C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A hitting hard damn noise coming out right from the intake area...Help needed please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 04:52 AM
panic
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Cavu2u
What type rocker arms do you have in there? Stock, roller type?
Yep but I've checked the valve train a hundred times, all semms nice, clean and tight.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:00 AM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by panic
Yep but I've checked the valve train a hundred times, all seems nice, clean and tight.
Pushrods and cam followers too?
Old 03-27-2015, 09:22 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

I have to agree with it sounding like a cam lobe has gone flat. Remove the valve covers, disable the ignition, and watch all the rocker arms move as the engine is turning over. A flat cam lobe will be very obvious as the rocker will not move as much as the others. Been there, done that.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:57 AM
Hofs01
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
I have to agree with it sounding like a cam lobe has gone flat. Remove the valve covers, disable the ignition, and watch all the rocker arms move as the engine is turning over. A flat cam lobe will be very obvious as the rocker will not move as much as the others. Been there, done that.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:16 AM
panic
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 7t2vette

Remove the valve covers, disable the ignition, and watch all the rocker arms move as the engine is turning over. A flat cam lobe will be very obvious as the rocker will not move as much as the others. Been there, done that.
It sounds likely, if I understood properly then a flat cam lobe would make the valve to be at the wrong position when the combustión happens and instead of going through the exhaust it would get back to the intake?
Old 03-27-2015, 11:26 AM
Hofs01
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds likely, if I understood properly then a flat cam lobe would make the valve to be at the wrong position when the combustión happens and instead of going through the exhaust it would get back to the intake?
A flat Exhaust lobe could cause the valve to not open at all. Then once the intake valve comes open, that compression and burnt fuel in the cylinder ends up in the intake causing the "pop" and then messing with your air fuel ratio for the other cylinders.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:42 AM
panic
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hofs01
A flat Exhaust lobe could cause the valve to not open at all. Then once the intake valve comes open, that compression and burnt fuel in the cylinder ends up in the intake causing the "pop" and then messing with your air fuel ratio for the other cylinders.
I'll check that this afternoon...thanks a lot!
Old 03-27-2015, 01:06 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Default Just Curious

Is there enough room up front to remove & replace a cam with the engine in the car (350 or 454)?
Old 03-27-2015, 01:32 PM
mysixtynine
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds like a wiped exhaust lobe to me as well...

stick a straight pin into all 8 distributor boots at the cap (deep enough to hit the wire core) and then take a multi meter lead and clip one end to the carburetor stud. then start the engine and touch the meter lead to each pin (hold the meter lead with an insulated tool) one at a time and rev the engine for each pin to see if its gone. You need to short the wires to ground NOT leave them open. If one pin makes it stop you have your bad cylinder location.

Also:
I also wonder if it could be "cross fire" in the distributor cap or between wires or a malfunctioning IGN module (not sure of what ignition u have)? Just a thought.

Do you have one of those correct a caps on their... i can just barely see your cap in the videos?

Last edited by mysixtynine; 03-27-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:32 PM
Amorget
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cavu2u
Is there enough room up front to remove & replace a cam with the engine in the car (350 or 454)?
I replaced the cam in my 81 w/ a 350 with the engine in the car. Removed the hood, radiator and radiator support and it had plenty of room.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:39 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

When I adjusted the valve lash found one arm slightly worn out so I changed all of them.

