C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mechanical vs Electric Fuel Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 09:55 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

Originally Posted by bluedawg
Have you pulled the pump and rod to see if the rod is worn?

DO MA NEU!
Originally Posted by KJL
When I stripped down the engine to send to the builder, I couldn't get the push rod out. As it turns out it was mushroomed on the end and had to be filed down in order to remove. The spring in the fuel pump may be getting tired as well no longer keeping the rod in intimate contact with the cam. I would remove and replace pump and rod if it shows signs or wear.
Thanks Men. I wasn't going to remove it in case I got a "Live with it" reply.....LOL. Now I'll take it out/it's been 30 years since I've owned a car with a mechanical pump/now I remember the rod falling out while trying to install the pump and having to put a gob of grease to hold the rod in place
Old 03-03-2015, 10:37 AM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Avoid the comp cams hollow pushrod(steel tip), had one go south in less than 2k. ARP hollow(steel tip) worked good and I put one of the total composites in last time I had it apart to try, but have yet to put any miles on it.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:16 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

BOOT77.....thanks for the review'good info!

Quick Reply: Mechanical vs Electric Fuel Pump?