C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serpentine Set Up on a C3

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 06:05 AM
cooper9811
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

Cost depends on how you source the parts - I got a 92 Camaro serp kit off ebay for around $180. I lucked into a new R4 compressor for $100, which was huge. It also included a good PS pump and a bad alt. I opted to get a replacement alternator from Autozone for about $105.

Only 3 things that I had to modify - They were:

1 - the alternator pigtail (you will end up using a CS130 or similar with this setup) - $20 at summit or build your own
2 - Swapped the PS pump metric fitting for the old stock pump fitting
3 - (this was the biggest issue for me) The stock AC hose manifold was not a match for the new compressor - Contacted Nostalgic Air, and they set me up with a kit to make it work - cost about $16 shipped, so not too bad.

Including the belt, I have roughly about $450 in it. None of it was hard work, just time to work through the details.

Edit - Oops, forgot the water pump cost - I think I got a GM pump for around $90 and I scrounged radiator hoses for another $10 or $20 but that's a guess. So maybe $550-$570 in the entire setup. Vs about 900 for a new GM Performance kit (which is the same thing).

Also - Lower rad hose was off an early 90s camaro, and I had to go and look at upper hoses to find one that I could make fit. I also chose not to run the idler pulley for the smog pump.

Last edited by cooper9811; 02-26-2015 at 07:59 AM. Reason: added details...
Old 02-26-2015, 09:44 AM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

I reused my stock PS pump for my 79, it bolted on no problems, regardless of what the plug on the car you take the alternator from use a pigtail with 2 or more wires. The one I used only had 1 wire and I thought it would be ok (came from the donor car and was made for it was my thought) including the salvage yard alt. I am on my 4th alt now and replaced the plug with 2 wires this last time, you can get the borg warner pigtail/connector from a local parts store (rockauto is much cheaper if you can wait for it)
Old 02-26-2015, 07:27 PM
BLDun
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

I purchased the brackets off a '90 camaro via ebay for $120. Had them blasted and clear-coated. Had to shave some off of the AC side in order to get the bolt holes to line up but the install itself wasn't bad except for the fact that all of the bolts used to attach the various components were metric and since I did them all in stainless it took a while to track down.

Of course mine was a "while I'm at it" moment so I ended up with a DeWitt radiator, elec fans, and complete front end rebuild with all components powdercoated. I don't have AC at the moment so I'm running a delete pulley. Will add aftermarket AC later so I'll need to find the correct AC compressor that will work with this bracket.

Also opted for the chrome flex upper radiator hose. Reused the original bottom one. Had to do a little cutting on it but got it to work.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:09 AM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by BLDun
I purchased the brackets off a '90 camaro via ebay for $120. Had them blasted and clear-coated. Had to shave some off of the AC side in order to get the bolt holes to line up but the install itself wasn't bad except for the fact that all of the bolts used to attach the various components were metric and since I did them all in stainless it took a while to track down.

Of course mine was a "while I'm at it" moment so I ended up with a DeWitt radiator, elec fans, and complete front end rebuild with all components powdercoated. I don't have AC at the moment so I'm running a delete pulley. Will add aftermarket AC later so I'll need to find the correct AC compressor that will work with this bracket.

Also opted for the chrome flex upper radiator hose. Reused the original bottom one. Had to do a little cutting on it but got it to work.

I used the ac compressor from the the 87 ish camaro and re used the stock lines from the vette to connect to the compressor.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:58 PM
Ranger24
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Having a March Performance serp put on my BB. Needed a remote PS res but not a big deal.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:22 PM
redcruz1120
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default GM ZZ5 serpentine

I dont know yet about hood clearance but I will be using my after market high rise anyways. My GM system seemed to work well. All I had to do was flip the idler pulley and grind a little bit off on end of pulley bracket, get a longer belt, Swap out the power steering pump fitting from my old pump to new pump, modify the low pressure pump fitting and I ordered the alternator conversion wire so it will work with my original harness and I will be using my Sanden compressor and I purchased the brakets from Vintage Air.. I think this system runs about $800 dollars . not sure though. My system came with my ZZ5.... hope that helps

Old 03-01-2015, 07:11 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

I did the GM Kit with AC

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-on-81-a.html
Old 03-02-2015, 12:43 AM
bluegtp
Drifting

Received 287 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I went with a late 80s/early 90s fbody junk yard setup off ebay for around $200. Haven't messed with a/c yet. most of the information you need should be in this thread, if not search engine will help. That's where I found most of the information I needed.

