C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tunnel ram vacuum ports

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 08:25 PM
Cool95vette
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 88 Posts

Default Tunnel ram vacuum ports

I'm building a stroked small block and am using the vintage Edelbrock TR1 tunnel ram set up pictured below. I just realized that there are no vacuum ports on it. I see that new tunnel rams have vacuum ports on them.

Is there any reason I can't drill and tap bungs into the plenum of this intake for vacuum ports? I'm using a Comp 282 Hydraulic roller cam and the carbs are 450 cfm if this info helps.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:10 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Can't see any reason why not. IF the casting is thick enough to support a threaded fitting. If not, you could TIG weld a bung in. I'd have to think about putting the port(s) in the bottom side of the plenum. Hide them. I'm like that.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:25 PM
Cool95vette
Pro

Originally Posted by TimAT
Can't see any reason why not. IF the casting is thick enough to support a threaded fitting. If not, you could TIG weld a bung in. I'd have to think about putting the port(s) in the bottom side of the plenum. Hide them. I'm like that.
Great idea with coming off the bottom! I hadn't thought of that. I was going to come off the back for the brake booster. Coming off the bottom for the other accessories would really clean up the look.

I'm concerned that the amount of vacuum I'd get in such a large plenum wouldn't be enough for the brakes and headlights though.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:37 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I myself would not put the vacuum ports in the bottom. Keep the ports at a right angle to the incoming airflow. That air rushing past the port will help increase vacuum. If the port is in the bottom, the incoming air will be blasting right into your drilled port and may not give you any vacuum at all. Look at the vacuum ports in most any carb or intake. They are most always at a right angle to the airflow so that the incoming airflow is rushing past the port and not blowing directly into it.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:39 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

i drilled and tapped more than one back in the day, id tap the back of the manifold toward the bottom . you can somewhat hide the hoses. if you did the bottom it is possible raw fuel could get in the port and cause a problem. glad to see someone using the old stuff. the better heads available today will help those old manifolds work better than people remember.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:49 AM
Cool95vette
Pro

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
I myself would not put the vacuum ports in the bottom. Keep the ports at a right angle to the incoming airflow. That air rushing past the port will help increase vacuum. If the port is in the bottom, the incoming air will be blasting right into your drilled port and may not give you any vacuum at all. Look at the vacuum ports in most any carb or intake. They are most always at a right angle to the airflow so that the incoming airflow is rushing past the port and not blowing directly into it.
Very good point. Thank you for the advice.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:49 AM
Super6
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I added 2 ports to an Edelbrock Victor Jr. One at the front and at the back. Kept them 90 degrees to flow.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:41 PM
Cool95vette
Pro

Thanks for the replies. One more question. According the Comp Cams dyno sheet, my cam will make the following vacuum on a 355 ci engine. 9" Hg @ 800 RPM & 11.5" Hg @ 1000 RPM w/ no load.

Will my engine being 389ci produce more vacuum and is this enough vacuum for the power brakes and headlights?

Get notified of new replies

To Tunnel ram vacuum ports

Quick Reply: Tunnel ram vacuum ports