C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for MSD Ignition Box Location Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 08:16 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Looking for MSD Ignition Box Location Recommendations

Just purchased the MSD-6AL programmable ignition. Wondering where a good location would be to mount it. Not a lot of room in the engine compartment. I will need to be able to access the serial port on it from time to time.

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:37 AM
DABall
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I did the same thing a couple years ago on my 70 and mounted the unit on the passenger side floor up under the glove box. Easy access and it doesn't really show unless you look up under the dash. I was concerned about the heat in the engine compartment.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:41 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DABall
I did the same thing a couple years ago on my 70 and mounted the unit on the passenger side floor up under the glove box. Easy access and it doesn't really show unless you look up under the dash. I was concerned about the heat in the engine compartment.
I am leaning in that direction. Getting the battery power and ground wires will be easier there as well. Is the provided harness long enough to reach the coil and distributor?
Old 03-27-2015, 08:44 AM
DABall
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes it is.........
Old 03-27-2015, 09:53 AM
rays699
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KJL
Just purchased the MSD-6AL programmable ignition. Wondering where a good location would be to mount it. Not a lot of room in the engine compartment. I will need to be able to access the serial port on it from time to time.

Thanks.
I put me in the inner right side fender by the side louver for air!!
Old 03-27-2015, 12:13 PM
SWO vette
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rays699
Old 03-27-2015, 02:26 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Inside behind passenger side dash. It's hidden but accessible, and doesn't get as hot under the hood.

Last edited by Corey_68; 03-27-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:31 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by rays699
That is I have mine. If I need to gain access I only need to remove 3 screws and pull the louver out. It is also away from heat and has air flow past it.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:54 PM
donyue
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KJL

Thanks.
I put mine in wiper box on the passenger side. You can't see it with the hood closed, and it is isolated from the engine compartment heat. Plus I can still get access to it fairly easily to adjust the rev limiter if needed.

It's mounted high enough to avoid water from the wipers. But I don't normally drive it in the rain anyway.

If it ever gets to be a problem with water from the wipers then I will purchase the marine version of the MSD box which is weather sealed and that should solve any further problems.

Hope that helps...
Old 03-27-2015, 09:18 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by KJL

Thanks.
This is my location

This is where I mounted the coil.

I also have a cable connected to the serial port which is routed to the glove box. To make adjustments I just open the glove box and connect to my PC. Perfect for when I am at the track and what to make changes for testing.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:44 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Corey_68
Inside behind passenger side dash. It's hidden but accessible, and doesn't get as hot under the hood.
X2.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:59 PM
Scarlett-73
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 107 Posts

I put mine in the storage bin behind the passengers seat. Mounted on the back wall so you have access and can still put the jack in there.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:06 AM
Jamess411
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

currently mine is in the wiper area being that I have no wipers but thinking about moving it down under the drivers inner fender being that is the only place open I have left.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:29 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Back side of passenger fender:

No heat issues at all. Been here for 14k miles.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:32 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Back side of passenger fender:

No heat issues at all. Been here for 14k miles.
I noticed in your posting and in one of the earlier postings a capacitor looking thing mounted next to the box, what is that? I don't see that in any of the install instructions. I will also need to find a place for the coil. My intake is plastic and afraid the engine vibrations will eventually cause fatigue cracks at the mounting boss.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:52 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Yes the capacitor is strictly to clean up radio noise. I have a pretty good system in my car and started getting noise from the MSD box. I have a capacitor on the MSD box, one on the alternator and the stereo power wires both have one.. No more radio noise.

Certainly nothing you have to have. It is good for the MSD box as well go help prevent spikes to it. The capacitor comes from MSD.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:57 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

I mounted mine (on my 79) on the inside of the passenger side wheelwell in the general area of the air conditioning compressor.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for MSD Ignition Box Location Recommendations

Old 03-30-2015, 09:56 AM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Not much room in the engine compartment is right. Spent a week contemplating the alternative locations (i like the storage compartment behind the passenger seat idea) and went with the wiper well.

Btw - had to drive in a heavy rain once with no ill effects to the MSD being in the wiper well.

Originally Posted by KJL

Thanks.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:01 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Carl in LA
Not much room in the engine compartment is right. Spent a week contemplating the alternative locations (i like the storage compartment behind the passenger seat idea) and went with the wiper well.

Btw - had to drive in a heavy rain once with no ill effects to the MSD being in the wiper well.

No accessible wiper well on a 72. Like the passenger side area under dash option. Will consider storage behind passenger seat but if coil and distributor wire harness are long enough to reach from under dash location, that is where I think I will mount it.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:25 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

I have also fashioned a nice mount for behind the passenger-side fender. I need to do something more scientific with the wires. The bracket for the coil has worked well. The next iteration of that will be a little stiffer.

Quick Reply: Looking for MSD Ignition Box Location Recommendations