C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Federal vs. Calif. Emissions Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 01:26 PM
ChromeVette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Federal vs. Calif. Emissions Questions

Vette: A 1976 without the emissions sticker or the engine vin code purchased from an auction. It needs to pass smog in California to register the vette.

SMOG Questions:
1. Without any ID if the car is Federal or California original issue. Can I purchase the Federal emissions sticker and install those components and still be able to pass smog in CA? Or do I need to install the AIR system? I'd hate to install the full AIR system if not necessary.

2. Has anyone passed smog in CA with Federal components recently without AIR system?

3. Is the THRMAC air cleaner components required to pass smog? Are there newer replacement parts for this system as I don't have the induction cowl or other intake parts? ie. are the sensors and motor required in the THERMAC to pass smog or is there a way to connnect the emissions components to air cleaner another option as these are hard to find.

I appreciate the help.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:08 PM
dugsgms74
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

1. The sticker is what the smog tech goes by so, that should work.
2.Make sure the engine is running well and the carb is working properly.
3. If its on the emission sticker then yes, you'll need it. Doesn't have to be corvette specific, just has to be there and work, check the junk yards for parts from cars of a similar vintage.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:42 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Legally, to change from a CA configuration to a Federal configuration, you need to have an engine swap approved by the BAR.

Realistically, as dugsgms74 mentioned, it would be impossible to tell as there's nothing in the VIN to say whether the motor was a Federal or CA L-48. L-82s and 1980 LG-4 cars have unique vins, so you could get caught there.

Like he said as well, you'd need thermac. It's pretty easy to get Corvette stuff on ebay. More than anything, the single snorkel air cleaner with thermac is required.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:31 PM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Allegedly you could also register as historic and then only be subject to tailpipe emissions check - visual check is supposedly waived on historic registration... but historic registration and historic insurance limits your driving freedom.

Btw - post some bigger pics of the chrome corvette... looks like a fun finish.

Originally Posted by ChromeVette
Vette: A 1976 without the emissions sticker or the engine vin code purchased from an auction. It needs to pass smog in California to register the vette.

SMOG Questions:
1. Without any ID if the car is Federal or California original issue. Can I purchase the Federal emissions sticker and install those components and still be able to pass smog in CA? Or do I need to install the AIR system? I'd hate to install the full AIR system if not necessary.

2. Has anyone passed smog in CA with Federal components recently without AIR system?

3. Is the THRMAC air cleaner components required to pass smog? Are there newer replacement parts for this system as I don't have the induction cowl or other intake parts? ie. are the sensors and motor required in the THERMAC to pass smog or is there a way to connnect the emissions components to air cleaner another option as these are hard to find.

I appreciate the help.

Last edited by Carl in LA; 02-25-2015 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:51 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

CA emissions testing is also a matter of WHERE in CA you are getting it tested. My understanding is that cars registered in 'outer' counties don't have to jump through all the hoops that coastal area cars must endure. You might want to contact the BMV in the county where the car will be registered to get their spin on those requirements.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:44 AM
ChromeVette
Instructor

All great insights into this dilemma of CA Vs. Federal.
Without the VIN or Emissions sticker I have decided to go with A.I.R system since I'm in CA. That way I know there will be no SMOG issues with the SMOG station.

Now where to get the THERMAC components......
None at Zip, Ecklers, or Keen so I'll be on Ebay looking. Unless, Anyone knows of a shop?

Thanks
Old 02-25-2015, 12:23 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

All great insights into this dilemma of CA Vs. Federal.
Without the VIN or Emissions sticker I have decided to go with A.I.R system since I'm in CA. That way I know there will be no SMOG issues with the SMOG station.

Now where to get the THERMAC components......
None at Zip, Ecklers, or Keen so I'll be on Ebay looking. Unless, Anyone knows of a shop?

Thanks
GM Sports Salvage. Are you in San Francisco proper or somewhere closer to me?
Old 02-25-2015, 01:08 PM
bradleyb66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

I just smogged my 79 last fall. It was a federal emissions car, so it doesn't have (and doesn't require) the AIR system. If your 76 has never been smogged in CA, then the state wouldn't know if it was Fed or CA emissions (I'd recommend just getting a new federal sticker). If a previous owner HAD smogged it here (and was CA emissions), then it might raise a red flag if the smog shop tried to smog it under fed. You can check the BAR for smog records at this site (not sure how far back they go, but my 79 showed records back to 1998):http://www.bar.ca.gov/pubwebquery/Ve...PubTstQry.aspx

If you don't have the air pump, I think they are kind of hard to find. You'd also have to get the exhaust manifolds with the AIR ports.

I had to get a thermac air cleaner also - I found one for sale on the forum here. E-bay should also be a good source.

The biggest issue I had with my smog check, was that they now do a pressure test of the fuel system (tank, lines, gas cap, etc). The gasket on the top of my tank was leaking, so the shop replaced it.

