C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would a later (70 and up) A/C system fit my 69 C3?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 10:41 AM
Mr. Orange
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Would a later (70 and up) A/C system fit my 69 C3?

And which parts are better to buy new/remanufactured?
Old 02-25-2015, 10:52 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

are you buying a kit or you are trying to get original individual parts which would be difficult?
http://www.classicautoair.com/?q=68_..._Chevy_AC.html

Last edited by MelWff; 02-27-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:02 AM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

depends upon your goal ? look original ? perform Better ?
Old 02-25-2015, 11:13 AM
Mr. Orange
Advanced

Originally Posted by MelWff
are you buying a kit or you are trying to get orignal individual parts which would be difficult?
http://www.classicautoair.com/?q=68_..._Chevy_AC.html
I think I would like to use original parts which I do have a source for but they are in a salvage yard exposed to the elements.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:20 AM
Mr. Orange
Advanced

Originally Posted by 69Vett
depends upon your goal ? look original ? perform Better ?
Look original enough but not NCRS
Old 02-25-2015, 04:03 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

get a later parallel flow condenser (70..?), your system will work better
69 is a single series cooling condenser. and still look stock.
use green orings only, then review which refrigerant to use.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:45 PM
Mr. Orange
Advanced

Originally Posted by 69Vett
get a later parallel flow condenser (70..?), your system will work better
69 is a single series cooling condenser. and still look stock.
use green orings only, then review which refrigerant to use.
Thank you,

Green rings are for 134R? Will the stock compressor work with 134R?

I might have found a 1973 parts car. Will the interior box/ ducts, exterior box, and control panel fit to the original 69 interior?

And it might work better than the 69 full system I also located?
Old 02-25-2015, 10:55 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Any factory system from 69-76 will fit your 69.
I'm installing a system from a 72' into my 69 with some bits from later years as well (IE later evaporator core that uses an accumulator and orifice tube vs the hard to find and expensive POA valves from 69 - 72).

Each year had subtle differences so try to get the electrical and vacuum bits from the same vintage to avoid confusion.
As mentioned above, use a parallel flow condenser and I would also go with a more efficient Sanden type compressor.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:24 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

If you want AC in a stock non-AC C3, I'd suggest you look at a Vintage Air AC unit. It doesn't take up hardly any room in the engine compartment, the main assembly fits behind the passenger's dash panel. It's much more efficient. It uses the stock C3 AC controls in the shifter console. You can buy a nice new AC/Heater control unit for the shifter console for about $150.

My opinion is that unless you want a stock looking AC for you're C3, you'll be much better off with Vintage Air....it will look completely stock from the interior of the driver/passenger compartment. It's only in the engine compartment that it doesn't look stock.

........PS: To restore a factory AC system to like new condition is expensive. Rebuilding the A6 compressor, replacing all the vacuum solenoids and electrical components, a new evaporator and condensor, replacing all the hoses and aluminum tubing, etc. A Vintage Air AC system becomes cost effective.

Last edited by 68/70Vette; 02-25-2015 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:32 AM
Mr. Orange
Advanced

Originally Posted by ezobens
Any factory system from 69-76 will fit your 69.
I'm installing a system from a 72' into my 69 with some bits from later years as well (IE later evaporator core that uses an accumulator and orifice tube vs the hard to find and expensive POA valves from 69 - 72).

Each year had subtle differences so try to get the electrical and vacuum bits from the same vintage to avoid confusion.
As mentioned above, use a parallel flow condenser and I would also go with a more efficient Sanden type compressor.
Spot on answer!

Anyone else doing this? The available parts are easily sourced from later C3's.

What year models had the Evaporator Core with the accumulator and orfice tube?

Sounds like you would use some new components with the old.

Thank you
Old 02-26-2015, 09:42 AM
Mr. Orange
Advanced

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
If you want AC in a stock non-AC C3, I'd suggest you look at a Vintage Air AC unit. It doesn't take up hardly any room in the engine compartment, the main assembly fits behind the passenger's dash panel. It's much more efficient. It uses the stock C3 AC controls in the shifter console. You can buy a nice new AC/Heater control unit for the shifter console for about $150.

My opinion is that unless you want a stock looking AC for you're C3, you'll be much better off with Vintage Air....it will look completely stock from the interior of the driver/passenger compartment. It's only in the engine compartment that it doesn't look stock.

........PS: To restore a factory AC system to like new condition is expensive. Rebuilding the A6 compressor, replacing all the vacuum solenoids and electrical components, a new evaporator and condensor, replacing all the hoses and aluminum tubing, etc. A Vintage Air AC system becomes cost effective.

I think I am looking to use mostly GM components on the interior and firewall.

Will Vintage Air be around in 50 years? Classic Auto Air?

How will my kids get parts when the cars turn 100?

I do really appreciate your answer and reminder for the need to keep costs in check.

How much out the door was your VA or CAA system?
Old 02-26-2015, 10:12 AM
ezobens
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mr. Orange
Spot on answer!

