C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 Tacho cable quesstions

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 03:58 AM
Cairns-convert
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68 Tacho cable quesstions

Hi guys,
Got a SB 68 and having a few tacho issues.
When I got the car the tacho was not working, previous owner had installed a disti without the mechanical tech drive.

Recently I picked up a HEI with the mechanical tach drive, the aim was to swap and connect up the mech.

Turns out that.
1. the cable is broken, so will need a new tach cable.
2. the HEI has a square hole for the tacho cable, where as the cable on the car is a round keyed. (I didn't check this prior to ordering).

Haven't gotten around to removing the whole cable yet, was a plan for another day.

Questions for everyone.
What is the shape of the tacho cable that runs into the back of the tacho in the dash? Is it square or keyed?

Just trying to figure out since I need to replace the cable, can I get one that will fit the HEI, or do I just send the HEI back and go to plan B?

Help suggestions appreciated.
Cheers
Old 03-28-2015, 08:37 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Cairns-convert
Hi guys,
Got a SB 68 and having a few tacho issues.
When I got the car the tacho was not working, previous owner had installed a disti without the mechanical tech drive.

Recently I picked up a HEI with the mechanical tach drive, the aim was to swap and connect up the mech.

Turns out that.
1. the cable is broken, so will need a new tach cable.
2. the HEI has a square hole for the tacho cable, where as the cable on the car is a round keyed. (I didn't check this prior to ordering).

Haven't gotten around to removing the whole cable yet, was a plan for another day.

Questions for everyone.
What is the shape of the tacho cable that runs into the back of the tacho in the dash? Is it square or keyed?

Just trying to figure out since I need to replace the cable, can I get one that will fit the HEI, or do I just send the HEI back and go to plan B?

Help suggestions appreciated.
Cheers
The tach cable should be squared on the end that goes into the distributor. If it is round the tip is probably broken off.

We just installed the HEI tach drive distributor in our shop, once you have the distributor in place and aside from running a direct 12 volt switched power source, it's plug and play.

On all 68 cars, power to the coil runs through the porcelain resistor on the firewall (unlike 69 and newer cars) So for 68 you want to jumper power from the voltage input side of the porcelain resistor. Do not use the existing wire from the resistor to the coil! On 69 and newer cars you'd want to jumper power from the fuse panel.

68 drops the ignition voltage through the resistor, 69 and new drops it through the resistance wire... but the coil on the hei requires a sold 12 volts when running.

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 03-28-2015 at 08:41 AM.

Quick Reply: 68 Tacho cable quesstions