C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68' steering column re-assembly

Old 03-05-2015, 06:11 PM
patrick68
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68' steering column re-assembly

I know, I should have taken pictures when I began disassembling The column.

I need help re-assembling this telescoping column. This mess began as I needed to replace the turn signal and cam assembly. It's the locking ring and mechanism that I am having trouble with. I can put it together and it seems correct but the locking ring doesn't do anything. If I remove the "star" bolt and the two flat head screws. I can push the steering wheel in and out.

What am I missing?
Old 03-05-2015, 07:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by patrick68
I know, I should have taken pictures when I began disassembling The column.

I need help re-assembling this telescoping column. This mess began as I needed to replace the turn signal and cam assembly. It's the locking ring and mechanism that I am having trouble with. I can put it together and it seems correct but the locking ring doesn't do anything. If I remove the "star" bolt and the two flat head screws. I can push the steering wheel in and out.

What am I missing?
How far down did you take it when you disassembled it??????? THAT is the million dollar question...AND be VERY SPECIFIC!!!

DUB
Old 03-06-2015, 08:25 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Here is a link to the disassembly and repair paper on the 1967-68 Corvette telescoping steering column.

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=975

Paper #1 on page 5 has a blow up of the steering column. Note that you must have the locking rod #32 and the locking wedge #33. I wonder if you have the locking wedge installed correctly in the slot in the upper steering shaft #30.

The top view in this picture shows the locking wedge (in dotted lines) right above the ID label in its correct orientation.
Jim
Old 03-06-2015, 11:34 AM
patrick68
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DUB
How far down did you take it when you disassembled it??????? THAT is the million dollar question...AND be VERY SPECIFIC!!!

DUB
I only went as far as I needed to get the turn signal switch assembly out.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:37 PM
patrick68
Intermediate

Default Thank you all.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Jim I appreciate your input on this subject. Very helpful information. My marks were not lined up.

I have another question: The horn contact has a "leg" attached to it. Narrow strip of metal with a 90 degree bend at the end? What is it's function
Old 03-07-2015, 05:28 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by patrick68
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Jim I appreciate your input on this subject. Very helpful information. My marks were not lined up.

I have another question: The horn contact has a "leg" attached to it. Narrow strip of metal with a 90 degree bend at the end? What is it's function
To be installed CORRECTLY so it makes contact with the lower horn contact spring loaded part. The part you are referring to can ONLY GO IN ONE WAY and be CORRECT.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 68' steering column re-assembly

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 68' steering column re-assembly