C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much horse power is to much?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 02:32 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Patro46
I'm about 568 hp at the crank on our build spec. I'm running it through a 3600 Vigilante converter through a rather beefed up 4L60e and putting it to the ground through 3:73's. I haven't dyno'd it yet, but I figure I'm losing at least 100 hp through the driveline, probably more. 1st gear is plum nuts and 2nd isn't far behind it. 1st seems to pop me out of the hole real fast but 2nd hits 'uber fast. I could have went with 3:50 gears and done just fine, but hey. the 3:73 cogs are fun, and the overdrive makes it all come together in a fun street ride. I've done a little to the rear suspension, and haven't broken anything yet...but I am considering installing an Eaton blower and give her another buck-fifty to two bucks to the rear wheels. My ONLY fear is hitting the point where I DO start breaking stuff. I think the automatic transmission and torque converter tend to absorb a lot of immediate torque from the crankshaft that doesn't get absorbed when slamming a stick and popping the clutch. In the past, that's usually when I broke 'stuff". I figure with the blower, I'll have maybe 550-600 hp at the rear wheels, probably pushing the rear end survival to it's limit. This said, I have a son with an LS in a Trans Am with two huge turbos behind a 6 speed stick. He's pushing 1200 hp, and frankly, even with all he's done is the area of suspension and rear end mods, that car is CRAZY scary at any speed. You might think you've grown ***** at 100 mph, then floor the gas pedal and find yourself going the wrong way. THAT is TOO much hp for the street especially on street tires.
Put it on the rollers.... Ive been popping stock rear ends like forever with sub 500hp.... so I can say for sure.. a stock rear end will not take the abuse of 500hp... I HOPE the new super 10 I just put in hold... hope...

Originally Posted by uxojerry
Pauldana: I hope you consider running a wider tire than an extra inch. An extra inch will only give you an 18 x 9 rear wheel/tire combination. Another option is to go with a milder cam and take some hp off the table.

You can match the wheels/tires and suspension to the hp, or match the hp to your current combination. The cheapest route is to match the hp to what you have.

When your ready to build again, you can do so.
my front rims are 18X8, rear are 18X10

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 03-01-2015 at 03:29 PM. Reason: quoted crap
Old 03-01-2015, 08:11 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Priya

I've had enough of the macho men trying to claim 800 hp is a good thing on the street.

Here is 850rwhp on a GOOD tire in a chasis that doesn't hook near as well as a C3...

Plenty safe and in control...

Here is a tip, don't drive a car with 600+ HP on 300 tread wear tires whether it be on a drag strip, road course and damn sure not when doing acceleration runs on the street... That is just retarded...

Here is 650 crank HP in a C3 chasis with some MT drag radials, 20 mph roll in 1st...

Point is, get some tires that fit the intended usage of the car and practice in it.. If its gonna be a road course car, get some Nitto 555RIIs or Toyo R888s, both are great for road course and allow the power to hook...

Last edited by ajrothm; 03-01-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:55 PM
Patro46
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Here is 850rwhp on a GOOD tire in a chasis that doesn't hook near as well as a C3...

Here is a tip, don't drive a car with 600+ HP on 300 tread wear tires whether it be on a drag strip, road course and damn sure not when doing acceleration runs on the street... That is just retarded...

Here is 650 crank HP in a C3 chasis with some MT drag radials, 20 mph roll in 1st...

Point is, get some tires that fit the intended usage of the car and practice in it.. If its gonna be a road course car, get some Nitto 555RIIs or Toyo R888s, both are great for road course and allow the power to hook...
Dig the post! I wasn't going to say anything for two reasons. First, I don't want to brag. Secondly, posts like this tend to bring out the armchair engineers, and that's not the purpose either. I put a Sharkbite coil over rear suspension in and have just began playing with the settings. What I can say is I'm rather shocked at how well it DOES hookup. I spent my drag years behind 1st and 2nd Gen fbody Camaros and can't remember ever having one that can hook so well. For street use I couldn't be happier.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:52 AM
Neil B
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
C5Z, 402/F1R, auto, 60-150 mph roll - YouTube

My 406/F1R six-speed stock suspension C5 with 800ish rwhp will bite you in a heartbeat on the street. That's on 345-35-18 Hoosier R6's. It was the same way on MT's, Toyo TQ's, and BFG Drag Radials. I can usually roll into the throttle in 3rd gear and 4 times out of 5, it'll hook. That 5th time...look out. You gotta be on your toes. It's fun but you gotta be careful. My big-block C3 with 500ish crank hp and 275-40-18 street tires hooks fine (needs more power - lol).

Last edited by Neil B; 03-02-2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:07 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil B
My 406/F1R six-speed stock suspension C5 with 800ish rwhp will bite you in a heartbeat on the street. That's on 345-35-18 Hoosier R6's. It was the same way on MT's, Toyo TQ's, and BFG Drag Radials. I can usually roll into the throttle in 3rd gear and 4 times out of 5, it'll hook. That 5th time...look out. You gotta be on your toes. It's fun but you gotta be careful. My big-block C3 with 500ish crank hp and 275-40-18 street tires hooks fine (needs more power - lol).
Thanks for the real world feedback on the C5….with 800+RWHP its not going to matter what tire is on the car and those are BIG sneakers-345/35's…I would think that your BB C3 with 500+ Gross HP is probably around 400+rwhp which is VERY street able with great ZR max performance tires. Can you imagine that car with Stock 225/70/15 S rated tires with that HP..still sticking with 600 gross HP for the way upper limit for a modified/upgraded C3 (NOT a race car on the street)..600-650 Gross HP gray area….

Last edited by jb78L-82; 03-02-2015 at 10:11 AM.

Quick Reply: how much horse power is to much?