C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Light Bulbs

Old 03-26-2015, 12:02 PM
rollinspro
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Light Bulbs

I have a sweet 1980 coupe that I've completely restored - the one thing I'm still not thrilled about is the brightness level of the dash lights.
Does anyone know if there's a conversion kit or LED bulbs that can replace all of the dash bulbs to get a lot brighter dash look?
Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2015, 07:13 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

SUPER BRIGHT LED's And your bulbs are originally a 194....but I would not do the turn signal indicators....leave them alone....just worry about your gauge lights.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...1-412--142375/

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Primoz (05-23-2018)
Old 03-26-2015, 07:17 PM
rollinspro
Heel & Toe

Wow - great website!
thank you for the info!!
Old 03-27-2015, 12:30 AM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

All the center console lights in my 68 are LED's, also all the lights in the shift console are LED's. The lamps in the speedo and tach are still incandescent. This means I can dim the speedo and tach lights with the headlight switch reostat. The main reason for using LED's was to reduce current flow through the headlight switch reostat and prevent it from overheating and destroying itself, as the stock reostat did. Installing them in myy 70. My 08 has a lot of interior and external LED's.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:09 AM
rollinspro
Heel & Toe

Default Dash Lights

Sweet - Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
All the center console lights in my 68 are LED's, also all the lights in the shift console are LED's. The lamps in the speedo and tach are still incandescent. This means I can dim the speedo and tach lights with the headlight switch reostat. The main reason for using LED's was to reduce current flow through the headlight switch reostat and prevent it from overheating and destroying itself, as the stock reostat did. Installing them in myy 70. My 08 has a lot of interior and external LED's.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:59 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Here`s a pic I copied... posted by a member who put LEDs in, and got this shot to show the difference it made.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:04 PM
rollinspro
Heel & Toe

That's incredible! I just ordered a bunch of the super bright LED bulbs - I'll be installing those soon - Thanks for the pics!!

Originally Posted by oldgto

Here`s a pic I copied... posted by a member who put LEDs in, and got this shot to show the difference it made.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:29 PM
TX-Techman
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, this is the pic of my 69 I made to show the difference.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:05 PM
DUB
Race Director

The next one I do...I am going to 'play around' with the thought I have had on using red LED light bulbs. This way...when I test it out in my shop when it is totally dark...like at night time...will it aid in not effecting a persons night vision....because many of the Corvettes I have done with the white LEDs...are DEFINITELY brighter...and ALMOST bordering on a bit too bright for my personal taste. YES...I know they can be modified to be dimmed.

I have some old gauges and I might actually paint the light blue parts of the gauge to a red and see what that does...so I can still use the white LED's. Like I wrote...something I have had 'bouncing around' in my head for some time now. If I get it 'figured out'....I actually was thinking that when I restore/repaint a Corvette ....DEPENDING on the COLOR of the exterior/interior...I would modify the gauges to the back lighting matches the car in some way. Just so it has that 'custom touch' and not be too gaudy. Because many of the Corvettes I do....the owners are NOT worried about being factory PURE.

DUB
Old 03-28-2015, 06:58 PM
R6n350GT
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I need to update this as few things have changed

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...guide-diy.html

but do not replace any of the bulbs that are for warning lights like seat belt, high beam ect. I noticed with the batter / alternator light that with a SMD installed it would not complete the circuit and the battery would not charge... was strange.. put in old bulb and it was fine again. So just replace the illumination lights.

that light website is good but so $$ and i found a good quality bulb from these guys

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251370483066?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
YITA Motor

Reverse lights
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251539164107?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Lessons learnt.
dont use SMDs for indicators as they dont flash and you will need flasher box and they were not that much brighter than stock

dont use SMDs for battery light

I havnt dont the speedo yet but the centre dash is 100 % better and dims
Old 03-28-2015, 07:07 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by TX-Techman
Yes, this is the pic of my 69 I made to show the difference.
Thanks TX! That pic has been an inspiration to many of us! (And I`ve re-posted it a few times!)
Originally Posted by DUB
The next one I do...I am going to 'play around' with the thought I have had on using red LED light bulbs.
DUB, I want to see some pics of the red.... that may be a very interesting option to explore!
Old 03-28-2015, 08:22 PM
Kris Tunetso
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

