C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 position brake switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 04:30 PM
slamminsammie
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 position brake switch

I have a question I need help with. I am well into my 1981 resto mod. My drivetrain is a LQ9 motor and a 4l60e transmission. I ran across a part while shopping for drive by wire wiring harness that it appears I need to invest in.
Performance Systems Integration
TCC/BRAKE SWITCH KIT
APPLICATION: GM OVERDRIVE TRANSMISSION RETROFITS

PARTS INCLUDED: TWO POSITION BRAKE SWITCH, PIGTAIL, INSTRUCTIONS

NOTES: This kit is necessary when using any GM overdrive transmission in an older vehicle. Allows for proper function of Torque Converter Lock-Up function.
Is someone willing to educate me on this and how it will work or if it will work with my original break pedal, or will I have to get a brake pedal out of a gen 111 camero 1997 to 2002 and modify to fit?
Someone please help and thanks alot
Old 02-27-2015, 04:42 PM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You already have a brake switch under the dash. If it's only got 2 electrical spades (NO) you'll need a new one. You'll need a 4 connector (NO/NC) one to replace it. An 81 vette brake light switch for a car with cruise control will cost under $5 and be a direct replacement for your existing one.
You'll just need to wire correctly for brakes and ECU for TCC lockup.

Originally Posted by slamminsammie
I have a question I need help with. I am well into my 1981 resto mod. My drivetrain is a LQ9 motor and a 4l60e transmission. I ran across a part while shopping for drive by wire wiring harness that it appears I need to invest in.
Performance Systems Integration
TCC/BRAKE SWITCH KIT
APPLICATION: GM OVERDRIVE TRANSMISSION RETROFITS

PARTS INCLUDED: TWO POSITION BRAKE SWITCH, PIGTAIL, INSTRUCTIONS

NOTES: This kit is necessary when using any GM overdrive transmission in an older vehicle. Allows for proper function of Torque Converter Lock-Up function.
Is someone willing to educate me on this and how it will work or if it will work with my original break pedal, or will I have to get a brake pedal out of a gen 111 camero 1997 to 2002 and modify to fit?
Someone please help and thanks alot

Last edited by Garys 68; 02-27-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:56 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Thanks Gary68......I'm about to do the 700R4 swap/don't want the engine stalling if I have to "hit the brakes hard!".
Old 02-27-2015, 08:49 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Applying the brakes should cause the trans lockup clutch to disconnect. So, you want the brake switch to drop lockup, as well as illuminate the brake lights. The brake lights use the N.C. (normally closed) contacts in a dual-function brake switch; the L/U clutch needs the N.O. (normally open) set. If you have (or add) cruise control on your car, that should also be run through the N.O. set [along with the L/U clutch].

Get notified of new replies

To 2 position brake switch

Quick Reply: 2 position brake switch