I went with a cs144 alternator instead of the cs130. Also, if/when you buy a used setup make sure it includes the other alternator bracket. Mine didn't and I was unaware of it. The large alternator bracket tab broke on me. Working on fabbing something up instead of using factory type bracket.

Last edited by bluegtp; 03-02-2015 at 12:48 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:43 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I have the Camaro firebird Crank, Water pump and waterpump pulley sitting right next to me. $150 shipped buys the three pieces. Im building a new engine. These are off a 91 Camaro that was rebuilt less than 10,0000 miles ago, I am using the short block an have my old serpentine setup. They are in good shape with minor paint bubbling in the crank pulley, Blast and paint they would look new. Overall finish is about a 9 of 10 if 10 is new. Water pump is a newer replacement with little signs of use and spins perfect with no sign of weep. These are as I removed them with no cleanup. Might have been replaced with motor. You will still need a few parts depending on your accessories and how you want to set it up. The Fbody setups are lower profile than the truck. This will get you started cheap. The WP pulley on Ebay run about $100. Water pump pulley # 10055880 Crank Pulley #10055879 AAD

Last edited by 63mako; 03-02-2015 at 02:10 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:59 PM
cooper9811
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 63mako
I have the Camaro firebird Crank, Water pump and waterpump pulley sitting right next to me. $150 shipped buys the three pieces. Im building a new engine. These are off a 91 Camaro that was rebuilt less than 10,0000 miles ago, I am using the short block an have my old serpentine setup. They are in good shape with minor paint bubbling in the crank pulley, Blast and paint they would look new. Overall finish is about a 9 of 10 if 10 is new. Water pump is a newer replacement with little signs of use and spins perfect with no sign of weep. These are as I removed them with no cleanup. Might have been replaced with motor. You will still need a few parts depending on your accessories and how you want to set it up. The Fbody setups are lower profile than the truck. This will get you started cheap. The WP pulley on Ebay run about $100. Water pump pulley # 10055880 Crank Pulley #10055879 AAD

That's a good price with the water pump included. 2 months earlier and I would have jumped on that.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:49 AM
BDoc
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mikep3
I have a March system that I can't get aligned properly and they sold me the wrong Ps pump. After a bunch of calls and emails, I had to put my 78 a way for winter. Hoping they can help me in the spring, but at 1600 dollars I am disappointed.
I was hoping to upgrade to a modern ac pump and CS130 alternator.

I have this same exact kit with the same exact PS pump pictured. What all was wrong with yours? I still haven't installed my belt yet.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:44 PM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BDoc
I have this same exact kit with the same exact PS pump pictured. What all was wrong with yours? I still haven't installed my belt yet.

A. The ps pump pulley was too close to the upper A arm cross shaft. March should have suggested the remote pump style. They have suggested a new belt routing which I will try this spring.
B. The belt is not tracking correctly and it jumps over one rib at the ac pump and eats the belt in 200 miles.
C. I have a dozen emails to March with little to show for it, a dozen phone calls with no resolution.

This spring when the 78 comes out I am going to get it solved with or without March. I like the 105 amp alternator and the modern Saden ac pump, plus it looks good.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:12 PM
76yellow
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by 76yellow
Has any one done ? Costly ?
After reading all the replies, I say NOT !
Old 03-06-2015, 11:06 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

On Ebay. Starting $120 plus shipping. Sitting in my dining room. Wife is not happy. http://www.ebay.com/itm/221709224925?item=221709224925&viewitem=&vxp=mtr
Originally Posted by 63mako

Old 06-19-2015, 08:10 PM
gmachinz
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The GM serpentine swap is definitely worth doing! There are many variations to the kits....always look for the RH bracket w/o smog provision for easier clearance. The guided water pump pulley can be found on TBI 350 RWD Cadillac DeVilles (mid 1990's) as well as the 140A alternator brackets from 9C1 Caprices as well as some TBI 350 Caddy's also. I try to keep a couple of each kit on hand because they move fast! Always use the factory braces where possible and make sure you modify your charging system harness accordingly....I use a 300-ohm resistor and I also add a flyback diode to eliminate any possible ignition run-on condition when using the even more stout CS144 alts. Here's an example of a harness I like to use:
Attached Images  
Old 06-20-2015, 07:40 AM
tektrans
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 220 Posts

Found a pic of the Concept One system I put on my 406.
No AC here but can add later if I choose. Black anodized.

Quick Reply: Serpentine Set Up on a C3