C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another TBI fi unit to be released soon

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 05:27 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I love my highly modded 950HP, but the downside is hot starts.

This might be a great alternative. Not sure I understand the fuel system..does your engine mech. pump FEED the FTI fuel sump which in turn pressurizes the fuel for the injection?

Usually, you install a big electric hi-pressure pump inside the fuel tank. This set up it looks like the sump is installed in the engine compartment?
Old 02-27-2015, 05:46 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Edelbrock offers the same sort of sump pump for a few hundred more. When it gets warmer out up here I'll mock up a sump and see where it could fit. You could do both types of setup, I think that they are offering the easist least costly way right now, but couod always run a rtn fuel line and make the modifications to the fuel tank as many have.

Last edited by gdh; 02-27-2015 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:28 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by gdh
Thanks for chiming in Bruce as we know you have had a very good experience with your FAST unit.
The fuel command center is similar to the unit that Edelbrock offers for an additional $565. I am hoping to see one and determine if there is room in our C3 engine compartment to install the command center.
I also found the atomization process interesting and the fewer electrical connections than the others. I will watch other forums to read reviews. The 8 injector unit is $1500. These TPI units have been out long enough that the initial r & d expence has been written off.

Bruce, is there some sort of safe mode on these type of units that if something happens to the ECU that it can go into a limp mode so you're not stranded somewhere?
I personally wouldn't bother with the "fuel command center" for a few reasons:

- it won't be easy fitting it in the engine bay
- for not much more money you can have a proper in-tank pump setup, which I believe to be the best way to go
- most importantly - why over complicate things? running a low psi mechanical pump and high psi electrical pump together is just more parts to possibly fail! I understand the appeal due to the relative ease of install, but it just seems like a bad idea to me.

As for the "safe mode" question, the FAST literature states: "Built-in diagnostics & “limp home" mode is designed to provide maximum engine protection in the event of trouble"

Old 03-01-2015, 07:15 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
I personally wouldn't bother with the "fuel command center" for a few reasons:

- it won't be easy fitting it in the engine bay
- for not much more money you can have a proper in-tank pump setup, which I believe to be the best way to go
- most importantly - why over complicate things? running a low psi mechanical pump and high psi electrical pump together is just more parts to possibly fail! I understand the appeal due to the relative ease of install, but it just seems like a bad idea to me.

As for the "safe mode" question, the FAST literature states: "Built-in diagnostics & “limp home" mode is designed to provide maximum engine protection in the event of trouble"

I would be going with a full in tank rtn, I am just thinking of mocking one up to post pics of where it could possibly fit for those who are contemplating going that route. My b inlaw's co manufactures and sells fuel lines to retailers and many other auto components and I pay 10 above their cost. I'll likely make my own lines and decide whether or not to do like you and go with a new tank or modify my current one.

Thanks for the info on limp mode Bruce, as always your insight is always appreciated. I thought that there would be something but I just had this concern that with all the heat and vibrations how these newer TBI's might be affected.

Last edited by gdh; 03-01-2015 at 07:18 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:43 AM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

Hello fellow automotive enthusiasts! FiTech’s countdown to ‘release’ is still on…for a couple more days.

We at FiTech are dedicated to a top-notch performance product but we still need a little bit more time. We are a small company - lean and mean - hoping to gain your business and trust. Due to overwhelming demand and shipping/port strike delays, we will be accepting Pre-Orders when we launch our official E-commerce site this week.

Thank you for your patience and thanks for all of your hits, emails and questions you’ve sent us. Your cars and projects sound amazing and we hope to be part of your next build!

Hang tight – and check out our article on Rod Authority and Chevy Hardcore Magazine!
http://www.rodauthority.com/efi/the-...nd-efi-8-kits/

Thank You
Kenneth Farrell
Old 03-10-2015, 08:29 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

I thought when they first started mktg this thing that they said is was a comprehensive unit which included the external fuel pump and hose. Now the site says the fuel pump and hose is $199. They want $100 down for a pre order. If I were to go the f.i. route it would be an in tank unit. Will look fwd to reading reviews by ppl who bought the unit and put it through its paces.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:59 PM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

Ready for sale now.....
http://www.fitechefi.com/
Old 03-12-2015, 03:51 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

They dropped the pre order amt to $50 since yesterday - still makes me wonder if there are cashflow/capitalization issues.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:53 PM
thyshallsmite
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unknown delivery date means i'll hold off for now =/
Old 03-14-2015, 03:51 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Old 03-30-2015, 01:36 PM
Tecdiverfl
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

anyone have any update on it.