DUB, I want to see some pics of the red.... that may be a very interesting option to explore!
Not the best pic, but here's Red LEDs via our favorite Doorgunner
Old 03-29-2015, 12:15 AM
LT1M21Vette
Pro

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
....but I would not do the turn signal indicators....leave them alone

And why would you do that?
Old 03-29-2015, 07:18 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mtl-Marc
And why would you do that?
They are bright enough in my opinion....and they are not on like dash lights....so WHY spend the money on them...and I have not installed them ad see if they effect the flashing of the turn signals themselves.

DUB
Old 03-29-2015, 07:43 PM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I did it the other way-around. Left the incadescent bulbs in for the insturments as i like to use the dash dimmer feature and changed all other bulbs to LED.

Changing the turn signal indicators to LED was part of changing the entire signal system to LED including front side running lights.

be mentally prepared for corvette zen... those wimpy little dash bulb sockets are a pain in the asz to deal with.

Originally Posted by DUB
SUPER BRIGHT LED's And your bulbs are originally a 194....but I would not do the turn signal indicators....leave them alone....just worry about your gauge lights.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...1-412--142375/

DUB

Old 03-29-2015, 11:03 PM
TX-Techman
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks TX! That pic has been an inspiration to many of us! (And I`ve re-posted it a few times!)

Glad to know that helped a few folks out. As for the turn signal indicators, I have LED in mine and they work fine and I have not installed an funky resistors are anything anywhere. The only standard bulb in my dash is the seatbelt indicator and only because it is a different bulb and I didn't have one when I had it apart.

I thought about red as well but many of the LEDs have an orange hue, so I opted for the more original look. I have a heavy duty flasher and I do get a little flicker when the door open buzzer is on which is not a problem for me, I just wanted to see the gauges :-)

BTW, I think I spent around $20 for all of the LEDs and they have been for over a year now.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:16 AM
Grant Hollier
Heel & Toe

Default Dash Bulbs

How many 194s would I need to just change the bulbs behind the Speedometer and Tachometer areas? I just want to be able to see how fast im going at night. Does anyone have a diagram of this or a good picture?

Get notified of new replies

To Dash Light Bulbs

Old 05-22-2018, 03:25 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Does this help?

Never mind, I don't have a picture for an '80

Last edited by Peterbuilt; 05-22-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:50 PM
DB Cooper
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant Hollier
How many 194s would I need to just change the bulbs behind the Speedometer and Tachometer areas? I just want to be able to see how fast im going at night. Does anyone have a diagram of this or a good picture?

I'm pretty sure there are a total of 8 bulbs for the speedo/tach backlight.

Last edited by DB Cooper; 05-22-2018 at 03:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Hellah fresh (03-17-2024)
Old 05-22-2018, 11:14 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
The next one I do...I am going to 'play around' with the thought I have had on using red LED light bulbs. This way...when I test it out in my shop when it is totally dark...like at night time...will it aid in not effecting a persons night vision....because many of the Corvettes I have done with the white LEDs...are DEFINITELY brighter...and ALMOST bordering on a bit too bright for my personal taste. YES...I know they can be modified to be dimmed.

I have some old gauges and I might actually paint the light blue parts of the gauge to a red and see what that does...so I can still use the white LED's. Like I wrote...something I have had 'bouncing around' in my head for some time now. If I get it 'figured out'....I actually was thinking that when I restore/repaint a Corvette ....DEPENDING on the COLOR of the exterior/interior...I would modify the gauges to the back lighting matches the car in some way. Just so it has that 'custom touch' and not be too gaudy. Because many of the Corvettes I do....the owners are NOT worried about being factory PURE.

DUB
I painted the light blue reflecting surfaces on the speedo, tach and center cluster on my 69 and love it.
Did the same thing on the gauges of my W-30 years ago.
I prefer the red glow over the white and it’s much easier on the eyes.
I kept the incandescent bulbs though as they are plenty bright for me.
Now my dash looks like my BMW’s at night.

Last edited by ezobens; 05-22-2018 at 11:15 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dash Light Bulbs