C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another fiber optic question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 06:57 PM
Syl1953
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 182 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Another fiber optic question

Where the FO cable is inserted into the headlight connector, can the cable be inserted further thru the terminal (plug) to get some "new" cable at the end of the bulb? Mine are very grungy and and will not clean up. Tried pushing more in but no success. Is there a way? Thanks
Old 02-26-2015, 01:27 AM
dugsgms74
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

If youre talking about pushing the cable further into the ferrule (metal part) pushed on the end of the cable then I think no. Its a pretty tight fit. If it helps, mine had enough of the cable sticking past the ferrule that I was able to cut the very tips off with a new razor blade to expose a clean end, helped quite a bit.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:59 AM
Syl1953
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 182 Likes on 124 Posts

Thanks, yes that is what I am referring to. Looks like it may of previously been cut shorter already. I need to try to find someway to get it thru further. Put some short pieces, of 1/4 in. Hose over end of bulb not much help.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:11 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Your problem may just be due to loss of clarity of the light transfer areas. The plastic lenses where the F/O cable fits at each light and the ends of the cable, themselves. When the transfer areas get dull (unpolished), light is diffused and shows very faintly in the console lenses. The cable ends need to be very flat and very polished.

You might try using a Dremel and some polishing compound on the plastic lenses where the cables fit at each light (inside and outside). Not sure how to get the (glass strands) F/O cable ends smooth and polished.

Get notified of new replies

To Another fiber optic question

Quick Reply: Another fiber optic question