C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Radiator shroud hits fan 1969

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 11:32 AM
jyoconnell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Radiator shroud hits fan 1969

Have a 1969 L46 4-speed/no AC with copper radiator. I installed a new shroud and there does not appear to be enough clearance between the fan blades and the new shroud. I've tried to adjust the shroud but I can't seem to get enough clearance. Is there a way to adjust the motor, looks like I can't. Anyone out there gone through a similar dilemma?
Old 02-15-2015, 11:48 AM
keithl1967
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

where is it contacting the shroud?
Could be worn engine or transmission mounts that cause the motor to not sit quite reight, or it could just be a bad re-pop shroud...
Old 02-15-2015, 12:23 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

What he said.

If the engine and transmission mounts are old/worn, the fan will be likely to hit the shroud, sometime during operation.

The shroud opening should be about 1-1/2" larger in diameter than the fan blades. That means there should be 1/2" to 3/4" clearance to the fan everywhere around the shroud. It is also possible that the fan and/or shroud have been changed sometime in the past and they are mis-matched.

With the car sitting in the driveway and running, open the hood and rev the engine while you watch the position of the fan inside the shroud. If the relationship between the fan and shroud change, you have worn mounts.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 02-15-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:57 PM
jyoconnell
Instructor

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
What he said.

If the engine and transmission mounts are old/worn, the fan will be likely to hit the shroud, sometime during operation.

The shroud opening should be about 1-1/2" larger in diameter than the fan blades. That means there should be 1/2" to 3/4" clearance to the fan everywhere around the shroud. It is also possible that the fan and/or shroud have been changed sometime in the past and they are mis-matched.

With the car sitting in the driveway and running, open the hood and rev the engine while you watch the position of the fan inside the shroud. If the relationship between the fan and shroud change, you have worn mounts.
Thanks so much for the quick answers. The motor mounts are new in the front and they are the correct ones (original style so I could install the ignition shields correctly). I've never replaced the transmission mount but it seems solid/intact. The fan hits the shroud at the top of the shroud, so I was wondering if I changed the transmission mount or added a spacer to raise the back of the transmission a small amount it would lower the fan height enough to get me the clearance I need.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:08 PM
keithl1967
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jyoconnell
Thanks so much for the quick answers. The motor mounts are new in the front and they are the correct ones (original style so I could install the ignition shields correctly). I've never replaced the transmission mount but it seems solid/intact. The fan hits the shroud at the top of the shroud, so I was wondering if I changed the transmission mount or added a spacer to raise the back of the transmission a small amount it would lower the fan height enough to get me the clearance I need.
I would not mess with spacers, etc...could trhow off the drivetrain geometry and create a vibration...

Try replacing the mount with a new, correct one...see fi that helps...if not, it could just be the shroud...

Are you sure it is the correct fan (could someone have made a change tot he fan type/size)?
Old 02-15-2015, 04:08 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Not sure how the shroud mounts, by maybe shim it up?
Old 02-16-2015, 12:00 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You don't "fix" a problem by band-aiding something else. The shroud has not moved. Replace the rubber transmission mount. It's not that hard or expensive.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:20 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,604 Posts

why did you replace the shroud and you are sure it is identical to the original?
Old 02-16-2015, 01:38 PM
bellaireroad
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have a 1969 L46 4-speed/no AC with copper radiator. I installed a new shroud and there does not appear to be enough clearance between the fan blades and the new shroud. I've tried to adjust the shroud but I can't seem to get enough clearance. Is there a way to adjust the motor, looks like I can't. Anyone out there gone through a similar dilemma?
Do you have the factory shims present between the core support and removable front cross member?
Old 02-16-2015, 08:22 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

At one time there were two suppliers of the ABS shrouds! One that makes it in the stiff original style and one makes it in the flexible style. The flexible style was too soft and when installed will flex down and hit the fan blades. The shroud part numbers affected would be old gm p/n 3956109 and 3956119.

