C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Forty Eight Hour Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 12:56 AM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

I think this says it all.

Thanks again, I really enjoyed watching the build!
Old 03-16-2015, 04:43 PM
0ridetechbret
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Another update on the 48 Hour Corvette...

Going beyond the intended 48 hours, we worked another 16 hours on Friday, and another 16 on Saturday in order to get it to the NCM track in Bowling Green, Ky. The KYSCCA was running an event there and invited us to attend with the 48 Hour Corvette and my C7 Zo6.

The original intent of our Corvette suspension program was to get the C2/C3 cars as fast at the C7 Z06. [we like lofty goals ]

At the end of the day, the C7 Zo6 ran a best time of 50.3. The 48 Hour Corvette ran a best of 54.3. WE have identified a couple items that were a significant compromise to the cars initial performance. 1. we chose the wrong brake pads...we need a much more aggressive pad to get the car shut down and planted. 2. we need to lower the seat so Smitty can fit in the car comfortably with his helmet on. 3. we need to do a thorough alignment...we only took time for a quicky alignment on Saturday.

With those items now being fixed we should be ready for the next 2 weekends in Texas. This coming weekend is the Goodguys autocross at Texas Motor Speedway. The following weekend is the Optima Ultimate Streetcar event at the same track. I hope to see lots of Corvette fans at both events!

In the meantime, here is a teaser video that we shot at the NCM track yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91rQ...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-16-2015, 09:58 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,654 Posts

OK so it took longer than 48 hours and there is still some "bugs" to work out. Isn't that to be expected on a major complete remake into a cutting edge restomod? I think it's unrecognizable from what you started with. On top of that when you get it sorted out it will perform with the best of what's out there. Well done!
Old 03-16-2015, 10:28 PM
Locke
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
OK so it took longer than 48 hours and there is still some "bugs" to work out. Isn't that to be expected on a major complete remake into a cutting edge restomod? I think it's unrecognizable from what you started with. On top of that when you get it sorted out it will perform with the best of what's out there. Well done!
I agree! How many of those 'reality show' cars that get finished as they roll off the trailer at the SEMA show could then run within seconds of a C7 Z06 on the race track! Dang few.

Please update the build list with part numbers and more of the things you used. I'm interested in the oiling system as I have a dry sumped LS3 on the garage floor now to go in my C3 as the budget allows.

Thank you so much for sharing the build with us and not making it into a fight on camera which seems to be what sells on TV today. It had to be expensive to rent the equipment and get the bandwidth to go with a live feed but what great advertising! I had not seen your products for the C3 but you got me looking now!

The National Council of Corvette Clubs Annual Convention is in Lake Harmony, PA this year in August. Maybe you would consider displaying your products and running the car in the Autocrosses at Pocono Raceway. Drop Dave Walters, the Convention Director, a line at: conventiondirector2015@corvettesnccc.com

Locke
North Florida Corvette Assn.
Jacksonville, FL

Last edited by Locke; 03-16-2015 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:20 AM
glackore
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ridetechbret
Another update on the 48 Hour Corvette...

Going beyond the intended 48 hours, we worked another 16 hours on Friday, and another 16 on Saturday in order to get it to the NCM track in Bowling Green, Ky. The KYSCCA was running an event there and invited us to attend with the 48 Hour Corvette and my C7 Zo6.

The original intent of our Corvette suspension program was to get the C2/C3 cars as fast at the C7 Z06. [we like lofty goals ]

At the end of the day, the C7 Zo6 ran a best time of 50.3. The 48 Hour Corvette ran a best of 54.3. WE have identified a couple items that were a significant compromise to the cars initial performance. 1. we chose the wrong brake pads...we need a much more aggressive pad to get the car shut down and planted. 2. we need to lower the seat so Smitty can fit in the car comfortably with his helmet on. 3. we need to do a thorough alignment...we only took time for a quicky alignment on Saturday.

With those items now being fixed we should be ready for the next 2 weekends in Texas. This coming weekend is the Goodguys autocross at Texas Motor Speedway. The following weekend is the Optima Ultimate Streetcar event at the same track. I hope to see lots of Corvette fans at both events!

In the meantime, here is a teaser video that we shot at the NCM track yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91rQ...ature=youtu.be

Bret, looking forward to seeing you and the car at TMS this weekend. You all took on a HUGE project for a 48 hour window. Congrats! Gary
Old 03-17-2015, 08:31 AM
0chase@ridetech
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chase@ridetech
I will post some pics of the 315s under the car soon. A little late, but we will be at bowling green tomorrow to run the car on the dyno.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:59 AM
0ridetechbret
Former Vendor

We will be at the Texas Goodguys event this weekend MArch 20-22, and again the next weekend March 28-29 for the Optima Ultimate Street Car event. We can take passengers at Goodguys but not at Optima, so if you want to ride come to the Goodguys event. If you want to see the car run on the road course, come to the Optima event. Better yet...come to both!