Thinking about putting one on my 67 Impala
Old 03-31-2015, 02:40 PM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

I've mailed them with specific questions regarding the use a returnless Aeromotive Phantom sump, possible heat soak and fuel pressurwith a returnless system (i had powerjection III returnless and after shutdown fuel pressure rose to +150psi), what distributor to use for timing control, if the linkage accepts a 700r4 stud, when it's available, if the installation manual can be distributed,...
Got a response back that they forwarded the mail to the tech guy. That was last week, no answer yet. If I get somerhing I'll post back
Nick
Old 04-06-2015, 07:46 PM
Tecdiverfl
Racer

I Emailed them and they said units will start shipping between April 15-30 Also received an email from the regarding my MSD box

Yes it would work perfect with our system. You would need to “Lock Out “ the distributer which is a simple process and then our ecu would take over the timing control and use your MSD box to fire your coil. It’s a simple reliable setup.
Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have and have a great day
Ken Farrell
Old 04-06-2015, 08:01 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the update. Which MSD box are you running?
Old 04-06-2015, 09:49 PM
Tecdiverfl
Racer

Street fire box and MSD distributor. This set-up is on my 67 impala convert not my corvette
Old 04-07-2015, 10:26 PM
mrscott25
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

I ordered (pre-ordered) the FITechEFI today. I was told that they are sending the first shipment out somewhere around April 15th (I probably won't make the first shipment but fingers crossed) and the second shortly after that. Either way, they expect it to arrive at my house sometime before the 1st of may.

I also ordered (pre-ordered) the sump unit.

I know there will be some goofing around trying to fit the sump in and nothing ever goes to plan when it comes time to install but I am hopeful to have her up and running within a few days of receiving it.

I will fire up a new thread after I get the parts with impressions and my results.

What I ordered:

http://fitechefi.com/default.asp.pg-...m4-InjectorKit

And

http://fitechefi.com/default.asp.pg-...lCommandCenter

Last edited by mrscott25; 04-08-2015 at 03:34 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-08-2015, 06:41 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Congrats! There are likely quite a few of us who are eager to read your reviews. The one guy I talked with who has one for testing has only been able to spend a short time with it. So far his impressions are very favourable with hp and tq figures running about the same levels as the carb which impressed him. He builds and tunes drag race engines so knows his way around carbs and fuel injection (he also is a big supporter of MegaSquirt efi systems). He hopes to spend more time with the unit but just doesn't have a lot of time.

Get notified of new replies

To Another TBI fi unit to be released soon

Old 04-21-2015, 08:39 AM
condor7
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any update from a user of this new system? I would like to go EFI but am holding off to see if this system will do the job without the headaches that I read about from the other systems. Been gun shy because of what I read on some of the other forums. I know sometimes folks do not install the systems correctly and that creates the problems but sure seems to be a lot of issues. Leaning towards a multi port FI system rather than throttle body but will hold off for now to see what experiences members have with this system. Really don't want to change my intake manifold if I don't need to.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:10 PM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

This system would fit every requirement I got : returnless (I dont want a regulator), direct timing control (I dont want to install a cdi box), fan control, enough vac ports, not too bad loocking,...
A few things have me worried
1) the lack of info and mail response
2) so much electronics above the hot manifold. If you look at the other systems, the cpu box always is a decent size so why don't they do it the same way
3) Ken Farrell was actually working for prof.products developing the powerjection III. I've tried that and the outcome wasn't good!
4) no website updates
5) almost nothing can be found about it or them on the net
6) The country list for pre-order is limited so if I would like to I cant .. (belgium)
7) look at all that fuel puddling up on the throttle blades in one of those videos except during WOT. Doesn't look like full atomisation.

If atomic efi didn't need a cdi box that would be my choice, bad reviews are few. Ez efi 2.0 as well but same cdi requirement + I'm underpowered for it
I sure hope the fitech turns out good.
Nick
Old 04-23-2015, 04:41 AM
mrscott25
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Still waiting for delivery. When I pre-ordered I was told it would be delivered by May 1st.

I am eagerly watching my email waiting for confirmation they are shipping but nothing so far. I will give feedback as soon as I get it and let you know my impressions.

For what it is worth I have had pretty good responses from these folks but I called them on the phone. Can't speak for their email response time. From what they are telling me on the phone they are getting a pretty serious demand for the efi system. Keep in mind they are a startup company and I don't think they have a huge staff yet. I'm not trying to make excuses for them but I can only imagine how hard it is to build a product, market it, deal with suppliers, customers, etc all without edlebrock or MSD'S money or staff. Could be that they are a little overwhelmed or could be they are out of their leauge... only time and my money will tell.

I am a bit of a lab rat here trying out the new system. If it is a great product I will be thrilled, if it appears they don't have things together I will be a harsh critic. Fingers crossed.

I intend to start a new thread as soon as I get the system. I'll put a note on this thread so those interested can follow.

BTW has anyone else preordered?

Last edited by mrscott25; 04-23-2015 at 04:43 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Another TBI fi unit to be released soon