a fact that a race engine doesn't incorporate a crankcase breather setup that pulls vapors into the intake tract for various reasons.

Get notified of new replies

To Crankcase Ventilation

Old 01-30-2015, 09:26 AM
kwplot34
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been running this set up for 5 years now, works very well.
http://www.gzmotorsports.com/
Old 01-30-2015, 01:35 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Not sure if you have an open system, or it is plumbed into your intake, but I'm sure you've seen race cars with a shop rag tied around the valvecover breather to catch excess oil
It's plumbed I to the carb, the other side has a grommet and a breather. The grommet was a blind, but I drilled 3-1/8" wholes so that the flow was reduced. I don't have much blow by, but when im into it I would get oil at the pvc, the scotch Brite pads allow it to breath but make it harder to get oil back.

DO MA NEU!
Old 01-30-2015, 08:02 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Those questioning the exhaust evacuation , you do know it is supposed to be welded to the collector right ? It is the movement of exhaust gases that draws the crank case vapors out at least as I understand it.

So why would this not be a good system ?

Quick Reply: Crankcase Ventilation