Anyone else doing this? The available parts are easily sourced from later C3's.

What year models had the Evaporator Core with the accumulator and orfice tube?

Sounds like you would use some new components with the old.

Thank you
I was able to buy a complete set-up from another member on the forum (actually, I bought several for spares).
A lot of people out here are ditching the OEM A/C in favor of nothing at all or to install a Vintage air type system. If you're lucky and find someone that removed the OEM stuff without butchering it up, you can get virtually everything for a VERY reasonable cost.
Check out the 'parts for sale' section and don't hesitate to place a 'WTB' thread either.

I believe I ended up using the evaporator from the later years (79-82 ish?) that used the Accumulator vs VIR or POA set-ups. The fiberglass housing on the firewall was virtually unchanged for the entire C3 run so any C3 evaporator will fit any C3 case.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:01 PM
Mr. Orange
Advanced

I was able to buy a complete set-up from another member on the forum (actually, I bought several for spares).
A lot of people out here are ditching the OEM A/C in favor of nothing at all or to install a Vintage air type system. If you're lucky and find someone that removed the OEM stuff without butchering it up, you can get virtually everything for a VERY reasonable cost.
Check out the 'parts for sale' section and don't hesitate to place a 'WTB' thread either.

I believe I ended up using the evaporator from the later years (79-82 ish?) that used the Accumulator vs VIR or POA set-ups. The fiberglass housing on the firewall was virtually unchanged for the entire C3 run so any C3 evaporator will fit any C3 case.
Great, I think I have a shopping list for a 69.

Controller, inside box, ducts with wiring harness and vacuum hoses all from one year between 69-76

Outside box, evaporator, lines, and condenser from a 79-82

New Sanden compressor

Did I leave anything out?
Does anyone disagree?
Old 02-26-2015, 10:45 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Great, I think I have a shopping list for a 69.

Controller, inside box, ducts with wiring harness and vacuum hoses all from one year between 69-76

Outside box, evaporator, lines, and condenser from a 79-82

New Sanden compressor

Did I leave anything out?
Does anyone disagree?
Just to clarify-
The evaporator box in the engine compartment can be from 69-82 but to avoid any potential minor production run changes that may hang you up, I'd just get the whole set-up from the same (year) car.
The evaporator core from any year C3 will fit any year C3 case.
Don't bother with the OEM condenser- Go straight for a parallel flow unit.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:22 PM
Mr. Orange
Advanced

Just to clarify-
The evaporator box in the engine compartment can be from 69-82 but to avoid any potential minor production run changes that may hang you up, I'd just get the whole set-up from the same (year) car.
The evaporator core from any year C3 will fit any year C3 case.
Don't bother with the OEM condenser- Go straight for a parallel flow unit.
Thanks for the help!
Now that I have a plan, I will update with parts cost/ availability.

Is anyone else trying to get AC in an older car without spending a ton of cash?
Old 02-28-2015, 08:37 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Before you make the jump, look at the AIM and what will be required to install the flapper door at the end of the wiper trough, passenger's side. Ditto for the sealing of the driver's side dash and cowl vents.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:44 AM
ezobens
Drifting

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Before you make the jump, look at the AIM and what will be required to install the flapper door at the end of the wiper trough, passenger's side. Ditto for the sealing of the driver's side dash and cowl vents.

While time consuming, it's doable if you're mechanically inclined and have some patience. Having a copy of the AIM is mandatory for this conversion-

Get notified of new replies

To Would a later (70 and up) A/C system fit my 69 C3?

Old 02-28-2015, 05:45 PM
Mr. Orange
Advanced

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
What does the flapper door do?

I know a guy that closed off the rear Astro Ventilation and when he drove his car, the convertible top inflated. I am guessing it was the cowl vent's fault?

Is it bad to seal both cowl vents? I am sure the gaskets were toast 25 years ago.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:05 PM
TX-Techman
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouLd. highly recommend going with Vintage Air. It is very efficient and installs eaily. I replaced the factory ac in my 69 with one in 2008 and it still works well.

That said what would a factory system be worth to you?
Old 02-28-2015, 11:28 PM
ezobens
Drifting

What does the flapper door do?

I know a guy that closed off the rear Astro Ventilation and when he drove his car, the convertible top inflated. I am guessing it was the cowl vent's fault?

Is it bad to seal both cowl vents? I am sure the gaskets were toast 25 years ago.
The plenum flapper controls where the intake air for the system comes from- Either fresh, outside air or recycled air from the cabin.
Some people omit the plenum flapper altogether and run 100% outside air all the time (or seal off the plenum area and do the opposite). It all depends on how critical that feature is to you and how 'original' you want the system functionality to be. To me, it was worth the effort but I'm a stickler for keeping all OEM functionality.

The plenum flapper is unrelated and independent of the rear deck "Astro Ventilation" vents. If I'm not mistaken, cars with factory air have those rear Astro vents permanently sealed (which again is up to you).

Quick Reply: Would a later (70 and up) A/C system fit my 69 C3?