Good luck!
Old 02-25-2015, 02:44 PM
Snoopysvet
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

For my 1978 Federal car I just bought this sticker and no smog pump and air injection was required. Best 5.00 i ever spent

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/catal...cker&x=20&y=20
Old 02-25-2015, 02:45 PM
ChromeVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by bradleyb66
I just smogged my 79 last fall. It was a federal emissions car, so it doesn't have (and doesn't require) the AIR system. If your 76 has never been smogged in CA, then the state wouldn't know if it was Fed or CA emissions (I'd recommend just getting a new federal sticker). If a previous owner HAD smogged it here (and was CA emissions), then it might raise a red flag if the smog shop tried to smog it under fed. You can check the BAR for smog records at this site (not sure how far back they go, but my 79 showed records back to 1998):http://www.bar.ca.gov/pubwebquery/Ve...PubTstQry.aspx

If you don't have the air pump, I think they are kind of hard to find. You'd also have to get the exhaust manifolds with the AIR ports.

I had to get a thermac air cleaner also - I found one for sale on the forum here. E-bay should also be a good source.

The biggest issue I had with my smog check, was that they now do a pressure test of the fuel system (tank, lines, gas cap, etc). The gasket on the top of my tank was leaking, so the shop replaced it.

Good luck!
Thanks for the insight bradly. I definitely need to check out how the vette was previously smogged. I did find out from the REF lat year that it was smogged 4 years ago. So I'm guessing the car got emissions stripped and then prepared for the track only an not a daily driver anymore.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:49 PM
ChromeVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Snoopysvet
For my 1978 Federal car I just bought this sticker and no smog pump and air injection was required. Best 5.00 i ever spent

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/catal...cker&x=20&y=20
I looked closer at some of these stickers online and its hard to find where it lists the components per CA or Federal. It's on there right? Maybe the images are just too small online to tell. A list of the Federal Vs. CA smog components for 76 would be awesome!!!
Old 02-25-2015, 06:04 PM
bradleyb66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I looked closer at some of these stickers online and its hard to find where it lists the components per CA or Federal. It's on there right? Maybe the images are just too small online to tell. A list of the Federal Vs. CA smog components for 76 would be awesome!!!
My 79 had two stickers, one like the above pic, and another showing all equipment, vac hoses, etc, but it looks like 76 does not have this. When I did mine, I scoured the web and forum for 'under hood' pictures and vac hose routings, etc. If you can't find anything, you might want to try another thread titled something like 'What emissions equipment came stock in 76' or 'Does anyone have engine pictures of a stock 76 with emissions'.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:55 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Good luck!
If you look at the test history for my car it's been smogged as an L-82 and as an L-48... for whatever that's worth.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:47 PM
bradleyb66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
If you look at the test history for my car it's been smogged as an L-82 and as an L-48... for whatever that's worth.
Mine also showed one test as an L-82 (it's an L-48) in 1998. I wonder if they had a system issue where all cars were logged as L-82?
Old 02-26-2015, 07:26 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

I don't believe the emission labels state Federal or California emissions on them. The application is determined by the two letter code in the upper left corner of the label. "XX" was Federal L-48, "XY" was Federal L-82 and "XZ" was California L-48.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:49 PM
ChromeVette
Instructor

Good luck!

Thanks Bradly I checked the BAR and my 76' was smogged and passed successfully in 2011 which was the last time in CA. It unfortunately does not tell me if it was under federal or CA
Old 02-27-2015, 04:57 PM
bradleyb66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Bradly I checked the BAR and my 76' was smogged and passed successfully in 2011 which was the last time in CA. It unfortunately does not tell me if it was under federal or CA
Yeah, I checked mine again, and same thing. How modified is the engine? Does it still have the cast iron exhaust manifolds and stock looking intake & carb? I would GUESS that if you have the cast iron exhaust with no AIR holes, then it's probably not CA.

You could also try contacting the BAR and explain that you don't have your emissions sticker, and are trying to make the car smog legal. They might be able to look it up and see if your car was CA or Fed?

Get notified of new replies

To Federal vs. Calif. Emissions Questions

Old 02-27-2015, 10:40 PM
76CSRvette
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I would put the fed sticker say I bought it like that and maybe the previous smog tech misread label and put ca instead of fed it does happen. most smog techs go by label then what book says. just my $0.02
Old 07-21-2015, 11:32 PM
ChromeVette
Instructor

I just received some stickers from Ecklers. I bought both Federal options just to really see what they said on them as online you can't tell.

Lets Review: I have a 76 L48 with manual transmission. We all seem to think that its a federal since it is manual transmission. So we'll go with one of these, but WHICH ONE? They are identical with only difference is the "LX" vs. the "XX"????

1976 Federal with LX<br/>1976 Federal with XX

These don't say anything about CATs EGR switches, THERMAC, heat risers, smog canister.......

How exactly does the SMOG tech know what to verify with the visual if its not on THESE labels? Hmmmmmmm.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2015, 11:57 PM
dugsgms74
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

How exactly does the SMOG tech know what to verify with the visual if its not on THESE labels? Hmmmmmmm.
Its in the MOTOR manual, required text for all smog check stations.

Quick Reply: Federal vs. Calif. Emissions Questions