C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spreader bar ordered!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 06:36 PM
Silvertone
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Spreader bar ordered!

OK so I measured 26 1/8" between the shock towers, on the flange where the shims rest. Clearly I'm 1/4" short of the desired mark. No cracks noted. Can I assume this is within range of the spreader bar solution, and would there be any local stress relief benefits to loosening the poly engine mounts during the "spreading"?
Old 03-18-2015, 06:55 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Did you order the SpeedDirect spreader bar whether direct or from Ecklers or other retailer? If so it is not meant to push the towers back to OEM position but to stop them from flexing in. There are a few excellent threads on this bar. I will be installing mine as soon as it warms up. Will taise the wheels up just off the ground install brackets and tighten bar by hand, lower and tighten maybe 1 turn.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...justments.html
The following users liked this post:
Primoz (03-23-2016)
Old 03-18-2015, 07:08 PM
Silvertone
Racer

Thanks, I did read that thread before. It's a Sharkbite aluminum bar. I doubt it will want much preload either.

Steve
Old 03-18-2015, 07:17 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Yup, that's it. Mine is in the garage, when it arrives you'll see what I mean in that it is not meant to move the towers back into their original position if they've fatigued a bit.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:35 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

it just prevents flexing, but they do a fantastic job. you will be pleased.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:01 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

As GDH said, raise the side of the car to take the stess of the control arm.
Remove the nut (13/16" IIRC) put the mount on andr tighten up the nuts just enough to allow final "front/rear adjustment" of the mount.

Bolt in the bar on one side keeping in mind that each bar end should have a similar "range of adjustment" (ie dont bottom out one end of the bar and leave all the adjustment for the other end).

Get both ends mounted and turn the bar by hand until you cannot turn it any further. Slide the control arm mounts back and forth until the fan and shroud clear the bar. You may need a spacer for the mechanical fan (details in the other spreader bar thread). once the bar is aligned correctly tighten down the mounts and give the bar another 1/2 or 3/4 turn (preload). The manufactures instructions should give you an example of reasonable preload. You want it snug, not "pushing out" to attain a desired measurement.

On my '78 (mechanical fan) the control arm nuts were a bear to get tight. Air tools wouldnt fit, I ended up using a ratchet and a swivel and a couple extensions.

In a couple posts I read some people used a beefier bolt for where the bar mounts to the control arm bracket. I used the supplied bolts with no issues. Once it was in and tight I backed off the little nut and added a drop or two of loctite for the h3ll of it. Might not be needed with a nylock nut, but I did it anyway.

good luck.

dodosmike

EDIT: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...clearance.html

Last edited by Dodosmike; 03-19-2015 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:52 PM
Silvertone
Racer

Thank you guys for these answers. Yes I could have waited for the install instructions to arrive with the bar, but the project is a complex series of interwoven systems and it helps me to learn everything as early as possible.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:32 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

I have the instructions in front of me an nowhere do they mention that you should raise the wheels off the ground. Learned that one on this forum - makes sense just not sure why they didn't include that part.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:33 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It was quite a while ago that I installed a spreader bar, but IIRC if the wheel is off the ground the trailing arm mount will work its way off the studs as you loosen the nuts. With weight on the suspension you can loosen the nuts to install the spreader bar without anything moving.

Like I said, it's been a while since I did the install so I could be ***-backwards. I would try loosening the trailing arm nuts with the car sitting on the ground. If the upper control arm bar doesn't move then you are all set. If it does move raise the wheel and see if the upper bar slides back into place.

Rick B.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:16 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 72LS1Vette
It was quite a while ago that I installed a spreader bar, but IIRC if the wheel is off the ground the trailing arm mount will work its way off the studs as you loosen the nuts. With weight on the suspension you can loosen the nuts to install the spreader bar without anything moving.

Like I said, it's been a while since I did the install so I could be ***-backwards. I would try loosening the trailing arm nuts with the car sitting on the ground. If the upper control arm bar doesn't move then you are all set. If it does move raise the wheel and see if the upper bar slides back into place.

Rick B.
Trailing arm? Im not following. Maybe just the terminology.
Control arm maybe? I didn't have any issues with the control arm bushings moving at all.

dodosmike
Old 03-23-2015, 07:33 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodosmike
Trailing arm? Im not following. Maybe just the terminology.
Control arm maybe? I didn't have any issues with the control arm bushings moving at all.

dodosmike
Sorry. Meant to say Control Arm. The control arm shaft will start working it's way off the studs as the nuts are loosened if the car configuration is wrong. It's probably easiest to try loosening the control arm nuts a little while the car is sitting on the ground. If the shaft stays put you can go ahead and remove the nuts. If the shaft stays pressed against the nuts as they are loosened, tighten the nuts up, jack the wheel up and try again. You don't want the shaft loosening up because then alignment shims fall out and that makes a real mess.