I supposed that for this kind of (race) engines with about 10.000 miles on the clock and never rebuilt a worn arm was nothing to worry about...
Need to figure out why that one rocker was worn. My bet is that it was an exhaust rocker on the cylinder causing the intake backfire and it was worn due to a bad lobe. Do you have a flat tappet cam or roller cam? If you have a flat tappet time to go roller. If it is a solid roller it likely had a lifter wheel failure and took the cam lobe out.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:20 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Amorget
I replaced the cam in my 81 w/ a 350 with the engine in the car. Removed the hood, radiator and radiator support and it had plenty of room.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:21 PM
roscobbc
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Can't open vid to listen - I had an unexplained noise on my BB - sounded like it was coming from lifter area - stripped top end and re-set everything several times - lifters, cam, pushrods, rockers & springs all OK - engine still performed well! The problem with ally headed engines I think is that noise tranferrence makes it difficult to pin down the source of these sort of noises. My problem - no. 1 big end shell had spun and broken up. No-one who listened to the noise had the slightest clue it was a big end - the noise appeared to come from far 'higher' in the engine - fooling many 'experts'
Old 03-27-2015, 04:05 PM
panic
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 63mako
Need to figure out why that one rocker was worn. My bet is that it was an exhaust rocker on the cylinder causing the intake backfire and it was worn due to a bad lobe. Do you have a flat tappet cam or roller cam? If you have a flat tappet time to go roller. If it is a solid roller it likely had a lifter wheel failure and took the cam lobe out.
I found out the problem.

A (roller) cam lobe worn out...

I've already asked one to the engine builder (American Speed of Ill), but I guess I should get some other hardware to top up the new assembling and have , for example I've found out that the pusher of the rocker shaft has a very small excursion hence I guess it's worn out too...
Old 03-28-2015, 02:11 AM
Postal123
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you found your problem. I guess it could have been worse...? Good luck getting back up and running!
Old 03-28-2015, 02:33 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

I found out the problem.

I've already asked one to the engine builder (American Speed of Ill), but I guess I should get some other hardware to top up the new assembling and have , for example I've found out that the pusher of the rocker shaft has a very small excursion hence I guess it's worn out too...
Thanks for the timely update......I'm glad you don't have to gut the engine!
Old 03-28-2015, 05:32 AM
panic
Team Owner

I still have a doubt, should I gut the engine looking for small particles of steel spread around from the worn out lobe?

I've changed the oil and checked if any trace of small bits of steel was by the oil cap, there was none, and the change was done about a week after I started to have the issue...

Get notified of new replies

To A hitting hard damn noise coming out right from the intake area...Help needed please.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:05 AM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

I still have a doubt, should I gut the engine looking for small particles of steel spread around from the worn out lobe?

I've changed the oil and checked if any trace of small bits of steel was by the oil cap, there was none, and the change was done about a week after I started to have the issue...
Panic,

There is such a thing as an Oil Filter Cutter, with which an oil filter can be opened up and the filter element removed, spread out, and inspected for metal particles. In your case, a good idea.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/80532...FRSIfgodbb8A0Q

Also, there are companies out there that do chemical analysis of oil samples. They show if any excessive amounts of specific metals are present, which also helps to determine which component and how much wear was going on in the engine.

Maybe you did already, but what really needs to be done is determine the height of that cam lobe the worn cam lifter was riding on. A precision Dial Gauge that measures the height, and along with a Degree Wheel, the duration of a cam lobe, will make the decision to replace or not to replace your cam. Or, if you can just visually see the lobe not raising the lifter/pushrod up as much as the others (), just go ahead and replace the cam and be done with it.

Good luck.
Steve
Old 03-28-2015, 11:17 AM
forman
Drifting

Received 284 Likes on 216 Posts

When I adjusted the valve lash found one arm slightly worn out so I changed all of them.

I supposed that for this kind of (race) engines with about 10.000 miles on the clock and never rebuilt a worn arm was nothing to worry about...

ok this will sound far fetched but it sounds to me (sounds) like you broke the spring or arm on your carb <<< the sound does no seem too deep in the motor ,,, its sounds right on top <<<< i would inspect the bottom part of the carb,, check the flaps it sounds like its flapping in the wind with the flow of the motor ,,, Im also 4000 miles away from you but I thought I would give it a whirl ,,, have you looked down the carb
Old 03-28-2015, 11:33 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I found out the problem.

How does the lifter wheel look? I would swap out the lifters, cam, pushrods, rockers, springs. A 570 HP 406 that sees High RPM and racing use with 10,000 miles on it is due. Cost of over 1.4 HP per CI. and driving it like you want. Hope your oil filter bypass was blocked. If not your bearings are likely trashed.

Quick Reply: A hitting hard damn noise coming out right from the intake area...Help needed please.