C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for MSD Ignition Box Location Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 11:30 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by keithinspace
I have also fashioned a nice mount for behind the passenger-side fender. I need to do something more scientific with the wires. The bracket for the coil has worked well. The next iteration of that will be a little stiffer.

Why that type of coil over traditional coil?
Old 03-30-2015, 11:47 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm running an MSD Blaster SS coil.

Doubles the peak current at a slightly lower peak voltage. It's a "race" coil versus a "stock replacement" coil.

I'm not sure you'd notice a seat-of-the-pants difference, but throughout my build, I've tended to go with the "a little better than stock without being stupid" flavor of parts. The price difference was marginal given the cost of the complete system.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:50 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

I'm running an MSD Blaster SS coil.

Doubles the peak current at a slightly lower peak voltage. It's a "race" coil versus a "stock replacement" coil.

I'm not sure you'd notice a seat-of-the-pants difference, but throughout my build, I've tended to go with the "a little better than stock without being stupid" flavor of parts. The price difference was marginal given the cost of the complete system.
Nice, wish I had none that before I purchased the Blaster 2 coil.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:04 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Don't feel bad. Like I said, it is probably unlikely anyone would notice a difference in normal situations.

My particular engine is a 10.5:1 pump-gas solid-roller 350. I'm running lots of lift and lots of duration. I wanted to have as much control as possible of my spark, hence the slight overkill in the ignition department.

If my goal was to have a more "normal" engine, I probably would have been just as well with more normal ignition components.

Even if you have a mild build on your engine, the coil you have will kick butt. It would probably be fine on mine, but like I said...I try to dip at least one toe in the "silly" department with my purchases and upgrades.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:19 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Don't feel bad. Like I said, it is probably unlikely anyone would notice a difference in normal situations.

My particular engine is a 10.5:1 pump-gas solid-roller 350. I'm running lots of lift and lots of duration. I wanted to have as much control as possible of my spark, hence the slight overkill in the ignition department.

If my goal was to have a more "normal" engine, I probably would have been just as well with more normal ignition components.

Even if you have a mild build on your engine, the coil you have will kick butt. It would probably be fine on mine, but like I said...I try to dip at least one toe in the "silly" department with my purchases and upgrades.
My engine is a bit over the top. It was engined dyno'd using a blaster coil. I will do a little research and see if upgrading would be worth it. I can still return/exchange it.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:04 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

while many people claim a stock hei is enough, I've had more than one experience with engines over 10-1 compression that was helped by upgrading to an MSD or Crane ignition box.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:06 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
...helped by upgrading...
Folks who know these systems inside and out will SWEAR that a WELL ADJUSTED stock system (HEI or even points) will perform just fine and that there is no benefit.

I don't necessarilly disagree, but I have three strong feelings on the issue:

1) I'm not THAT good, so having a system that I KNOW what it's doing out of the box is great.

2) What is well adjusted NOW can become poorly adjusted LATER. When you're closer to the 'edge' with an engine build, that change in adjustment (with a points system) can lead to catastrophic problems.

3) With a stock HEI system (TI or later electronic system), you don't have that neat little manual with the blue, silver, and black springs or the little colored shims to allow you to adjust EXACTLY what you need into the curve. Just as with #2, when you're closer to the 'edge' with an engine build, having that FACTUAL (not trial-and-error) adjustment is key.

It isn't about gaining power. It's about being able to quickly and reliably establish the proper timing curve specific to an aggressive engine which is less tolerant to incorrect timing conditions.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:23 AM
zuendler
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

I work in the electronics industry since 15 years, and I never thought that a MSD would make a feelable difference to the TI system I have in my C3.

But as many others stated now I made the same experiences: throttle response and seat of the pants has noticeable improved! But top end power feels the same as before.
After investigation I found out, that the reason for this is, that a stronger spark is able to ignite also very lean and very rich AFRs. During acceleration you might have both conditions.
4 days ago I talked to a german manufacturer of a very similar product, he told me exactly the same. Btw: his box produces a double spark up to 10,000rpm, his main customers are driving porsches. While the MSD has 2ms gap between the sparks, this box has only 0,5ms that´s why they can provide multiple spark up to 10,000rpm.

Did you know that the capacitive discharge was already introduced in the automotive industry in the early 60s? It came with the first wankel engines, they requiered the stronger spark because of their very bad combustion chamber design.
So MSD has not invented this. The multiple spark maybe, but not the cpacitive discharge.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:05 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Not pushing MSD, or even an aftermarket system. I completely agree with the assessment that an ignition system doesn't "add power". All it does is provide a greater degree of control.

On a large-overlap cam, the "multiple spark" idea helps get rid of some of the unburned fuel smell.

Quick Reply: Looking for MSD Ignition Box Location Recommendations