See how many times I said control arm?

Rick B.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:48 AM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Spreader bar for the 68 from Dick Guildstrand. Guildstrand's Motor Sports.
The following users liked this post:
willem wallace (03-31-2016)
Old 03-24-2015, 07:25 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

I have had my speedirect spreader bar on my 78 L-82 4speed with Stock mechanical fan for several years now and had to remove and reinstall more than once last Spring 2014 again during the rebuild of the motor. I too have/had no instructions but figured out the best way to get the bar to fit on the initial install was to jack up one side to relieve the tension on the control arm to get the spreader bar in. Besides Poly upper and lower control arm bushings, one of the best and certainly one of the easiest ways to improve the handling, ride, and steering of a C3 for the money…I have Bilstein Hd shocks, the Spreader bar, poly upper and lower control arm bushings, a custom blueprinted/rebuilt OEM Steering box by Gary R, and 255/45/17 ZR tires-holy smokes…completely different feel from the gymkhana OEM front suspension...
Old 03-24-2015, 08:21 PM
Silvertone
Racer

Besides Poly upper and lower control arm bushings, one of the best and certainly one of the easiest ways to improve the handling, ride, and steering of a C3 for the money…I have Bilstein Hd shocks, the Spreader bar, poly upper and lower control arm bushings, a custom blueprinted/rebuilt OEM Steering box by Gary R, and 255/45/17 ZR tires-holy smokes…completely different feel from the gymkhana OEM front suspension...[/QUOTE]

Well thank you....you must be one of the bad influences in CF that have inspired my Spring 2015 selection. I've started taking arrival of the Bilstein HDs, spreader bar, poly sway bar bushings, 245/45/18 Coys with Potenza RE-11s, solid heim camber arms, and 8" rear spring bolts.

Now if it ever quits raining here, I can get some work done!
Old 03-25-2015, 10:10 PM
509 rat
Melting Slicks

Received 593 Likes on 302 Posts

Default spreader bar

so which is the best spreader bar to get, is there a complete bolt in kit, thanks mine a small block.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:35 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Best? Define best. Engineered? Quality? Price? Availability? Ease of installation?

There are a few manufacturers. I bought a speed direct bar, bolt it, spun aluminum, decent mounts. Seems like decent quality to me. Was less than $100. Last summer.

I think most parts retailers carry them.

Dodosmike
Old 03-26-2015, 07:19 AM
silvvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a group purchase going on? I want in on it if so....

Get notified of new replies

To Spreader bar ordered!

Old 03-26-2015, 07:53 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

I don't think that there is much to choose from from either of the 2 main vendors, VB&P or Speed Direct.
http://www.vbandp.com/auto-parts.htm...category_id=47

http://www.speeddirect.com/index.php...3-spreader-bar
Old 03-26-2015, 08:26 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by gdh
I don't think that there is much to choose from from either of the 2 main vendors, VB&P or Speed Direct.
http://www.vbandp.com/auto-parts.htm...category_id=47

http://www.speeddirect.com/index.php...3-spreader-bar
These are the two vendors I am aware of that offer spreaders bars for C3's-I have had both…

The VBP bar is much better suited to C3's WITHOUT the stock mechanical fan-aftermarket electric fans-since the tabs for the control arms have to welded in the correct position by the user, for placement of the actual bar. The VBP bar is much beefier and heavier than the speedirect bar and I could never get mine to fit with the stock mechanical fan with proper clearance between the fan, pulleys, and water pump, plus the additional welding was a going to be a pain. Sold it to a forum member for 50$.

I currently have the speedirect aluminum bar that has pre welded tabs for C3's with mechanical fan. It is a smaller diameter bar and fits perfectly in the tight space…close by no issues in 4 years now and it works great eliminating frame flex. I would highly recommend this spreader bar for C3's with a stock mechanical fan.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:11 AM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
I currently have the speedirect aluminum bar that has pre welded tabs for C3's with mechanical fan. It is a smaller diameter bar and fits perfectly in the tight space…close by no issues in 4 years now and it works great eliminating frame flex. I would highly recommend this spreader bar for C3's with a stock mechanical fan.
Same for me, the SD bar has 1/4" to 1/8" between the mechanical fan blade and the shroud on my '78. 100% bolt in, no welding.

dodosmike

Quick Reply: Spreader bar ordered!