C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering arm Ball Joint

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 12:52 PM
Si Allnutt
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering arm Ball Joint

Hi there
I am after some guidance regarding a part on my 77 Corvette which needs a part replacing ASAP.
The mechanic described it as the Ball Joint attached to the steering arm that needs replacing. He said the Ball joint is more complicated than others as it's box shaped. He also mentioned fluid pipes going into it.
Can anyone help with this query and provide me with the proper terminology fort this part?

Thank you in advance
Simon
Old 01-30-2015, 01:16 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 781 Likes on 472 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Sounds like your power steering control valve. Or it could be the ball stud on the right end of the power steering hydraulic cylinder.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:08 PM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like the ball stud in the power steering relay. If he doesn't know what it is, you should find someone else to repair it. It is an older style power steering, and not every mechanic has been exposed to this type of system. You can get rebuild kits, or just the stud, or a whole new unit.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:01 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by F4Gary
Sounds like your power steering control valve. Or it could be the ball stud on the right end of the power steering hydraulic cylinder.
That would be my guess. The mechanic does not sound like he knows these steering systems very well.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:16 PM
haydenray
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ball joint is strictly mechanical. Any hoses going into it are probably a wrong replacement. I'm in the process of changing my PS control valve. The hoses are not near the ball joint. Find another mechanic.

Ray
Old 02-01-2015, 11:41 AM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Your mechanic may also be wrong about it needing replaced. It is normal for there to be a lot of play in that stud when the engine is off. The power steering system needs to be pressurized when you check that stud for play.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering arm Ball Joint

Quick Reply: Steering arm Ball Joint