C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Determining Original Air Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 01:00 PM
71corvette
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 1 Post

Default Need Help Determining Original Air Cleaner

I need some help how to determine if my Open Element air cleaner is an original GM part. I bought the air cleaner base and lid around 11 years ago. It has a 454 390HP label on the lid but I don't know if that is original. The air cleaner lid has the nice rolled edges and it has the silk screened label underneath that looks vintage as it does have some worn areas where the text is. I cannot find any GM part number on the base.

Can the experts out there give me some pointers as to what to look for? I want to sell it but I also do not want to misrepresent what it is.

Thanks
Old 01-29-2015, 06:17 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 71corvette
I need some help how to determine if my Open Element air cleaner is an original GM part. I bought the air cleaner base and lid around 11 years ago. It has a 454 390HP label on the lid but I don't know if that is original. The air cleaner lid has the nice rolled edges and it has the silk screened label underneath that looks vintage as it does have some worn areas where the text is. I cannot find any GM part number on the base.

Can the experts out there give me some pointers as to what to look for? I want to sell it but I also do not want to misrepresent what it is.

Thanks
Typically, if the silk-screened air filter part number is on the underside of the lid, at least the lid is OEM. Aftermarket does not silk-screen the filter PN on the underside of the lid.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:44 AM
71corvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by TedH
Typically, if the silk-screened air filter part number is on the underside of the lid, at least the lid is OEM. Aftermarket does not silk-screen the filter PN on the underside of the lid.
Thanks, well mine has the filter part number as part of the silk screen. Do you know if GM stamped a part number on the air cleaner base?
Old 01-31-2015, 06:43 PM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

Can you get a picture of the center area where the stud opening is? Top and bottom? Originals are distinctive there.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:39 PM
71corvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by 62corvette
Can you get a picture of the center area where the stud opening is? Top and bottom? Originals are distinctive there.
yes, I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:49 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by 71corvette
Thanks, well mine has the filter part number as part of the silk screen. Do you know if GM stamped a part number on the air cleaner base?
There were two different styles of silk screen instructions, used on the underside of 66-72 chrome 14" open element air cleaner lids.

On 66-69 lids, the instructions were printed in a curved style. The instructions on 70-72 lids are printed in a straight across style. Black ink was used to print both styles of silk screen.

The bases never had a part number on them, that I'm aware of. There were at least 6 different variations to the bases, used by Chevrolet. The differences were mainly the shape, location or number of breather tubes in the base.

I know there are 3 companies, that reproduce the 14" AC bases, and there may be a 4th. The very best ones are near impossible, to tell from originals. They're being made in Michigan, I think using GM's original tooling. A company in Georgia, also makes a very nice base, but they only make one version (the version used on 65-67 big blocks, 70-72 LT-1's, & 67-69 Z/28's). The third company is making bases overseas. These bases are easy to identify, if your familiar with real ones, and/or the good repros. The stamping isn't as crisp or deep as the original ones, and as a result, they do not sit on the carb correctly.

Originally Posted by TedH
Correct repro lids, with both the curved and straight silk screened instructions, are available and have been for many years. In fact, they're available in both triple chrome plated, and the original flash chrome finish.

Last edited by gbvette62; 02-08-2015 at 09:51 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help Determining Original Air Cleaner

Quick Reply: Need Help Determining Original Air Cleaner