C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sealing off smog pump exhaust line

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 12:29 PM
anewstatic
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sealing off smog pump exhaust line

I'm finishing up putting everything back together after recently changing out my cam. My mechanic friend noticed my smog pump was in bad shape and because I don't have to have my car emissions tested, suggested we just remove it and block the line off all together. Have any of you done this? We're trying to think of the best way to cap off the line which is essentially a 3/8" tube (I believe the measurement is correct?).
Old 01-29-2015, 01:06 PM
widowmaker221
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by anewstatic
I'm finishing up putting everything back together after recently changing out my cam. My mechanic friend noticed my smog pump was in bad shape and because I don't have to have my car emissions tested, suggested we just remove it and block the line off all together. Have any of you done this? We're trying to think of the best way to cap off the line which is essentially a 3/8" tube (I believe the measurement is correct?).
Install a set of headers, they are a big bang for the buck and will let that motor breathe!
Old 01-29-2015, 02:05 PM
anewstatic
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by widowmaker221
Install a set of headers, they are a big bang for the buck and will let that motor breathe!
That's the long-term idea but I need something to work for the time being.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:27 PM
hipocars1
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

If you pull off the manifold tubes, you can put pipe plugs in the exhaust manifold. The thread size is 1/4" - 18 NPSF (American Standard Straight Pipe Thread.
Or, if you want to retain stock appearance, pull the exhaust manifolds,
remove the extension tubes in the manifolds and replace the tubes with #10 x 1/2" flat head stainless steel machine screws. The manifold tubes will seal against the head of the screw. (credit to John Hinckley for this fix)
You'll also need to "devane" the pump. It will simply spin as an idler.

Get notified of new replies

To Sealing off smog pump exhaust line

Quick Reply: Sealing off smog pump exhaust line