This might be your problem I'm not sure... The imported by Auto Pro shroud out California was the one that was too soft.

Willcox
Old 02-16-2015, 11:35 PM
jyoconnell
Instructor

Originally Posted by keithl1967
I would not mess with spacers, etc...could trhow off the drivetrain geometry and create a vibration...

Try replacing the mount with a new, correct one...see fi that helps...if not, it could just be the shroud...

Are you sure it is the correct fan (could someone have made a change tot he fan type/size)?
I bought the shroud from Paragon. The original one got all busted up when the fan clutch let loose. I did notice the new shroud was more flexible than the original more brittle one. Anyway everything else seems right. I'll have to measure the opening of the shroud to see if it is 19" wide.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:39 PM
jyoconnell
Instructor

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
At one time there were two suppliers of the ABS shrouds! One that makes it in the stiff original style and one makes it in the flexible style. The flexible style was too soft and when installed will flex down and hit the fan blades. The shroud part numbers affected would be old gm p/n 3956109 and 3956119.

This might be your problem I'm not sure... The imported by Auto Pro shroud out California was the one that was too soft.

Willcox
The one Paragon shipped me was a softer one (3956109). Do sell the stiffer style one?
Old 02-16-2015, 11:41 PM
jyoconnell
Instructor

Originally Posted by keithl1967

Yes it's the correct fan, 17 1/2 inch diameter, 5 blades
Old 02-16-2015, 11:42 PM
jyoconnell
Instructor

Originally Posted by MelWff
why did you replace the shroud and you are sure it is identical to the original?
Original shroud was destroyed. The fan clutch broke and the fan chewed it up
Old 02-16-2015, 11:45 PM
jyoconnell
Instructor

Originally Posted by bellaireroad
Do you have the factory shims present between the core support and removable front cross member?
What shims are you talking about? The core support is bolted on the left and right with 3 bolts on each side. The bottom has two bolts but I thought if I put shims in there I would not be able to get it in. Maybe I could loosen up the core support and see if I can get a little more clearance?
Old 02-17-2015, 07:46 AM
PHIL 68
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds to me like Willcox gave you the answer although it will cost more than a trannie mount Phil
Old 02-17-2015, 08:36 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I have both on the website but the one you want is the duller looking one. The shinny black is the softer one. I suppose we should pull that one from the site... Before you go spending extra money you might try to make a tweak in the upper bracket. We had a customer bring a car in with one in and I don't remember what we did, but I know it involved the center mounting bracket and it did solve the problem.

http://willcoxcorvette.com/advanced_...ck+69&x=27&y=2

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 02-17-2015 at 08:40 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To New Radiator shroud hits fan 1969

Old 02-18-2015, 09:06 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by bellaireroad
...Do you have the factory shims present between the core support and removable front cross member?...
...What shims are you talking about?...
Do you have the 69 AIM? UPC 11-13 Sheet B4 shows the shims. Callout 17.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:08 PM
jyoconnell
Instructor

I have both on the website but the one you want is the duller looking one. The shinny black is the softer one. I suppose we should pull that one from the site... Before you go spending extra money you might try to make a tweak in the upper bracket. We had a customer bring a car in with one in and I don't remember what we did, but I know it involved the center mounting bracket and it did solve the problem.

http://willcoxcorvette.com/advanced_...ck+69&x=27&y=2
Do you have any coupon discounts available? I was getting ready to order the hard plastic part and it is $229 over $59 to ship? Seems kind of high. how about a 10% discount or something to offset the high shipping costs? Thanks
Old 05-04-2015, 05:02 PM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Willcox
So if the POS shroud that I have, and sold by Ecklers, is made by Auto Pro out of California, who makes the stiff, original type?

I'm right in the middle of this problem now as I've documented in this thread.

SL

Quick Reply: New Radiator shroud hits fan 1969