C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Q-Jet Accelerator Cable Stud Position

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 06:02 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Q-Jet Accelerator Cable Stud Position

Should the accelerator cable stud be in the upper position as shown in the pic or the middle position just below? Car is a 1974.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:19 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

paul74,

How I determine where to put the stud ball on the linkage arm is this.

I look at how the cable is angled when it comes off the bracket. Is it going UP or LEVEL.

USING the center line of the cable....I take that out towards the carb linkage area...so I can see what hoel will work well.

NOW...depending on the linkage arm on the carb....just as an example. Lets say the hole in the linkage arm for the ball stud is at the 9 o'clock position when the linkage are is at idle. AND when you accelerate the linkage.....this HOLE goes UPWARDS due to the ARC that is going to occur when the linkage is accelerated.....and lets day....when you are at FULL THROTTLE ...the linkage stops at the 3 o'clock position.

Well I would make sure that my cable is going in a hole that allows FULL THROTTLE and not FIGHTING to get it to full throttle due to the angel of the cable and the placement of the ball stud.

By your photo....I honestly no one can say....because the variable of how the cable is coming out will determine which holes you use...then test to make sure you have full throttle.

AND many times...I have to modify the accelerator pedal arm so I get what I am looking for...and also modify the arm if the owner just HAS TO use thick floor mats all the time...which can effect pedal travel.

DUB
Old 02-05-2015, 07:11 PM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

a little history on the position of it from past posts. i have mine in the lower (second) hole so i can get full open on my Q jet. it was in the top hole when i purchased the car.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-hook-up.html
Old 02-05-2015, 07:17 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by speedreed8
a little history on the position of it from past posts. i have mine in the lower (second) hole so i can get full open on my Q jet. it was in the top hole when i purchased the car.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-hook-up.html
Thanks. A little history including me! When you are a little older you do have "moments". Looks like the lower hole is the one for full throttle.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:23 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DUB
paul74,

How I determine where to put the stud ball on the linkage arm is this.

I look at how the cable is angled when it comes off the bracket. Is it going UP or LEVEL.

USING the center line of the cable....I take that out towards the carb linkage area...so I can see what hoel will work well.

NOW...depending on the linkage arm on the carb....just as an example. Lets say the hole in the linkage arm for the ball stud is at the 9 o'clock position when the linkage are is at idle. AND when you accelerate the linkage.....this HOLE goes UPWARDS due to the ARC that is going to occur when the linkage is accelerated.....and lets day....when you are at FULL THROTTLE ...the linkage stops at the 3 o'clock position.

Well I would make sure that my cable is going in a hole that allows FULL THROTTLE and not FIGHTING to get it to full throttle due to the angel of the cable and the placement of the ball stud.

By your photo....I honestly no one can say....because the variable of how the cable is coming out will determine which holes you use...then test to make sure you have full throttle.

AND many times...I have to modify the accelerator pedal arm so I get what I am looking for...and also modify the arm if the owner just HAS TO use thick floor mats all the time...which can effect pedal travel.

DUB
Thanks DUB. I always read and appreciate your knowledgeable posts. Based on your comments I would say the lower stud position is appropriate. I will change in the spring when I see my car again.

I never drive my car hard...but once in awhile! And I never got the secondary whoophh last summer.

Edit* - Sometimes I do not get things right. I drove ~2,500 miles in 2014 with the stud in that position. Shows how often I put pedal to the floor!

Last edited by Paul L; 02-05-2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:27 AM
1974CorvetteJimCr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

This is my '74 and it's accelerator cable stud location. I also have a 700r4 and that is the other cable (TV cable). Hope this helps.
Attached Images  
Old 02-06-2015, 08:16 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Thank Jim. That sure is a clean intake area!
Old 02-06-2015, 10:49 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Here is where it sits on my 78, but the 74 has an 4M rather than M4M, not to mention the throttle bracket may well be different. On my 78, the throttle stud is riveted or press fit, so there's really no way to goof up where you put it.

The long stud is for cruise. The hole one the inside of the boomerang, just below the cable sheath in the picture, would have been for a kickdown. (I have since converted to manual)

Old 02-07-2015, 06:58 AM
1974CorvetteJimCr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
Thank Jim. That sure is a clean intake area!
You are welcome Paul 74. Thanks on the complement of the cleanliness of the intake. It is a new engine, and it is easy to keep it that way.

Get notified of new replies

To Q-Jet Accelerator Cable Stud Position

Quick Reply: Q-Jet Accelerator Cable Stud Position