C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Windows Runnning Slow/Sluggish

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 12:42 AM
ezrider01
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Windows Runnning Slow/Sluggish

Hey there, so I wanted to get some dialogue going on my sluggish window issue as well.

I have put a new motor on the passenger side with no difference in performance. o I didn't other changing the driver side motor at that point. I have removed and cleaned all the window crank assemblies and greased them as well...no improvement. I am wondering if the power window relay could be causing this. The pass and driver side both work from the switch but are very slow and weak.

This is on a 1977 late design.

I welcome all thoughts of wisdom.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:53 AM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

I have heard the assist spring in the regulator gets weak , this spring helps the motor lift the window.

Also.....I have taken pwr window motor apart , cleaned the brushes and commutator ....this has helped....got the old hard grease out ...relube ....might help and might not

I suspect the regulator spring ......see what others say

Tell us what you wind up doing.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:00 AM
J.D.78
Advanced

I have similar issue on my 78. Windows go down fast and go up slow. And I mean sloooooow
Old 02-14-2015, 10:22 AM
std1940
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Slow window motors

I had the same problem when installed new motors.
Tried new relay and new switchers.
Still very slow.
It turned out to be a weak battery.
I installed a new battery and now they are fast beyond expectations!
Tom.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:31 AM
ezrider01
Advanced

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT
I have heard the assist spring in the regulator gets weak , this spring helps the motor lift the window.

Also.....I have taken pwr window motor apart , cleaned the brushes and commutator ....this has helped....got the old hard grease out ...relube ....might help and might not

Will do...thanks!
Old 02-14-2015, 11:34 AM
ezrider01
Advanced

Originally Posted by std1940
I had the same problem when installed new motors.
Tried new relay and new switchers.
Still very slow.
It turned out to be a weak battery.
I installed a new battery and now they are fast beyond expectations!
Tom.
WOW!!!! That was lucky for you. I have new switches, new battery fully holding charge...have not changed relay yet. Probably need to start there????
Old 02-14-2015, 11:36 AM
ezrider01
Advanced

Originally Posted by J.D.78
I have similar issue on my 78. Windows go down fast and go up slow. And I mean sloooooow
Stay tuned...I'll keep you all posted on my own slow process.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:38 AM
commander_47
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

If you go the door, replace the assist spring. Especially with a new motor.

Those springs wear out even though they may look good.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:45 AM
ezrider01
Advanced

Default Power Windows Runnning Slow

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT

So I have taken the power window motor apart, cleaned and lubed the guts...but you mention "the brushes and commutator"...I'm not familiar with the names, are these part of the window motor guts(my lay terminology)??? Like I mentioned, I replaced the pass motor with a new one and saw nooo difference between my original power window motor performance and the new one.

Both windows go up and down very slow and weak....I almost have to help them up. and forget about it if the doors are closed and the glass starts to reached the seals....forget it!!!!

So can you be more specific about the "assist spring in the regulator"? Is it about 3-4" in diameter and it wound up in the motor assy???

Last edited by ezrider01; 02-14-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:36 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by ezrider01
So I have taken the power window motor apart, cleaned and lubed the guts...but you mention "the brushes and commutator"...I'm not familiar with the names, are these part of the window motor guts(my lay terminology)??? Like I mentioned, I replaced the pass motor with a new one and saw nooo difference between my original power window motor performance and the new one.

Both windows go up and down very slow and weak....I almost have to help them up. and forget about it if the doors are closed and the glass starts to reached the seals....forget it!!!!

So can you be more specific about the "assist spring in the regulator"? Is it about 3-4" in diameter and it wound up in the motor assy???
Have you tried applying power directly to the motor from the battery (jumper cables or some such thing) to see if there is a difference in performance. This would cut out wiring, switch and relay to either eliminate or confirm a problem with those items. If it's the same then I would suspect the spring.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:02 PM
CVO2FIXUP
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't have power windows, however it was very hard to turn the handle to lower and raise the windows. I took apart the door and lubed up the entire window mechanism thoroughly. What a difference that made. Can now raise and lower the windows with just the fingertips on the crank. Try that.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:03 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 543 Likes on 417 Posts

I had the same problem with my '79 a couple of years ago, so I bought a new motor and regulator for the driver's side. I don't remember the details but I do recall there were two separate parts to the motor - the motor itself and an attached gearbox. I found the grease in the gearbox was like glue. My solution was to clean out the old grease and re-lube the gearbox. I also removed the entire window mechanism and cleaned out the old grease, and relubed it. When I was done, the window was unbelievably fast. I still have to do the passenger side, but I've been putting it off because the whole job was no fun! FWIW
Old 02-15-2015, 10:26 AM
dprinter1
Melting Slicks

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

It's 38 years old, clean everything and re-lube, BEFORE throwing anymore parts at it.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:59 PM
ezrider01
Advanced

Default Update 2

So I have replaced the relay and it made no real difference.

I have both regulators and two new motors (not rebuilt) coming today hopefully, just decided to go new. I have cleaned and relubed tracks and mech with no real good results.

I will however apply direct power to the current motors as REELAV8R suggusts to see if it makes a difference before changing them out.

Will update with that progress. Laterz
Old 02-20-2015, 05:11 PM
bradleyb66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

I just got my 79 windows back together last night after replacing the regulators. I went back and forth as to replace regulators, motors or both. Decided to try regulators first - HUGE difference. Windows go up much faster now, even with the old motors (previously, I would have to 'help' pull them up with my hands). I also cleaned and re-lubed the channels, and replaced the roller on the windows. Both of my assist springs looked good (weren't broken), but obviously they had lost some of their 'spring'.

Since you already have the motors, it's probably easier to just replace both though. The bolts holding the motor to the regulator are 'hidden' when installed in the door, so it's just a little harder to get to them after it's all installed.

And in case you haven't already figured it out, the assist spring is a coiled spring (coiled like a snake) that is attached to the regulator (not the motor). Here is a link to one that Willcox sells, but your new regulators will already have this spring installed: http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...ducts_id=25864
Old 02-20-2015, 07:35 PM
labhound
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be sure to follow your progress on this, my driver side window was kinda like that so I lubed al the tracks and it seemed to work fine then stopped moving completely . It used to work only with the door partially open..?... now not at all.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:17 AM
labhound
Racer

Ok, where is the power window relay...? I checked the ohms in the switch both up and down and it's good.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Windows Runnning Slow/Sluggish

Old 02-26-2015, 11:31 AM
labhound
Racer

....wait here while I try and go back in time to smack the designer that put them here......

but, if one side works fine then wouldn't that rule out the relay?
Old 02-27-2015, 12:30 PM
oledave60
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

On another forum this is reported to greatly improve power to the motors.

Last edited by oledave60; 02-27-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:06 PM
addballer696
Racer

had the same problem. check the alternator. even with new battery anbad alternator will cause these symptoms.

Quick Reply: Power Windows Runnning Slow/Sluggish