C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 04:41 PM
thegazman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thegazman

Originally Posted by PHIL 68
Is there any way to clean proportioning valve without taking it apart? Phil
Yes. You can unscrew the rear adapter and gain access to the bore. To get the piston out when it is stuck you just about have to take the distribution/proportioning valve off of the frame and remove the piston on the work bench. That's my experience anyway.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:55 PM
Ranger24
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Bleed mine in half an hour with this little tool...oh and wifey pedaling.

It's made by Sneed4speed.
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2015, 07:43 PM
thegazman
Drifting

Default thegazman

Originally Posted by PHIL 68
Is there any way to clean proportioning valve without taking it apart? Phil
Phil..... You could try to flush it with brake fluid, but from my experience with my 1979 I could have never gotten the piston clean enough to slide freely without removing it from the valve. That's just my opinion from how the piston in my valve stuck.

Ken

Last edited by thegazman; 03-02-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:42 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Besides the brake light coming on, what is the tell tell sign that the prop/dist valve is not working as it should? Will it only allow you to bleed the front or the back and not all 4 calipers? In other words, can you determine if the valve is not working correctly during the bleed process and before a test drive?
Thanks,
Old 03-02-2015, 09:55 AM
thegazman
Drifting

Default thegazman

Originally Posted by Rebelrob
Besides the brake light coming on, what is the tell tell sign that the prop/dist valve is not working as it should? Will it only allow you to bleed the front or the back and not all 4 calipers? In other words, can you determine if the valve is not working correctly during the bleed process and before a test drive?
Thanks,
GM says that the light is to tell you when there is a leak in your brake system. After you have corrected the leak I don't know what the consequences of having a stuck piston are. However, for me I want my brakes working well. I don't like driving with that dash light on and unplugging something is not a good option in my opinion. That is why I installed a new valve and flushed my brake system. It was well worth the $100 I spent. Plus, every 3 or 4 years I am going to flush my brake system.

Quick Reply: Brake bleeding