C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling Richmond 5 spd Owners...Leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 04:30 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Default Calling Richmond 5 spd Owners...Leaks?

Have a 71 vert with the Richmond and Hurst shifter. Has 3.08 gears.
Have some fluid leaks seem to be from trans shift cross shafts. There may be others.

Anybody have a source for seals for the shafts or have experience with other leaks? Also what fluid is recommended?

As a side note, the Hurst has a problem where the stick sits forward about an inch too far forward in the console plate. The PO cut the divider to allow getting into 1st, 3rd and 5th.. This is just info for anyone who might search for info on this trans. For now it works for me too.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:11 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

If its leaking out of the shift shaft seals, they are the same as a BW Super T-10 transmission.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:00 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by mikem350
The Hurst has a problem where the stick sits forward about an inch too far forward in the console plate. The PO cut the divider to allow getting into 1st, 3rd and 5th..
The mount for the shifter has several possible positions. The farthest one to the rear will fit the console with NO interference. I use to have a Hurst before shifting to a Longs shifter on my Richmond 5 spd. Go under the car and remove the shifter from the bracket that bolts it to the side of the transmission and you should be able to move it back so it fits your stock console.

Good luck .
Old 04-01-2015, 10:59 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

I've had the earlier Doug Nash 5 speed for years. It's my understanding that most of the Nash parts carried over to the Richmond design. I've bought most of my parts from Fortes Parts Connection in Massachusetts.
Had good luck with sealing up the transmission, other than occasionally a slight drip where the two case halves came together. I'm told there's a specific RTV type sealer that is supposed to work well sealing up the case halves, but I can't recall the name of the stuff at the moment (I just used the RTV stuff I had in my toolbox at the time).
Old 04-02-2015, 09:52 AM
Auto Gear
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

RE: case halves "IMPORT GREY" RTV works well. I'd also suggest Hylomar. Valco Products handles it. Hylomar was developed to stay tacky and seal joints in Rolls Royce radial engines.

FYI Valco makes great alternatives to loctite and rtv and theyre an american company
Old 04-02-2015, 08:25 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Thanks for all the info guys. Now its work time!!

Get notified of new replies

To Calling Richmond 5 spd Owners...Leaks?

Quick Reply: Calling Richmond 5 spd Owners...Leaks?