C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Ajar Switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 05:28 PM
blue by you
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Door Ajar Switch

can anybody tell me how to remove the switch. I know I have to take off the access plate in the wheel well, I unscrewed the switch but it does not come out .It's a 71 coupe
Old 03-31-2015, 05:40 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi BBY,
The switch's body is threaded and supposed to unscrew from the threaded plate that riveted to the lock pillar.
Regards,
Alan

Old 04-02-2015, 08:14 AM
blue by you
Burning Brakes

Alan, I did that but it seems to be stuck, you can feel it pull like it is spring loaded, I know there is a spring inside the switch. I guess I just pull it out.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:22 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi bby,
There needs to be enough slack in the wiring for the switch to pull out a few inches.
Is the interior quarter trim in place? If not you can look through the grommet hole in the lock pillar to see if the wiring is stopping the switch from exposing itself.
Regards,
Alan

This is the right side. There's a similar grommet on the left side.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:20 AM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

I think I know exactly whats happening as I just replace my door ajar switch (1970). I think the spring feeling you notice is the ends of the wire harness. My wiring harness would not let me pull the switch out completely because the wires were short.

Do you have a new switch in your hand? If not you need to get one so you can understand exactly how they work and how the wires connect.

I was still able the replace the switch by removing the wheel well inspection plate and reaching my fingers in. The hardest part was figuring out how the wires attached because I could not see them. If you look at the base of the switch from the out side you will see two small metal points sticking through the plastic base. Those are the ends of the wire connections. Just take a small screwdriver and push them flush with the base and the wires will release.

Once you have the switch out you'll see it's all really simple, but if your wire harness is short like mine it's difficult to figure out what's happening because you can't pull the switch out far enough to see the back side.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:29 AM
blue by you
Burning Brakes

ok thanks, I'll take another look at
Old 04-02-2015, 07:16 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Not my picture, I stole it off the interwebs... I think it's one of Alan's.... anyhoo...

The wires connect into the back of the two silver prongs. The prongs plug into the back of the plastic on the switch and the tips barely stick through the far side. When the door is open the metal tips touch the metal nut and complete the circuit.

This is all very easy to see if your switch comes out far enough, but in my case the wires were just long enough to release the nut but still held the back of the switch in the hole.

Just push the tips back into the plastic with a small screwdriver and if you get lucky like me everything will release.

To install the tips into the new switch I used a small set of needle nose to get them started, push the switch back against the hole and pushed the wires through from the back.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by Iceaxe; 04-02-2015 at 07:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Door Ajar Switch

Quick Reply: Door Ajar Switch