C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 06:40 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by SWO vette
This may be sort of off topic but..... After working on later model vehicles I am finding that my 72 has more room than some of the late models do. Just take your time.
I was thinking the same reading the comments…my 78 L-82 plug changes are easy…compared to other cars and late model ones…piece of cake..either from on top for some or underneath for others. SBC's in C3's are easy..
Old 02-27-2015, 06:41 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Something for me to look into...and hopefully if I install them in a later model Corvette..I am not ripping them out and putting what I know works. I guess I can give it one more try and see how well it works...depending on how the plugs I pull out look. Having a forum member using them with great success is a good sign

DUB
They seem sensitive to changes/damage in gap: don't touch the tiny tips. The YR5IX are pre-set to 0.040 not 0.035 for a points/condensor coil. I'm wondering if 0.040 will work. This is probably much ado about nothing but I am just curious. I can't see bending things down a bit is much of a problem but I am so used to R45TS I do not know. That iridium tip does look fragile but I am willing to give them a try in the spring. But at $9.00 each they are not inexpensive.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:02 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
They seem sensitive to changes/damage in gap: don't touch the tiny tips. The YR5IX are pre-set to 0.040 not 0.035 for a points/condensor coil. I'm wondering if 0.040 will work. This is probably much ado about nothing but I am just curious. I can't see bending things down a bit is much of a problem but I am so used to R45TS I do not know. That iridium tip does look fragile but I am willing to give them a try in the spring. But at $9.00 each they are not inexpensive.
From what I gather...if following the same principle....the new Corvettes are now having their spark plug gap reduced from .060" to .045"...in order to keep the coil packs from failing...so I have been told from a guy I know who tunes them on a chassis dyno.

Cost is what it is. If the plugs are really that good...then why worry about cost. Much like the oil filters that never get thrown away and take something like 17 years to pay off....and some people worry about that....but forget the filter is BETTER and you can see what teh filter is stopping and what the magnets collect in it.

DUB
Old 02-27-2015, 07:22 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DUB
From what I gather...if following the same principle....the new Corvettes are now having their spark plug gap reduced from .060" to .045"...in order to keep the coil packs from failing...so I have been told from a guy I know who tunes them on a chassis dyno.

Cost is what it is. If the plugs are really that good...then why worry about cost. Much like the oil filters that never get thrown away and take something like 17 years to pay off....and some people worry about that....but forget the filter is BETTER and you can see what teh filter is stopping and what the magnets collect in it.

DUB
I am not concerned about cost. I'll give the NGK iridium a try this spring. And I'll leave them at the pre-set 0.040" gap. I don't mind experiments. I think the stock 1974 coil can handle that.

*Edit* - I ordered a set this evening. And yes to the O/P I know how to change spark plugs without losing too much blood. Just kidding....But the two under the A/C compressor can be a pain. I have extensions with u-joints to do the job through the mud flaps with the wheel off.

Last edited by Paul L; 02-27-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:46 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Exactly!

If you have a C3 with A/C, you need to remove the right-front wheel to gain access to those plugs. The trade-off in 'time spent' is well worth it.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:14 AM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

The hi tek plugs, platinum or iridium, have smaller center electrodes, or little points on them. The spark has an easier time forming and can jump a larger gap.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 7t1vette
Exactly!

If you have a c3 with a/c, you need to remove the right-front wheel to gain access to those plugs. The trade-off in 'time spent' is well worth it.
i second that!

Dub
Old 02-28-2015, 07:01 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DUB
i second that!

Dub
The fuel pump is a cute job as well. Loved that one. You can't get at the mount bolts from the top with the A/C compressor.

BTW, Dub. You have a lift. I am crawling around under jack stands with a 60+-year-old back. It really is a treat.

Last edited by Paul L; 02-28-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:22 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mikem350
The hi tek plugs, platinum or iridium, have smaller center electrodes, or little points on them. The spark has an easier time forming and can jump a larger gap.
If they come pre-gapped at 0.040" (as NGK site says) I will leave them alone.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:39 PM
DUB
Race Director

Yes I have a lift....but I do plugs often times like the way you are showing when doing the fuel pump area.. I only put it on a lift if I need to do more work under the car that requires me to get it high off the ground.

Heck..I think I have a ratchet just like what you have there.

DUB
Old 03-01-2015, 07:59 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DUB
Yes I have a lift....but I do plugs often times like the way you are showing when doing the fuel pump area.. I only put it on a lift if I need to do more work under the car that requires me to get it high off the ground.

Heck..I think I have a ratchet just like what you have there.

DUB
Dub,

My Father - God Rest his Soul - was a mechanic (not technician) by training many decades ago. He wound up in the military and moved on to other duties but passed away in 1969. I still have many of his tools. Unlike Chinese versions today they are bullet-proof. You can't break them. This is the extension I used for the fuel pump along with a 7/16" socket I believe. That extension is ~50-years-old.

Love your contributions to the Forum!

Quick Reply: Changing Spark Plugs