Right now we are trashing to make some minor revisions [that ALL new cars seem to need]...more aggressive brake pads, seat position adjustment, replace a bad power window motor, heat sheilding, finish up the fire suppression system, a thorough wheel alignment, finish the center console.

Along with getting the Corvette ready to go, we are trying to finish up my own 69 Mustang to compete at Goodguys and Optima. Just because we didn't have enough to do
Old 03-17-2015, 11:17 AM
0chase@ridetech
Former Vendor

Last edited by chase@ridetech; 03-17-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:39 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

will the car be at good guys in kissimee?
Old 03-17-2015, 12:43 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Chase

What size wheels & tires did you end up with on all four corners? I know the back are 315's, but what's the rest? I'm using those same wheels on my Ridetech C2 conversion that Josh is doing. We are debating sizes to match the flares. Actually, we wil match the flares to the tires.

Great work!

Chris
Old 03-17-2015, 12:43 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 392 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by glackore
Bret, looking forward to seeing you and the car at TMS this weekend. You all took on a HUGE project for a 48 hour window. Congrats! Gary
Hope the rain doesn't sick around long.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:09 PM
0ridetechbret
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
will the car be at good guys in kissimee?
Yessir, the car will be running the autocross at Kissimmee. Hope to see you there!
Old 03-17-2015, 02:15 PM
0ridetechbret
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by CWerner
Chase

What size wheels & tires did you end up with on all four corners? I know the back are 315's, but what's the rest? I'm using those same wheels on my Ridetech C2 conversion that Josh is doing. We are debating sizes to match the flares. Actually, we wil match the flares to the tires.

Great work!

Chris
The wheels and tires are exactly the same size all the way around...315-30/18 Falken on a Forgeline 18x10.5 with a 5.5" backspace. You will certainly need to use flares on a C2...we've found the max "civilian" fitment on the C2 to be a 245-35/18 on a 18x7 wheel with a 5.25 backspace all around. The rear is the limiting factor on the rear backspace...the body seems to have a bit different inner wheelwell contour on the C2 cars. That is why we recommend the 5.25 backspace on the C2 and a 5.5 BS on the C3 cars.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:50 AM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very nice build and components. Did you consider using L88 flares to allow more wheel and tire? You had to give up a lot of tire when compared to the Z06. I wonder if you could have gained a few seconds running a similar wheel/tire to the car you were chasing.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:15 PM
0ridetechbret
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by uxojerry
Very nice build and components. Did you consider using L88 flares to allow more wheel and tire? You had to give up a lot of tire when compared to the Z06. I wonder if you could have gained a few seconds running a similar wheel/tire to the car you were chasing.
I felt it was important to work with a oem fendered car for this build to demonstrate how capable these cars can be with our suspension and no body modifications. After this weekemd in Texas, I think it became clear that the tire size is not a compromise in any area. The Falkens are a VERY grippy tire that will run with and beyond most other brands larger sizes.

The Z07 tires...thats a different story. That is a race slick with tread drawn on it with a magic marker . I'll be running the Z07 in a few of the Optima Ultimate Street Car events this uear. They have a 200TW rule so I'll be installing Forgelines with a set of Pilot Super Sports. Then we'll see how the two cars compare.
BTW...Smitty placed fourth at the Goodguys autocross in Texas today, running right with a 2300lb car, a 2200 lb car, and an Unser driven car. We were pleased. More refinements and tuning this week, then its on to the Optima event here in Texas next weekend. We'll see how it hamgs on the road course!
Old 03-21-2015, 11:55 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Brett, I got to see the Vette in action today at GG, and also looked at it up close. Very impressive in both respects. It was real neat to see what can be done to the C3 to make it a great handling car.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:58 AM
0chase@ridetech
Former Vendor

Here are a few pics from the Texas GoodGuys event courtesy of Kaleb Kelley

Get notified of new replies

To The Forty Eight Hour Corvette

Old 03-25-2015, 11:59 AM
0chase@ridetech
Former Vendor

Old 03-25-2015, 12:02 PM
0chase@ridetech
Former Vendor

Old 03-27-2015, 10:06 AM
0chase@ridetech
Former Vendor

The 48 HOUR CORVETTE in Texas this weekend at the Optima Search for the Ultimate Street Car

http://www.texasmotorspeedway.com/up...ate-street-car

Come Check it out!

Quick Reply: The Forty Eight Hour Corvette