C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Straub Tech BBC HYD roller idling....

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 01:41 AM
Z06FEVER
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Here is the #963 intake

Definitely not good for HP... The #163 was a much better intake. Ofcourse the L88/ZL1 was probably the best factory intakes.

We were doing the stock/restoration thing so...Its what I was stuck with, just like stuck with the stock exhaust manifolds.
Well your engine sounds very good and hope it runs well. That picture of the intake is what I was thinking which is a power robber, but with doing a numbers intake, I understand you need that specific one. My L88/ZL1 intake has the divider partially machined and I am running staggered jetting. My engine runs really well and has absolutely no flat spots. I think it runs better now going from the square jetting to staggered as how GM had it on that intake. I did increase the jet sizes up 2 sizes from factory and it seems to really like it.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:43 AM
Z06FEVER
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by forvicjr
I want to change cams in my BB, 496 with 781 heads and big tube full lenth headers. Wonder if this would be a good choice? Runnin a comp magnum roller now, smallish at 510 lift. Idles like a caddy and drives me nuts. I want some decent idle and more hp too! Where do I place my order?? Lol
Yes, call and ask for Chris. He is very knowledgeable and will provide you specific recommendations on your application. You will be very happy with his product. I have run Crane,Comp and some smaller companies and Straub by far has the best products.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:30 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by learje
Great to see another baby rat w a Straub roller! sounds great! (and familiar). mine, w an airgap and headers pulls hard from 2500or so as far as ive been brave enough to rev it...about 6500. seems like it would keep on goin. lookin fwd to your testing and tuning, ive still got a bunch to finish on mine when im done w the TA replacement.

forvicjr call Mr Straub, he will set you up, and he is always there to help
Man I WISH I could have put an RPM air gap, 750 DP and headers on this thing, I am sure it would break 500-525hp with stock heads. The bottom end of this motor is SOLID... It's just choked up from a crappy intake, crappy closed chamber heads with huge valves and stock manifolds..

Between the headers/intake I bet we are giving up 50hp...

It did win two trophies at an all corvette show today. President's Choice and Class Winner. My dad was real proud of it.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:16 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Finally got our exhaust system built and uncorked the 396.
Stock Vette manifolds feeding 2.5" mandrel bent head pipes, going to 3.5" (2.5" ID) Classic Chambered side pipes, stock 2.75" stainless tips..

Sounds much better letting it breathe..

Straub Tech HYD roller, 237/245*, .620/.556 Lift, 109 lsa. Pulls clean to 6600...

1965 Corvette 396/425hp (Straub roller/classic chambered pipes) - YouTube
Very nice, such a good looking corvette AJ.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:05 PM
Chambered
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 84 Posts

Alan, this sounds great. I had to look up & see if you got the full-boogie chambered or the VettePacks. Beautiful.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:59 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Chambered
Alan, this sounds great. I had to look up & see if you got the full-boogie chambered or the VettePacks. Beautiful.
Hey Eric, yeah I just used the regular 3.5" chambered pipes... They sounded closer to the original GM pipe sound to me then the VettePacks did...I liked the sound better.

I will say we had hell stuffing those 3.5" pipes up in the stock covers without spacing them.. VERY close to the frame...Actually touched the frame in some spots and we had to tweak it until it cleared.

2.5" stainless, mandrel bends we sectioned together for head pipes

Old 03-30-2015, 12:26 AM
Bad Bird
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Absolutely exceptional execution.

I am planning on running 3.5" OD Vettepacks on my '69, but I'll have to make some spacers to make it happen unfortunately.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:36 PM
Chambered
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 84 Posts

Alan - VERY NICE! I've never had anybody with a C-3 fit the 3.5" OD mufflers under the covers. Close but no problem on a C-2 - most of the ones people order are 3.5" bodies with 2.5" cores.

Quick Reply: Straub Tech BBC HYD roller idling....